This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
calcdude84se

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 05:18:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm only going to open my calc up as a last resort.
The RAMPAGES program says I have 8 RAM pages, so either the program's buggy or I do have 8 pages. The only thing I could think of is that the ports to access the extra pages have been changed in some way. (If my terminology is incorrect, please inform me. You should understand what I mean)
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 05:21:16 pm    Post subject:

so 84+ hardware is completely different from 83+SE ? I thought it would look a bit like that : http://www.ftp83plus.net/frameA.htm but I suppose I should have looked for a screwdriver and figured out on my own...
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 05:33:46 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
I'm only going to open my calc up as a last resort.
Why not? It's fun! Razz
Quote:
The RAMPAGES program says I have 8 RAM pages, so either the program's buggy or I do have 8 pages.

That's good to know. I'll write another program to do more thorough testing, then.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 06:48:19 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
Quote:
The RAMPAGES program says I have 8 RAM pages, so either the program's buggy or I do have 8 pages.

That's good to know. I'll write another program to do more thorough testing, then.

Hmm... it might be worth checking the content of port $0E and $0F. We don't know much about them but according to WikiTI they are related to memory mapping and can cause troubles if their content is not $00. A quick disassembly of rom dump shows that the boot code sets their content to $00 in some place but also to $03 in others, and apparently much more often in the dump calcdude84se sent than in the one I got from my own calc.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 06:50:43 pm    Post subject:

By the way, I know for a fact that Realsound uses only page $83 out of the extra pages, and TI-OS 2.X also occasionally uses this page. So there's no question as to whether the pages actually exist.
calcdude84se

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 02:31:37 pm    Post subject:

OK, I'll be more willing to open it up... (I still don't need to yet, so I'll hold off on it).
As for ports $0E and $0F, according to Calcsys their values are both $00, so they aren't set to $03 while Calcsys is retrieving their values (that's provided that the ports simply echo the value given to them). Where in the boot code are those values set? (That is, how do they affect things that are done on the calculator?)
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 03:53:28 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
FloppusMaximus wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... it might be worth checking the content of port $0E and $0F. We don't know much about them but according to WikiTI they are related to memory mapping and can cause troubles if their content is not $00. A quick disassembly of rom dump shows that the boot code sets their content to $00 in some place but also to $03 in others, and apparently much more often in the dump calcdude84se sent than in the one I got from my own calc.

So the boot codes differ between the two calcs? Can you give details as to what's different?
calcdude84se

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 04:14:12 pm    Post subject:

I would like to know too...
The only thing I read was that ports $0E and $0F are set to $03 more in my boot code than normal. If you give me your ROM and I find a disassembler, I can compare the files for you.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 08:24:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what you mean by getting set "more than normal." In every (non-BE) version of the boot code I've seen, port 0E is set twice: once at initial power-on (where it gets set to 3), then once shortly thereafter (where it gets set to 0.) The OS also sets it to 3 when an RST 0 occurs, prior to jumping to the boot code. I don't believe there are any other times when the port is used.

Port 0F is used similarly, but is also set to 0 at a few points in the OS.
calcdude84se

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 12:54:41 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:

This is what I was talking about.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 03:46:56 am    Post subject:

Can't we go the "easy way" and e-mail ti tech support? I don't know if this is information they will give away, but it's worth a try imho.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 08:42:27 pm    Post subject:

Someone needs to send this boot code dump to BrandonW.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 09:19:36 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
Someone needs to send this boot code dump to BrandonW.

Can I also get this? I would be happy to look into, and expand my knowledge.
calcdude84se

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 05:14:33 pm    Post subject:

Looks like two more people are getting my ROM...

I contacted TI technical support. I'm waiting for an answer. I will post their response when they reply.
calcdude84se

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 03:17:11 pm    Post subject:

Here is TI's response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

I regret you are having problems using your TI-84 Plus Silver Edition calculator. Since your calculator is newer, I would assume that you have a different operating system running on your calculator which may or may not be the cause of your issue. Texas Instruments does not support the use of 3rd-party programs and applications. If you are having problems executing a program or app, you will need to contact the developer of the app for more information. Also, I would suggest taking a look at the readme file that comes all with most calculator programs downloaded from the Internet. This file usually contains information on how to run a program or app and how to troubleshoot the program or app if it does not work properly.

Another resource you can use to find answers to your questions, example calculations and other information is our Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is accessible to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

http://support.education.ti.com

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you have further questions or comments, please feel free to send me an email.

Warmest Regards,

Doug Fincher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texas Instruments
Email: ti-cares@ti.com
General Information: (800) 842-2737
Technical Support: (972) 917-8324
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me know how I'm doing. Fill out our customer survey at: http://education.ti.com/us/supportsurvey

Check out our FREE interactive tutorials!

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/si...ials.html?bid=3

---- Original Message ----
Name:
Email: jonasiek@hotmail.com
Type of Service: CalcOrProcedure
Computer Software Setup and Usage:
Product Group: GrphHH
Product: TI-84 Plus or TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
Purchase Date: 08/2008
Customer Type: Student
Product Serial#:
Comments: Texas Instruments:
I bought my TI-84 Plus Silver Edition in late 2008. I learned that my calculator had extra RAM pages and that these could be used for data storage and other practical applications. However, the popular programs on the internet that claimed to use these pages did not function as claimed. Now my friend, who owns a TI-84 Plus, which he got in mid-2005, runs these programs as documented without error. Why do these programs work on my friend's calculator and not mine? I would appreciate it if you could explain why these programs do not work on my calculator, and provide a technical description to allow the developers of these otherwise great programs to revise them.

As you can see, TI doesn't support third-party programs, and he suggests I read the README :biggrin:
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 03:35:09 pm    Post subject:

Wow...

Who would have thought to read the readme. :->
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 05:21:59 pm    Post subject:

That's silly. Maybe someone should e-mail with the emphasis that the programs fail with the exact same OS, boot code, and circumstances (having the memory fully reset on both calcs), the programs fail. Stress that the hardware appears to have been changed - all of the programs which utilize the extra 96K of ram are failing on the newer models.
calcdude84se

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 08:39:43 pm    Post subject:

I did reply and said JUST THAT. I even kindly asked for technical documentation. I'm waiting for them to respond again. Rolling Eyes
calcdude84se

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 11:54:19 am    Post subject:

Here is his reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I have forwarded a copy of your e-mail reply to my Technical Escalations team. As soon as I receive word from them, I will contact you. Please reply to this e-mail so that I may follow up with you.

Warmest Regards,

Doug Fincher

Maybe we will get technical documentation.... That would be the best thing ever. :biggrin:
Michael

Posted: 08 Sep 2009 12:28:28 pm    Post subject:

If you do get a technical reply from ti-cares, I think you'll be the first person ever.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 11 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement