This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 09:11:42 am    Post subject:

the is program uses the extra RAM pages (83+SE, 84+ and 84+SE actually have 128kb of RAM) to store data instead of occupying the pages used by the OS. the advantage of that is that it extends the storage capacity and should theoretically allow faster I/O than ROM. The disavantage is that this cannot be accessed directly by any part of the OS whatsoever (including Basic programs) and that it will disappear upon RAM clear.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 09:30:29 am    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
the is program uses the extra RAM pages (83+SE, 84+ and 84+SE actually have 128kb of RAM) to store data instead of occupying the pages used by the OS. the advantage of that is that it extends the storage capacity and should theoretically allow faster I/O than ROM. The disavantage is that this cannot be accessed directly by any part of the OS whatsoever (including Basic programs) and that it will disappear upon RAM clear.

It doesn't disappear upon RAM clear... (this is how Omnicalc RAM Restore works)
Igrek

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 09:59:49 am    Post subject:

Well there is actually (nearly) no advantage over using the archive. But you're right I shouldn't call both the program and the extra ram pages it uses 'xram'. In fact this program just increases the storage space on the calculator by 96 kilobytes, that's all.
Edit: I probably haven't refreshed this page for too long.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Aug 2009 10:01:02 am; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 10:50:31 am    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
It doesn't disappear upon RAM clear... (this is how Omnicalc RAM Restore works)

Depend what RAM clear you consider : software (done by the OS in certain cases by filling 8000-FFFF with zeros) or hardware when the batteries run-out (including the backup one of course). RAM needs power to keep its content, flash doesn't.

As for advantage over archive I think there are at least two : avoid garbage collection/defrag and avoid overusing the flash (it has a smaller lifetime than RAM). I have not made any measurement so I can't tell there is any actual performance penalty using flash, except the delay required to unlock/lock flash (page swapping probably as the same cost regardless of the memory swapped in/out a bank).
Igrek

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 10:52:58 am    Post subject:

I hope I have fixed it now, pheww...
[attachment=2738:XRAM.8xp]

Last edited by Guest on 08 Aug 2009 10:54:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement