This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2009 04:05:37 pm    Post subject:

I'll take a few stack/TASM bugs over these miniature demons any day. Dangit! I just wanna go outside! 8)

Quote:
"Bad air" (mal aria) is a persistent problem in my neck of the woods, and the pesky mosquitoes the come along with it. I've got a feeling some of the mosquitoes here aren't fazed by DEET anymore; and the newer repellent icaridin isn't available where I live. Oh well.

Oh yeah, I think the US used to have malaria. Nowadays, Lyme's Disease is going around. Never tried picardin, but I had okay results with 30% DEET on Texas mosquitos. It didn't really stop the swarming, just the biting. It was good on gnats too. Some days, the gnats were so thick, I needed a bandanna to keep from inhaling them!

Went to REI yesterday to work on my ultimate anti-bug trailrun kit. Mostly, I got repellents for general use, permetrin to kill anything that lands on my clothes, bite treatments (iodine, tweezers, saliva remover), and a bug cap. The bug cap is a neat a baseball cap that deploys into a full head & neck screen. Hopefully that one's a little excessive, but I try to keep "overkill" out of my vocabulary. Still looking for Deer fly patches
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 08:31:23 pm    Post subject:

I once heard of a radio tower that killed millions of male mosquitoes by accidentally emitting the same frequency pitch as the female mosquito's mating call. Seems a bit drastic, but I wonder...
ztrumpet

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 08:38:57 pm    Post subject:

The ultimate mosquito killer...
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 09:36:06 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
I once heard of a radio tower that killed millions of male mosquitoes by accidentally emitting the same frequency pitch as the female mosquito's mating call. Seems a bit drastic, but I wonder...

It most probably drove the local dogs mad, too.

thornahawk
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jul 2009 11:06:58 pm    Post subject:

That's a pretty darn good idea. Disrupt their reproduction and their numbers decline. I can see that being a good idea as long as there's no bat population or anything that depends on them. If so, I say bring on the bats!

This is weird, but someone at work said the deer flies have been out all summer! Just I've been sticking to the no-fly zones.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jul 2009 11:07:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 04:32:01 pm    Post subject:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I went to a doctor's appointment today. I pulled up to the parking spot and put a foot outside the car and guess what I saw trying to eat my door!...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 04:48:23 pm    Post subject:

Really? I didn't know that the purple flesh-eating claw monsters had spread to this continent yet.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 05:41:13 pm    Post subject:

All I found that was surprising lately was a praying mantis on a doorknob.

Those guys make a day more interesting (but not worse, that's for sure!).

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jul 2009 05:42:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 11:32:24 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Really? I didn't know that the purple flesh-eating claw monsters had spread to this continent yet.

Worse! It was a deer fly! Teeth with wings! Teeth with wings!

But I didn't panic. I did what any sane person would do. I locked myself in and did 80mph back on the highway to shake it off. I'll take those praying mantises and corn spiders anyday over these horrors!
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 09:31:53 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:

Worse! It was a deer fly! Teeth with wings! Teeth with wings!

But I didn't panic. I did what any sane person would do. I locked myself in and did 80mph back on the highway to shake it off. I'll take those praying mantises and corn spiders anyday over these horrors!

Yeah, I hate bugs too. Especially the flying ones. Sure those spiders can byte you, (haha byte), but the ones that can fly just come after you! They are evil bugs. evil I tell you!
AMkiller

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 09:50:09 am    Post subject:

yesterday, I was 'bitten' by a wasp, after we burned a wasp nest. (what some paper and some firework can do)

Those things are really anoying, anyone some other creative ideas how to handle them?
ztrumpet

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 11:33:09 am    Post subject:

Ouch (you got bitten), but such a funny way to kill wasps!
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 01:04:56 pm    Post subject:

You destroy their home and they bite you? Yeah, that's the most unreasonable thing I've heard of! Annoying buggers Wink
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 07:42:01 pm    Post subject:

The only wasps we could trust back home were mud daubers and black/blue wasps. Their nest-building was actually fun to watch and they seem to carry on without much interest in stinging people. Yellow jackets and red wasps on the other hand pull crap like charging at you for no reason. Even the freakin' corn spiders didn't want anything to do with them. AND WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CRAWLING ON MY BACK?!!?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 07:58:44 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
AND WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CRAWLING ON MY BACK?!!?
*busts out the purple-colored pesticide*

I know of a pest control technician who says that he never gets bitten by mosquitoes...

Perhaps the work conditions have something to do with this peculiar circumstance? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Guest on 31 Jul 2009 08:05:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 05:37:25 pm    Post subject:

That must be one lucky pest guy.

Today's been unusually cool and windy (conditions deer flies are known to avoid). Despite my better judgment I might actually go outside or something. Will still take all the repellents with me.

Was also thinking about their eyesight. If they depend on their vision so much for hunting, couldn't I wear a shirt collar with fake spider silhouettes on it? I mean surely they must know how to avoid spiders. Seems like that would make them avoid these areas and go straight for those sticky hat patches.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 06:29:10 pm    Post subject:

It'd be worth a shot. What I REALLY think you do is try carrying a portable VanDeGraaff generator around with you. It might sting a bit, but it'd be so much fun to see bolts of lightning arcing out of your fingers and ANNIHILATING the idiotic things. Bwahahahaha!

...If that would work, that is.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Aug 2009 06:32:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Igrek

Posted: 01 Aug 2009 06:58:42 pm    Post subject:

You might want to try a spiderman suit Razz
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 07:38:11 pm    Post subject:

Well, it's cloudy this evening (flies hate it) so I might actually go to the park. I see a lot of people out and about without long sleeves or full body suits and none of them seem to be writhing in pain. But if I see anything with more than 4 legs, I'm outta there!
Galandros

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 06:08:26 am    Post subject:

I was sucked by a mosquito while watching a film. -.-
I am scratching my arms and legs all day. And gets worse when I am running.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Aug 2009 06:09:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement