This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
shrubber

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 04:59:28 pm    Post subject:

This really isn't a technical problem, but it is irritating and I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off this behavior in the TI-89 Titanium calculator. The problem I'm having is that when I do calculations with variables, I will type in something like a/(1-b), and the calculator will multiply everything by -1 in order to reverse the order of the denominator to: -a/(b-1). While this doesn't change the values of the equation, it does make it a lot harder to figure out what's going on when you look at the result. I'm sure there's something in the programming that basically puts everything in alphabetical order, because the calculator sorts variables that way too. But I was wondering if there is a setting that I can change that will keep the ordering of the variables consistent with how I typed them in.

Thanks for your help!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 04:05:58 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know, there's no way to turn this off. It's a vital part of the way the calculator simplifies expressions: in order to combine like terms, it needs to convert all like terms to the same form first. The only solution is to type in the variables in alphabetical order to begin with, that way the calculator won't rearrange anything.

Sorry to be of no help.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement