This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 05:30:10 pm    Post subject:

The initial testing of the new movement routine has gone very well. There's been a pretty good speed increase, and the execution time for tiles is somewhat more uniform. I believe the reason for these improvements is twofold: (1) There aren't as many If:Then blocks so there's less code to sift through, and (2) Many tiles have very similar actions/effects (like items, or doors, etc...) so certain things were being calculated as a function of tile number, but now, with the new system, everything is hard-coded.

I tried Celtic III's det(23 and det(24 commands and, except for a couple little bugs, there was an even larger speed increase. det(24 doesn't strip the newline so very quickly my program got filled with tons of newlines hint hint Smile

These improvements have come at a cost of nearly doubling the size of movement code; what once took 583 bytes now takes 1115 bytes. By rearranging certain commands common to all tiles (like the return value stating whether walkable or not) I should be able to cut out 2*48=96 bytes, but it's still much larger than what it was (but the program can be in the archive so it's not taking a chunk out of RAM).

I've also finished inverting the HUD and adjusting the sprite display.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Apr 2009 05:33:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 02 May 2009 04:00:54 pm    Post subject:

If anyone's interested, here's the new engine in action. Note that there isn't a sizable delay anymore whenever the player hits a door/key/chip. It also took me a few dozen tries to get these since I kept over-shooting (good indicator of the speed increase, bad for my temper Sad)

Level 1:

(please excuse the horrible quality of that shot, the file was too large so I had to take the recording down to 9 friggin frames per second instead of 33)

Level 2:

Level 2 again:

I tried changing the sprite based on direction but now it just looks weird, so I probably need to get different sprites.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 May 2009 06:02:02 pm    Post subject:

looking good :)

you should erase the run indicator, unless it is loading something that takes longer than 5 seconds
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 02 May 2009 06:23:02 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
you should erase the run indicator, unless it is loading something that takes longer than 5 seconds

It wouldn't be BASIC without the run indicator Razz
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 07:28:26 am    Post subject:

General rule: Keep the run indicator on while developing, take out for the end product Wink..

I worked on a couple Asm projects, and I keep the run indicator on normally. And people are amazed to see "basic" run that fast haha..
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:04:36 pm    Post subject:

kalan_vod wrote:
I worked on a couple Asm projects, and I keep the run indicator on normally. And people are amazed to see "basic" run that fast haha..

I was planning on pretending to be modest and hide my ego, but since you brought it up Kalan: I'm leaving the run indicator as proof to everyone it's in BASIC cuz it's that awesome :P

On a semi-serious note, I had actually forgotten about the indicator since it's hidden in the corner :")
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:17:02 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
(please excuse the horrible quality of that shot, the file was too large so I had to take the recording down to 9 friggin frames per second instead of 33)

you think thats bad? i have an 9 fps 2-color gif thats over 8 MB...
and i didnt even finish the level Neutral
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:26:47 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
simplethinker wrote:

you think thats bad? i have an 9 fps 2-color gif thats over 8 MB...
and i didnt even finish the level Neutral

Where are you uploading your (8MB) images? On both imageshack and photobucket, if I have a screenie more than like 400kb I get an error and it won't upload.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 04:45:04 pm    Post subject:

upload it to your host (wikidot is good, 300 mb, unlimited bandwidth, no ads)

be warned, though, it fills up hour host FAST
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2009 05:07:35 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
Where are you uploading your (8MB) images? On both imageshack and photobucket, if I have a screenie more than like 400kb I get an error and it won't upload.

Try http://www.mediafire.com
It's where I upload most of my screenies for CaDan. Just have to remember the URL to the image if you upload w/o an account, tho.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 05 May 2009 05:17:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement