This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 03:19:39 pm    Post subject:

Hello, everyone,

So, I'm new to this site. But I've been on ticalc.org quite frequently, and I noticed that there was a lack of a real-time strategy game for the Ti-83+ and Ti-84+ series. This, of course, is understandable, considering the calculator's limited capabilities. However, I figured it was probably time to leave turn-based strategy and go into something new, making this game entirely real-time.

My idea is to leave traditional real-time strategy and take a new approach by throwing in tactics. In the game, each player controls one ship. That ship can be used to build up a base, rush a player, upgrade economy, you name it. The trick is, you can exchange it for another unit, out of nine total available units. Each of the nine units has its own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities, so throughtout the game, a player will find himself changing his unit to accomplish his goal. Using just one unit or two different units for the entire game is a big mistake, and so is using the wrong unit at the wrong time. Examples: One unit can build structures and scout the enemy. Another unit is perfect for artillery and out-of-range assaults. Another unit is perfect for rush attacks and sneak attacks. Still another unit is best for air-superiority. I DO PLAN on having two player link play.

Attacking is done manually, as if this were a tactics game. You control your units fire, where your unit will move, and try to be better at dogfighting than your opponent it.

I've thrown together a 16-page manual describing a rough idea. And when I say "thrown together", I mean it, it's like a first-draft of a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha manual. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can! :biggrin:

So, my problem is, as much as I would like to work on this game for calculator, there are some things I'm terrible at. Biggest of all is my programming. I am TERRIBLE at programming, and I mean that in the best possible sense of the word. So I was hoping for this to be a group project, for those who aren't doing anything because they don't have any ideas.

However, I understand that many people have more important things to do, or are working on their own projects. If nobody, or few people, get involved, I'll just file away this idea and see what comes up in the future. But, if there are people out there who need something to do, or are interested in taking on another project, let me know!

Here's what I'm planning on being, but these positions are also avilable to people to want them:

Director (I am also very open to feedback and suggestions)
Terrain Sprites Designer
User Interface Sprites Designer
Map Designer
Props Sprites Designer
Building Sprites Designer
Manual Editor

Open Positions, besides the above:

Programmer. Either Assembly, Xlib or Celtic III will work, Ti-Basic will not.
Game Balancer, including deciding unit costs, abilities, and weapon power
Ship Sprites Designer
Special Effects Designer
Manual Designer, preferably someone great with organization and detail

If there is going to be a campaign for the game, these positions are also available:

Campaign Designer
Character Designer

I'll list more if I think of them. Be sure to let me know what position you want, and examples of your work are a big help, but are not required

Edit: Just a reminder that Ti-Basic programming is, by itself, out of the question, it will not handle what I hope for in this game. If you can use Xlib or Celtic III, that's great; ASM is even better, but not absolutely necessary.

Also, some graphical information: Maps will be tiled, using 16 x 16 tiles. Ship sprites are various sizes, but building sizes will be in multiples of 16--aka they will be forged into the map for better performance .

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2009 06:12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 04:38:46 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like a cool idea. The only thing I guess I might need to mention is that you only need 2 or 3 people to make this game. You could even do the entire game by yourself and post questions that you have here. I think the only thing you would have trouble on is the programing. :)

Anyway, good luck with this and if you fail once, keep trying! :biggrin:

Edit: Two player woln't work in a real time game in basic unless you use a lib (Celtic III, xLib, etc. are libs). I think you might (Though I've never tried) be able to use Omnicalc.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2009 04:41:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
whyat least3

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 09:25:21 am    Post subject:

I really like the idea, also I IMPORTANT thing is that you constantly make sure you back up the files onto your computer or other wise you'll be screwed when you lose all the files on your calc and to restart from the beginning.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 05:31:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey, sign me up! I've never done a collaborative project before, and I'd love to work on something else besides Pokemon.

EDIT:

Quote:
Director (I am also very open to feedback and suggestions)
Terrain Sprites Designer
User Interface Sprites Designer
Map Designer
Props Sprites Designer
Building Sprites Designer
Manual Editor

Open Positions, besides the above:

Programmer. Either Assembly, Xlib or Celtic III will work, Ti-Basic will not.
Game Balancer, including deciding unit costs, abilities, and weapon power
Ship Sprites Designer
Special Effects Designer
Manual Designer, preferably someone great with organization and detail

If there is going to be a campaign for the game, these positions are also available:

Campaign Designer
Character Designer

All of these things can be taken care of two or three people. Since it's your idea, I assume you could be the director. I'm still learning assembly, but I'm very well versed in xLib- and CelticIII-assisted TI-Basic, which is what I'll probably use. I can do some sprite or tilework as well. However, I dunno how well I can do at Campaign/Character Design, or game balancing. That's kinda an iffy thing for me, cause what can seem balanced to me might be horribly imbalanced to someone else :/

The game seems somewhat complicated, judging by the manual, but doable. I think we should simplify the game a bit, though, and see about creating an AI to play against.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Aug 2009 05:47:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seren

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 06:50:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm not planning on participating, but I have a suggestion. (or two)

Since each player only controls one single unit, add a hotkey to jump directly to your unit. I would also suggest a button to cycle through your various buildings.

Your main concern in this game is to not have a lockout. The fact that each player only controls 1 unit adds to little flexibility (despite what metagross thinks). The problem is that if you can add defensive buildings, the game might end up with each team simply have huge impenetrable defences.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 07:47:10 pm    Post subject:

Metagross, that's great! If you can handle programming, ship sprites and special effects (There are, so far, only a sparse number of special effects I can think of), that would be great...does that work for you? Let me know, and I'll have some starting information for you either tonight or tomorrow.

I saw from your pokemon drawings/topic that you're great with Celtic III, so let's use that language, seeing as you're well-versed in it.

Quote:
I dunno how well I can do at Campaign/Character Design, or game balancing. That's kinda an iffy thing for me, cause what can seem balanced to me might be horribly imbalanced to someone else :/

No problem. I'll leave these up for grabs for a possible third person, and we'll see how it goes. In terms of the project, these are not going to be biggies for a while.

Quote:
The game seems somewhat complicated, judging by the manual, but doable. I think we should simplify the game a bit, though, and see about creating an AI to play against.

He he he :biggrin: I'm sure as we progress, we'll be doing some game simplification. While I agree that the game itself seems complicated by the manual, the manual itself also needs some work.

Oh, and I agree about the AI. The beauty of this style of RTS is, it is probably not going to take a lot of effort to create an AI that can range from very easy to almost-impossible-to-beat.

Quote:
Since each player only controls one single unit, add a hotkey to jump directly to your unit. I would also suggest a button to cycle through your various buildings.

That's a good idea! I'm planning on using the grid next to the arrow keys--2nd, Mode, Del, Alpha, XTThetaN, Stat, Math, Apps, and Prgm--to make it easier to select a unit/building to build on the fly, since RTS does mean you need all the speed you can get. It will probably easier than Starcraft Hotkeys, as much as fans of Blizzard will protest.

As for cycling through the buildings...hmmm...I'll have to look into that...I just realized that when I talked about selecting buildings, the buildings don't really have any options you can use...

Quote:
Your main concern in this game is to not have a lockout. The fact that each player only controls 1 unit adds to little flexibility (despite what metagross thinks). The problem is that if you can add defensive buildings, the game might end up with each team simply have huge impenetrable defences.

Right you are. When we get to game balance, that is definitely going to be one of the issues to look at. Although, I'm even more worried that with the special abiliites used, defences will be a waste of money, another issue that will need to be looked at.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 09:44:12 pm    Post subject:

I think we should focus on attacking units first, and refine that system. After that, we can see to adding defensive systems (maybe instead of walls, there could be turrets that attack enemies within it's perimetre).

Also, I hope we aren't gonna start coding real soon, cause we first need to plan stuff out, and I'm working on some other projects of course ;)

You seem awful chipper, so I'm sure it won't be a problem.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 10:02:07 pm    Post subject:

Nope, I don't plan on having code for a while either. Too many people mess up on a project because they fail to plan before coding Neutral . Let's talk about it over the United Ti message system, I'll start by sending you a brief, general overview--maybe a very rough to-do list, but no code, no pictures, just something that explains better than the manual. After all, the manual only teaches how to play, not the layout of the game.

For those of you out there, I will temporaily consider the other positions filled...I don't know if S.A.D. (the code name, possible the program name as well) will have a campaign, and balancing could be down by anyone downloading a program beta...we'll see.

This forum will still be available for questions and all, but I hope to start a new topic once some progress has been made, since this was mainly a "Help Wanted" topic.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 03:58:47 pm    Post subject:

I hate the message system (though I got your message). just email me, or we can discuss it here.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 04:39:13 pm    Post subject:

'Kay, I know you don't like the message system, but I'd rather not display my email address here, so I'll send you my email address privately.
axcho

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 05:25:34 pm    Post subject:

Hot Dog wrote:
My idea is to leave traditional real-time strategy and take a new approach by throwing in tactics. In the game, each player controls one ship. That ship can be used to build up a base, rush a player, upgrade economy, you name it. The trick is, you can exchange it for another unit, out of nine total available units. Each of the nine units has its own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities, so throughtout the game, a player will find himself changing his unit to accomplish his goal.

I love this idea. One of my favorite things about making calculator games was coming up with ingenious ways to get around the technical limitations of the platform while still capturing the essence of whatever game I wanted to make. Not that I ever fully succeeded in this regard, but I had a lot of good times working on these designs. :)

I'm not sure that I can be of much assistance on this project, as my calculator programming skills are rusty, but I'll be eager to see where it goes and how it develops. Good luck! Very Happy
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 02:05:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm not sure that I can be of much assistance on this project, as my calculator programming skills are rusty, but I'll be eager to see where it goes and how it develops. Good luck!

Well, if you do want to help, we can always use more map designers and balance testers. And that goes for everybody else, too. We're quite far from these stages, but when the time comes, any help in these areas is appreciated.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2009 02:06:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 03:42:58 pm    Post subject:

When you get to that stage, I'll balance test. :)

EDIT: Post 250 Yay :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2009 03:44:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement