This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Galandros

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 08:16:40 am    Post subject:

I intend to host my website with TI stuff. Very Happy And this topic will be used to speed up his development, post the link and discuss it.

I have been playing with html and css lately. But I have some doubts in mind about web development:
- tables vs. css: is better to make the "skeleton" of the site in base of table with no border or just styles? I used tables but I can't figure what is best...

- what is the problem with frames? I read that some developers don't like too much but I think is a useful way to keep the top part with links and such easily changed. So I am going to use but still don't comprehend too much their point. I know that styles can make some frames and table effects.

I am making the template for my site and have in my mind the layout. I plan to make this night the headings styles and other things.
Once I get the template finished I think will be pretty fast the website progress.

Also:
- I have a host but I would to know if there a good/great/awesome that you know. My objective is totally free, don't get down too often, a generous bandwidth and storage (200 MB to storage is enough) and if possible a good domain and no ads. This is in order: the first are the most important.
- A good, simple counter of visits. This I can find with few search but if you know one good, mention, please.

Now, TI stuff:
I have being playing as well with asm so I have some little surprises for asm development. Don't expect big things but can reveal useful.
And in BASIC I will post my math things, discoveries, 5 minutes programs, etc..
Other things I have been mentioning before in forums.

Ok, is all for now. I will give news. Smile
PS: please don't move this topic to General Coding and Design because is also intended to give news...
PS2: don't need to do intensive search for me. Just say if you know something.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 09:47:44 am    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
- tables vs. css: is better to make the "skeleton" of the site in base of table with no border or just styles? I used tables but I can't figure what is best...

fuck tables, use <div> Rolling Eyes

i created my first website using tables, then switched to <div>
much better (imo)
Galandros

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 02:35:34 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
Galandros wrote:

fuck tables, use <div> Rolling Eyes

i created my first website using tables, then switched to <div>
much better (imo)
I think you are right. I got to do that too. Still don't comprehend the frames...
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 02:45:42 pm    Post subject:

dont use frames... they make you website scream:
"hey look, this site uses frames, it must be made by a newb. *looks at copyright info*"
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 03:00:01 pm    Post subject:

Yea, frames are pretty old school. Not many people use them any more and they also tend to throw search engines way off. If it's a casual site I suppose you could use them. It's up to you really.
Galandros

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 03:36:39 pm    Post subject:

No better reasons, really?! Well I hope I won't need to change the links many times...

I have been reading grayscale stuff instead of doing the headings. xD
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 05:32:55 pm    Post subject:

If you host has php. You can make the navigation system and all other information needed across everypage in their own separate files. Then you can include the files into the proper location.
Galandros

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 10:17:50 am    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
If you host has php. You can make the navigation system and all other information needed across everypage in their own separate files. Then you can include the files into the proper location.
Yes, it supports because it was a host suggested to use an online tool for a game and needed php.
I will see if that can be easily achieved. I have an reasonable practise with it xhtml and css now. In JavaScript I didn't try to do anything yet. I will make the classic hours in the page and other things. php is a bit of excess of time in the page.

I have being doing some stuff.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 02:27:56 pm    Post subject:

As an example of how to include a standard template for your website I have uploaded an example website that utilizes a heading file and a footing file. If you want to create another page it is as simple as including the heading. Creating a div called content and placing your content inside that div. Then at the end you include the footing file.

This makes it very simple to make changes to the header or footer across all pages. If you want to get really intricate, you could actually make a template file and pull information from a database to populate the different pages, but that is a little overkill for you to make an entire content management system for a simple website.

In my example you will notice that I hastily threw it together to demonstrate how an include works. It would be better to have a separate include for the sidebar and one for the header and one for the footer. I hope that this gives you a good idea of how to make a simple template system so that new pages are easy to create and it is also easy to make site wide changes to the formatting.
Galandros

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 03:38:11 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't work in my hard drive for some reason. I also found that include command in a php tutorial.
But I will host that and see. Thanks, and only for including the header, it will have php as extension. More than it deserves. xP

I have to study -.-, so only in next week I will have the template complete. I hope I don't loose my enthusiasm to write all the articles.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 05:17:42 pm    Post subject:

The reason why it doesn't work on your own computer is because you do not have php installed on your machine so it does not execute the script before it loads the html of the webpage. A simple way to install php and apache on your own computer is to download either LAMP, MAMP, or WAMP depending if you have linux, mac, or windows. It stands for (computer type) Apache MySQL PHP. These are the basic items needed for creating your own server on your computer. If you upload the files to your host you should be able to see the correct effects of the php.
Galandros

Posted: 25 Feb 2009 07:19:32 pm    Post subject:

This is not going so good...

In holidays I was more worried for math programs so no progress at all.
I don't feel the same determination to write the topics right now but it should be enough. And maybe I suck at web design.
Anyway I will rethink in better colours choices and simplify things in the site to make my life easier.

Doesn't sound great news, but maybe this week things go better for my website.
Galandros

Posted: 04 Mar 2009 05:15:24 pm    Post subject:

I managed to get the colour backgrounds set I intended. And doesn't look too bad for me... (maybe needs a bit of polishing) Now I need to put letters to gray to be readable and other styles to text. See how well images will enter... Many style handling.

I am happy enough about the colours to post this little advance. :biggrin:
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Mar 2009 06:09:15 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like you are having a good time learning a new computer skill. Do you have a link to a live version of your current progress?
Galandros

Posted: 10 Mar 2009 01:24:36 pm    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
It sounds like you are having a good time learning a new computer skill. Do you have a link to a live version of your current progress?
Not yet. I have few time to be in the computer right now. And I should get FireFTP configured again to that purpose...
Galandros

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 01:45:51 pm    Post subject:

Still haven't put it online to show... I played a little more with styles but need more time with that. There are things that need to be polished. (hey I am perfectionist)

But I started to make Javascript. Like the normal date display, count the time people stay in the website...
And I will make some nifty things things like collapsing menus. :)

When I finish I would like to share somewhere some things I made in Excel to help to develop the web site and others I will do in Javascript, all to handle text...

And I had some ideas to make a strategy or RPG game in TI-BASIC with a twist...
I hope that before retiring my TI-84 SE I make some nice things. ^^

I have kind of a to do list:
my math pack
2 games in ASM and other in TI-BASIC to start Razz
share in wikiTI some asm routines laying around and if can in "Notable programs", "TI websites" and programming groups.
And some others that I don't remember now...
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 04:49:19 pm    Post subject:

If you are working with javascript may I recommend looking into the jquery library. It makes manipulating the DOM a snap and has a really nice UI as well.
Galandros

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 04:05:47 am    Post subject:

I decided to put online the template as I have it and write some topics very soon. (today or tomorrow)
Later I will be adding more content and do more css polishing.

This because I have FireFTP working, have already taken care of the host and if I don't do it soon I may never get it online. (my old account was deleted I think)

I will include JavaScript things later (they won't be required except to some tools I may share though)
Galandros

Posted: 06 Apr 2009 04:52:14 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
I decided to put online the template as I have it and write some topics very soon. (today or tomorrow)
Later I will be adding more content and do more css polishing.

This because I have FireFTP working, have already taken care of the host and if I don't do it soon I may never get it online. (my old account was deleted I think)

I will include JavaScript things later (they won't be required except to some tools I may share though)

gahhrrr

My activities occupied more time than I expected. And worst is I distract very easily with surfing on the Internet... (discovered some old z80 wonders like microhertz)
Plus I had some days without access to Internet or Internet problems... If I wanted to upload in the last days, it would be condemned.

Anyway I did some little steps forward with the style sheet and the links (initially broken :S). The new Javascript skills will do some nice things ^^ Still I must account that Javascript can be disabled so it won't be needed at all.

Also restarted some old projects and not TI related! Extraordinary because they where stuck in hard drive untouched... If I only discovered the wonder of online tutorials/search 2 years ago... *try to not think in "wasted" time...*

Oh and when I get bored will I will write and code, ok? ^~
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement