This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Exfyre

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 11:59:49 pm    Post subject:

OKay, so I started work on this RPG around 3 years ago, on and off, and I've finally got a solid demo, meaning it's playable and slightly interesting. I just found out about unitedti.org a few days ago so I decided to see if I could get some advice and help on this project.

Project Goal:
Make a good-looking, fast-running, content-heavy, fast-running, fun-playing RPG based off of Final Fantasy Legend II for the Gameboy.

Project Highlights:

Map and Moving ->
+Currently supports maps of any size
+Supports larger maps for scrolling
+4-way sprite directions, meaning there is one sprite for each direction -> lrud (leftrightupdown)
+"Transparency" Currently uses a fake transparency for the leader sprite (meaning the background shows through the outer edges of the sprites)
+Excellent sprite collection (see pictures 5-9)
-Movement is slower than I desire, and a bit laggy
-Map doesn't scroll smoothly, it jerks 16 pixels in lrud when moving

Battle ->
+Supports multiple enemies of a single type
+Supports four player units
+Infinitely upgradeable with attack types, graphics, and such (limited only by space)
+Gold an stat system complete
-No support for multiple units of different types
-Slowish loading

Start Menu ->
+Replica of the original FFL2 menu
+Allows for saving
+Allows for changing around the order that weapons appear on a character
-Many menu items aren't built in

Title Screen ->
+It works!
-It sucks!

My Limitations ->
-I can't use Celtic III, as it has a signature error when sending to my calc
-I don't know ASM

Bad Stuff ->
-Uses around 20-30 pictures
-Takes up a LOT of RAM

What I would really like is for any suggestions that could optimize my code for performance.
I would like help with creating a smooth scrolling effect that will not slow down the game considerably.

But for right now I'm just announcing this project and releasing some goodies =D

I would also like to know how this program fared on other people's calculators, so please let me know how it goes if you try to install it!
[attachment=2705:SCREEN010006.gif]
I know the screeny is very sketchy, but I had to improvise =/ It looks & works better on the calc.
[attachment=2704:68.rar]
Galandros

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 07:09:25 am    Post subject:

Good demo screen. Rushed demo?

I loved the trees graphics. Houses are very pleasant too. The rest is good also.

In optimization, did you see TI|BD with attention? It has some little tricks that you may use. Or you can see other people's code and improve yours...
Exfyre

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 09:53:33 am    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
Good demo screen. Rushed demo?

I loved the trees graphics. Houses are very pleasant too. The rest is good also.

In optimization, did you see TI|BD with attention? It has some little tricks that you may use. Or you can see other people's code and improve yours...

what is TI|BD?
ztrumpet

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 10:45:01 am    Post subject:

TI Basic Developer.
It's 83 basic home page is here:
http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/home
It's a great place for learning new commands or other stuff.
Exfyre

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 06:51:50 pm    Post subject:

I read a bunch of stuff on the site and all I've figured out so far are the names of the things I already use in my programs (like look-up tables) =/
I have experience in almost every method of BASIC optimization on the site (5 years of TI-BASICing), so I guess I'm looking for something stronger than BASIC, usable with the code I have, and less brain-distorting than straight assembly.
Anyway, has anyone gotten the game installed on a calculator yet? I especially would like response from those with ti-83+ and 84+ since I only have a 84+se
Galandros

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 03:04:23 am    Post subject:

exfyre wrote:
I read a bunch of stuff on the site and all I've figured out so far are the names of the things I already use in my programs (like look-up tables) =/
I have experience in almost every method of BASIC optimization on the site (5 years of TI-BASICing), so I guess I'm looking for something stronger than BASIC, usable with the code I have, and less brain-distorting than straight assembly.
Anyway, has anyone gotten the game installed on a calculator yet? I especially would like response from those with ti-83+ and 84+ since I only have a 84+se

Great you know the tricks to improve the game. BBC BASIC is powerful and you can get xLib kind of graphics with no libs. Wink I am experimenting to see if a massive RPG can be done or not.

With 83+ the only issue is speed and memory... 84+ only worry about size.
Exfyre

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 02:55:20 pm    Post subject:

I know BBC Basic is powerful, but wouldn't I have to rewrite the entire game in BBC language to get it to run?
Galandros

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 04:09:02 pm    Post subject:

exfyre wrote:
I know BBC Basic is powerful, but wouldn't I have to rewrite the entire game in BBC language to get it to run?
Oh right, you asked something without rewriting. No there isn't anything yet.

But about libs, CelticIII seems to run faster than xLib...

brandonw in his svn had the draft of a new TI-BASIC interpreter using hooks if I remember well. But it had very little code.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement