This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
maggielwo

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 02:42:38 pm    Post subject:

I am making a basic RPG. At the beginning of it, the dude asks you what your name is. I stored that to a string. Now later in the game, I want to recall the string. The problem is that the string is often deleted by the user when they are just cleaning out their calculator. Is there any way to check if the string is there or not without there having an error in the program?
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 05:37:36 pm    Post subject:

Here's an ASM program I used to use for that back in the day: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/303/30341.html
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Aug 2009 05:54:04 pm    Post subject:

You could also store it in a list, which are much more program-friendly, in that you can check to see if they exist/have been altered or not.
mr. sir

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 12:43:02 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean using a converter, or storing the string directly as a list? I tried the second one, and it worked, but how do you get the name from the list?
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 01:50:47 pm    Post subject:

too bad you are going pure basic. CelticIII has a good library for instances like this. It's perfect for RPGs.

Anyhoo, welcome to UTI, Maggie.
ztrumpet

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 02:26:37 pm    Post subject:

mr. sir wrote:
Do you mean using a converter, or storing the string directly as a list? I tried the second one, and it worked, but how do you get the name from the list?

You can't get the name from a list using pure basic.
You would have to convert it using inString.
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 03:56:06 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:

Sure you could. Just in a roundabout manner :)

String to number conversion:

Code:
Input Str1
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ->Str2
0->A
For(F,1,length(Str1
100A+inString(Str2,sub(Str1,F,1->A
End

This code converts a 7 character string into a single number A, which can then be put into a list. For names with more than 7 characters, just use 2 elements and 2 strings.

Number to string conversion:

Code:
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ->Str2
":->Str1
While A
.01A->A
sub(Str2,100fPart(Ans),1)+Str1->Str1
iPartA->A
End
sub(Str1,1,length(Str1)-1->Str1

This code converts the number A back into a 7 character String. If you need more characters than what is available with only the alphabet, all you need to do is add on characters to the end of Str2. It doesn't matter in what order they are in, as long as the 2 strings in the two programs are the same.

You can store a string directly to a list, but that isn't what you want. What that does, is that you can store expresions such as "L1+L2"->L3, and then whenever you acces L3, it will return the sum of L1 and L2
ztrumpet

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 04:23:17 pm    Post subject:

Builderboy2005 wrote:
ztrumpet wrote:

Sure you could. Just in a roundabout manner Smile
I ment if it was list LABC then you couldn't get ABC. (Just a little misunderstanding... ) :)

Builderboy, I like your method, but you might want to add:
Builderboy2005 wrote:
If you need more characters than what is available with only the alphabet, all you need to do is add on characters to the end of Str2.
Str2 can have up to 99 characters in it.
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 05:09:58 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
I ment if it was list LABC then you couldn't get ABC. (Just a little misunderstanding... ) Smile

Ah, yes thats true. But if you were the one creating the data, you wouldn't need to find out what the name was, since you created it!

ztrumpet wrote:
Builderboy, I like your method, but you might want to add:
Builderboy2005 wrote:
If you need more characters than what is available with only the alphabet, all you need to do is add on characters to the end of Str2.
Str2 can have up to 99 characters in it.

Oops, your right! :blush: yeah only 99 chars, and that should be plenty.
mr. sir

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 03:19:54 pm    Post subject:

That's not what I meant. Say you have "ABC"→Str1. You can then do Str1→LDEF and not return an error. But when you access LDEF, you get an error.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 04:02:50 pm    Post subject:

Still no way to get it back using Basic. What you're really doing is attaching a formula to the list. You get an error because there's no way to evaluate "ABC" to get a list, but the real problem is that you can't do anything to the formula except evaluate it.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 07:37:10 pm    Post subject:

So why can't you do expr("Labc"?
Builderboy2005

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 10:32:06 pm    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
So why can't you do expr("Labc"?

thats the exact same thing as just executing Labc. Once you store a string to a list, there is no way to recall the string in any way, because the string isn't acting like a string, it is acting like a formula.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement