This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 May 2009 08:56:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, as i sit awake at night listening to my mouse run on this annoyingly lout wheel, i wondered if i could hook up a small motor to it and have a small generator. (eg: a cd player motor, small 1.5-3v motor) I found something like it on instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/ECRN5XLNDSET9K6D0Z/ but i need a way for it to charge batteries. Yes, i know it would be very inefficient, but i was gonna make it for a proof of concept or something. I just cant find a way to store it to batteries. maybe some kind of small charger, but i cant seem to find one, if their is one..any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:
Found some other things like im talking about:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wind-Turbi...s-Rea/?ALLSTEPS

Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2009 09:02:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 May 2009 11:03:59 pm    Post subject:

Well, it's tricky. But if the holding torque on that motor is low enough, it's doable. Even if it isn't, there's other motors. The rest depends on the battery.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 03:40:03 pm    Post subject:

I was just hoping to slowly charge AAAs or AAs. i just dont know how to do it. Mabey ill just have it power some leds...
ForthReich

Posted: 05 May 2009 07:45:39 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
I was just hoping to slowly charge AAAs or AAs. i just dont know how to do it. Mabey ill just have it power some leds...

leds...leds....ohhhh LEDs now I understand.
I s'pose you would want the biggest generator you could on this to get that enormous mouse slimmed down a bit......
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 08:20:16 pm    Post subject:

Hey! my mouse isnt that fat, it runs on that wheel constantly, which is why i want to use it as a generator...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 May 2009 09:09:10 am    Post subject:

Hey, you know how it is. Summer's coming, gotta tone up for that beach vacation.

If you're still interested in the rat race, you can power your LEDs off a Joule Thief. It's a self-oscillating DC-DC Converter that can light the brightest led off very little power. There's a diagram for a better-performing version (Scroll down to the words "A Circuit Enhancement"). It's not just good for leds, it could just as well charge a NiCad battery or a supercap.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 May 2009 04:44:57 pm    Post subject:

wow, that joule thief look amazin! and so does the Circuit Enhancement link. Im definatley gonna try one of these, but i dont know wich yet, mabey both..right after i finish putting these light in... Thanks again Digi!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 May 2009 06:26:14 pm    Post subject:

I really recommend the second "enhanced" version. The first one didn't work me, but his website has the better transformer tutorial if you ask me.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement