This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Feb 2009 11:12:29 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much what I'm asking is if the below features for the 89 exist for the 83 Plus

Information attained from Wikipedia:

User features

The major advantage of the TI-89 over lower-model TI calculators is its built-in computer algebra system, or CAS. The calculator can evaluate and simplify algebraic expressions symbolically. For example, entering (x^3-x^2-8x+12)/(x+3) returns x2 − 4x + 4. The answer is pretty printed by default; that is, it is displayed as it would be written on paper, as opposed to x^2-4x+4 returned by calculators which are incapable of displaying superscripts or subscripts. The TI-89's abilities include:

* Algebraic factoring of expressions, including partial fraction decomposition.
* Algebraic simplification; for example, the CAS can combine multiple terms into one fraction by finding a common denominator.
* Evaluation of trigonometric expressions to exact values. For example, sin(60°) returns \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} instead of 0.86602.
* Solving equations for a certain variable. The CAS can solve for one variable in terms of others; it can also solve systems of equations. For equations such as quadratics where there are multiple solutions, it returns all of them. Equations with infinitely many solutions are solved by introducing arbitrary constants: solve(tan(x+2)=0,x) returns x=@n1π-2, with the @n1 representing any integer.
* Finding limits of functions, including infinite limits and limits from one direction.
* Symbolic differentiation and integration. Derivatives and definite integrals are evaluated exactly when possible, and approximately otherwise.

In addition to the standard two-dimensional function plots, it can also produce graphs of parametric equations, polar equations, sequence plots, differential equation fields, and three-dimensional (two variable) functions.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Feb 2009 11:14:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ticalcnoah

Posted: 06 Feb 2009 10:44:48 am    Post subject:

Symbolic is about as close as you get http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/228/22851.html
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2009 12:44:47 pm    Post subject:

More complex symbolic math functions are certainly possible, though they would probably be rather slow, consume a lot of memory, or both.

I'd guess the main obstacle is no one wanting to code the algorithms in assembly. Symbolic integration, to take the obvious example, is a lot hairier than symbolic differentiation, and as a result, would be considerably more difficult to write and debug. (Anyone who's taken first-year calculus ought to be able to write out the complete algorithm for Symbolic's d( function, even if they wouldn't necessarily know how to translate it into assembly.)
Galandros

Posted: 06 Feb 2009 03:42:26 pm    Post subject:

Search ZoomAlgebra. Get the demo and experiment in your calculator ~~

Download PrettyPrint, Poly Root Finder and simultaneous equation solver (from TI, bah something half well done).
See some of this basic programs: http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=8444 (happen to be mine and recently discovered/rethinked some optimizations for size) I think I will use necromancy in that post.

And wait for: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articl...144/144039.html

If anyone knows more than this, I would be very glad to see.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2009 03:53:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZagorNBK

Posted: 09 Feb 2009 06:39:08 am    Post subject:

I've recently found something similar, but its in french:

http://ti.bank.free.fr/index.php?mod=archi...voir&id=981

Its half assembly, half BASIC so it is a bit slow, but it works great!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement