This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2009 07:10:24 pm    Post subject:

thebetter1 wrote:
Am I missing something? I thought rand just returns a decimal between 0 and 1 and takes no arguments.
Well, try rand(N for different values of N. Then, you could hit the books and other forms of documentation to read up on the TI-Basic commands that you think you might know everything about, and learn something new. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 05:47:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Apr 2009 06:21:41 pm    Post subject:

Okay, it seems to work pretty well. But what's wrong with my old method? It creates a very accurate delay and causes very little speed reduction when no delay is wanted. Also, size isn't the biggest issue, as the final game will be several hundred kilobytes anyway because of all the data.

I've been considering changes to my previous ideas for the battle system. I know that it will be possible to move forward or back, and each individual enemy can do the same. Would it look better to have the enemies on the top of the screen and you at the bottom, or the enemies at the right and you on the left? For distance, should it be a number of units (such as feet), or should it be in a few set stages (close, crossbow range, spell range, etc.)?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2009 06:35:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2009 09:35:39 pm    Post subject:

The space on the calculator is finite. Using double or even triple the number of bytes to accomplish what only a small number will can be thought of as just wasteful. (Obviously, the degree of that perception varies between individuals.) Though, I'd also venture to suggest that it's lazy, and maybe even inconsiderate when it comes to the amount of space that gets used up on others' calculators. Plus, as a habit, it's along the same lines as hard-coding something that ends up needing 50,000 bytes, without a concern as to how much that is, and without contemplating ways to reduce the file size (by way of selecting a different variable type, or using a loop, etc.).

We could use crude bitumen to power our vehicles. The car will still inevitably reach its destination, but it'd certainly take longer to get there; it might mean putting more into the gas tank, since much of that material would be excess sludge that the car could do without; and the engine will probably work harder for it in the long run. Furthering the analogy, one should try to figure out what combination of fuels is most efficient: use less, but keep the potency. Sure, there's testing (and retesting) involved, but mankind sure wouldn't have gotten a rocket into space by using crude bitumen. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2009 09:44:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 09:33:18 pm    Post subject:

Isn't the delay for using an Else clause supposed to be less than that of using rand though? The main issue here is speed, not size. I'm obviously not concerned with inefficiencies in speed that occur when the delay is being executed; this will simply allow me to put in fewer factorials. Ultimately, the size difference is less than 10 bytes. When you compare this to the 2kb I intentionally added to add speed over a For loop, I think it's on the right track.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 10:07:30 pm    Post subject:

Why, pray tell, couldn't you use a wait condition above rand?

Furthermore, adding bytes for a longer delay, versus changing an integer for a longer delay.

Obvious choice, if you ask me.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2010 05:47:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 May 2009 10:31:11 pm    Post subject:

Oh, did I forget to mention that I switched to the rand( method weeks ago?

I'm now getting into the healing system. I'm planning on 2 hp per day, plus a 50% chance of one more, a 1/3 chance of another, and a 1/5 chance of a 5th point. The character's first aid skill will passively increase these chances; I set up the random system so that the skill value is the lower bound of the random number generated, so a higher skill gives a higher chance, and a skill of 100 guarantees that 5 hp will be recovered each day.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 May 2009 06:43:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna be putting this game on hold for a little while. I'm entering a game in the Omnimaga contest. Once that's done, I'll get back to this.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Jul 2009 04:06:56 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I got another demo out. Details are in the first post in this thread.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement