This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 11:06:23 pm    Post subject:

For those of you who may not frequent Omnimaga, over the past few months I've been working on a port of Chip's Challenge for calculators. Powered by Celtic III, I intend to bring this classic game to the TI-84 series calculators. At least the TI-83+SE is recommended, but it is playable on a regular 83+.

This demo contains levels 1-4 and 6-7 of the original game, with some minor changes due to the calculator's limitations. More info and instructions for installation and game-play can be found in the readme.

Enjoy :biggrin:

[attachment=2620:ChipDemo1.00b.zip]
[edit] Unfortunately, I've discovered a small bug. The game quits after level 6 (the 5th level you play) and not level 7. This can be fixed by going to prgmZEND and changing the line "If L>.5length(Str9" to "If L>1+.5length(Str9".

[edit again]Okay, I updated the demo to fix that problem.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009 12:39:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 01:35:05 am    Post subject:

This looks truly awesome! Does it only work on the 84+(SE), or the 83+(SE) too? You should clarify, because I know some games (mostly grayscale) don't work on the 83+BE.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 08:23:06 am    Post subject:

Wow! That is super impressive work!

Runs really fast too Smile.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Mar 2009 08:24:15 am; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 11:23:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This looks truly awesome! Does it only work on the 84+(SE), or the 83+(SE) too? You should clarify, because I know some games (mostly grayscale) don't work on the 83+BE.

At least the 83+SE is recommended since on my regular 83+ the speed was horrendous (I can't believe I forgot to stick that in the readme). Eventually I'll add in the timer, so it will be for the 84 series only. Although I might release a 83+ version without the timer.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 11:51:16 am    Post subject:

That looks great! good work Smile
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 01:07:28 pm    Post subject:

powered by CelticTM III©

i couldn't resist... Rolling Eyes
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 01:09:41 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
powered by CelticTM III©

i couldn't resist... Rolling Eyes

I was tempted to do that myself, but I couldn't find the right symbols Very Happy
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 02:08:07 pm    Post subject:

Neutral
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 04:02:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm finally done with exams, and I have a two week break before the spring term starts (there's a course on Differential Geometry I couldn't resist Very Happy). If I can get motivated, there should be a ton of progress. Some stuff I have completely planned out:
- Invert the HUD
- Adjust display for when the player is near walls (instead of adding 3 blanks on every side display the sprite not in the center of the screen)
- New idea for movement: Have all commands for tiles in one program, and depending on the tile (which will just be an integer) copy the needed code to a subprogram and run the subprogram. No need for If:Then or Goto/Lbl; just transfer the three or so lines at 3N-2 to a program and run it (might work well, might not; worth a try).
- Four more levels (they each contain some situations for tile arrangement that need special attending to)
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 04:37:22 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
I'm finally done with exams, and I have a two week break before the spring term starts (there's a course on Differential Geometry I couldn't resist Very Happy ). If I can get motivated, there should be a ton of progress. Some stuff I have completely planned out:
- Invert the HUD
- Adjust display for when the player is near walls (instead of adding 3 blanks on every side display the sprite not in the center of the screen)
- New idea for movement: Have all commands for tiles in one program, and depending on the tile (which will just be an integer) copy the needed code to a subprogram and run the subprogram. No need for If:Then or Goto/Lbl; just transfer the three or so lines at 3N-2 to a program and run it (might work well, might not; worth a try).
- Four more levels (they each contain some situations for tile arrangement that need special attending to)

^^^ might not want to do that depending on how big the program is.

i don't really know how its programmed, but there is a small delay in lineread depending on how many lines in particular data is. in my own programs, recalling data for say, Eevee, takes longer than reading data on bulbasaur.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 05:11:25 pm    Post subject:

metagross111 wrote:
^^^ might not want to do that depending on how big the program is.

i don't really know how its programmed, but there is a small delay in lineread depending on how many lines in particular data is. in my own programs, recalling data for say, Eevee, takes longer than reading data on bulbasaur.

If you look at prgmZMOVE in the demo you'll see how messy it is, and how much space (and computation power) is wasted with those darned If:Then:Else blocks. I could probably stick the rarer tiles in the back of the program.

One of the reasons I'm looking at a routine like this is is the size of the maps is a bit unwieldy. The largest maps (which includes about 90% of all levels) are 32x32, and I have trouble making sure there's enough RAM to store to them (I use List▶matr to reduce this RAM requirement for Ans but it still sometimes causes a memory error). My trials with full 32x32 size maps led me to write an ASM program to convert a hex string to a matrix. I later added the use of decimals in my tilemaps, so that program was useless (though currently I'm working with smaller maps so it isn't a problem). I've realized that unless I make the user have every possible byte of RAM free, I need to use that program (that, store each entry of the matrix in double-nested For( loops which would add nearly unreasonable load times, or switch to Celtic III's string tilemapper which would still need integers). My current system (using decimals) significantly reduced the time movement took to compute, so I'm hoping to find a better way with integral tile numbers than a ton of If:Then blocks.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 05:45:15 pm    Post subject:

that's.......

that's actually pretty a cool
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 06:09:54 pm    Post subject:

metagross111 wrote:
that's.......

that's actually pretty damn cool

Thanks :biggrin: (which part are you talking about though).

The more I think about it, that delay for lines deep in the program could prove useful. If I can get frame rate to be somewhat uniform I might be able to implement a decent clock on the 83+ calcs. If I put the routines for tiles with the fewest commands at the back of the program that would add a delay based on how short the routine is. Most tiles don't have a lot of commands so I wouldn't need too long of a wait. And for the short commands I could actually hard-code delays for each tile to improve the uniformity. (keep in mind this is pure speculation coming out of my a)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 04:04:06 pm    Post subject:

Out of curiosity which University do you attend? I thought that most schools in the Grand Rapids area have their exams next week.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 04:47:54 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
(keep in mind this is pure speculation coming out of my ass)

WHAT? you are typing this on the toilet?!?!?

:sick:
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 07:04:47 pm    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
Out of curiosity which University do you attend? I thought that most schools in the Grand Rapids area have their exams next week.

Eastern Michigan University. I didn't expect to be done so soon either (it still doesn't feel like finals time, even though I'm done with all of them).

darkstone knight wrote:
simplethinker wrote:
(keep in mind this is pure speculation coming out of my ass)

WHAT? you are typing this on the toilet?!?!?

:sick:

It's an expression meaning "random neurons firing accidentally became a coherent thought process"
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 09:41:27 pm    Post subject:

So that's a yes?

Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2009 10:31:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 10:14:03 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
So that's a yes?

Metaphorically. Typing something is most similar to talking from your mouth, which is most commonly a result of thinking about what's being said. Now, since there was little rigorous thought put into the idea, it doesn't qualify as "talking from the mouth", which leaves my nose, another part, and my a. The latter was chosen to take the place of not talking from the mouth (intelligible) yet talking. Is that clearer? Razz
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 07:24:32 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps we should start a new thread about the different types of bodily commnication? Laughing
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 11:00:52 pm    Post subject:

Following much earlier in the thread, there *is* an additional pair of commands in Celtic III that allows line reading to be performed with uniform timings, regardless of where the line occurs in the file. Not all of the bugs in it has been worked out, so please go ahead and test that for me, wouldya?

If it works perfectly as-is, the only downside to the pair is that an index file is generated that would be required to use the alternate lineread command. The upside is that the index file can also remain in archive.

btw, the commands are det(23...) and det(24...)
Should read the readme file for the full set of warnings.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement