This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 01:23:20 am    Post subject:

Today, I installed both Apache 1.3.19, and Php 4.0.4 under Windows 98 becasue I had it on a CD.

After messing around with it for hours, it seems to work okay.

Now, I would like to get MySQL working, butI have no idea how to do that.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 02:31:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, at least you don't have to mess with PHP/apache to get MysSQL working.
I have it installed on my computer, and it took a while before I could sort things out.
The first step is to download the zip package and extract it to a folder of your choice.

Then you just run mysqld.exe to start the server and mysqladmin -u root shutdown to shut it down. When first installed, you connect to the server with username 'root' and no password. You may want to set a password, but it's your choice.
Then it's also convenient to install PhpMyAdmin, www.phpmyadmin.net, that allows you to manage the whole server from your internet browser.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 02:49:24 am    Post subject:

Okay, let us say that it is working simply because it is installed.

How would I write a very simple PHP script to test a MySQL connection?

BTW, it is reccomended that I use mysqld-opt.

Also, do I need to create a database or anything? I currently have mysql and test as my two databases.

If I do have to create a database, how do I do that, and how do I add a PW?

Thanks.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 02:39:55 pm    Post subject:

The most basic PHP script to test mySQL connection would be

<?
mysql_connect('localhost','root') or exit("Couldn't connect to database". mysql_error());
echo "Connection established";
?>

Yes, you'd have to create your own database. The syntax to create a database is simply "CREATE DATABASE my_name".

I don't know the syntax to add users and privileges, but as I said in previous post, you can easily do that with PhpMyAdmin.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 03:30:55 pm    Post subject:

I have MySQL version 3.23.33-debug is that a good version?

As for PHP, I have 4.0.4 I think.

I tried running phpmyadmin, and I get erros from php.exe, but php does work for anything I create.

I think I need a newer version of PHP. What version do you use, David?
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:13:46 am    Post subject:

What kind of errors do you get when you try to run phpmyadmin?

Phpmyadmin should work well with all 4.X releases of php, and should work with v3.23 of mySQL.
I use php 4.3.1. Mostly because redelf.net is using the same version.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 03:28:36 am    Post subject:

What version of Apache and MySQL do you use?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 05:00:42 am    Post subject:

Well this is obvious on my end, but here goes:

Linux 2.4.x kernel
Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.45
PHP/4.3.1

FYI, the Extranet version is precompiled for more extreme performance boosts recommended for the Industrial webserver, which is very suitable in this cause.

I don't actively develop too much on my fileserver, even though I should more often, so I'm not gonna bother checking what its running.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement