This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
vic9317

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 10:30:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi, I have several external levels of Phoenix on my calculator, which is also cluttering up the PRGM list. Now, what I'd normally do is just hide them with MirageOS. Unfortunately, they don't appear in the MirageOS list. If I try to unprotect them to add the "::" line in order for MirageOS to see them, they no longer work in Phoenix.

Does anyone know of a way I can get them to show in my MirageOS without corruption? I could just hide them with another program, but I wouldn't know how to unhide them...

Any tips/suggestions/advice? I appreciate the help. Thanks!!
Bronco

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 10:46:40 pm    Post subject:

Heh, well for assembly games to show up in Mirage, they need a special header written in the source code, which MUST be done on the computer (for simplicitie's sake)
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 10:56:14 pm    Post subject:

There's no way to make them show up in MOS without corrupting them. As for hiding them with another program, it would probably corrupt them as well, since the game might not be able to find them. I'd advise against doing anything to hide the levels, and just manage as best as you can with the clutter.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 08:07:17 am    Post subject:

Also, when Pheonix goes to look for the external levels, I'm pretty sure it looks for a specific name pattern and when you hide it, by changing the first letter to ∩ or something like that, that would change the name and make it impossible to find.

But, it's a nice thought.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 02:25:50 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
Also, when Pheonix goes to look for the external levels, I'm pretty sure it looks for a specific name pattern and when you hide it, by changing the first letter to ∩ or something like that, that would change the name and make it impossible to find. 

But, it's a nice thought.
[post="128987"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I dunno, most Ion/Mirage programs use the Ion routine for finding external levels, which searches for a certain string of bytes at the beginning of the program. In that routine, the actual name of the program is ignored. I believe it has to be edit-locked, though.
Bronco

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 04:22:43 pm    Post subject:

Does Phoenix use that particular Ion routine?

And I don't advice unlocking assembly programs on the calculator. That's just asking for a calc crash Smile
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 12:23:06 pm    Post subject:

If you want to hide the files, you can do so using Calcsys. To do this, go into the VAT view and select the program you want to hide. Press Alpha+V to view the VAT entry in the hex editor. Press Up twice, then Right once. The letter at the top left corner should now be the first letter of the program's name. Press Enter to change it; set it to something greater than 5Bh (e.g. add 20h to change it to lowercase.)

After doing this, the program will appear only in the Mem Mgmt view, and not in the programs list. If it's archived, you should unarchive and rearchive (otherwise the program will be restored to its original name when the calculator is reset.)
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 01:00:27 pm    Post subject:

Yes, but I'm not sure if the game will find the level with this invalid name...
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 09:23:58 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
If you want to hide the files, you can do so using Calcsys.  To do this, go into the VAT view and select the program you want to hide.  Press Alpha+V to view the VAT entry in the hex editor.  Press Up twice, then Right once.  The letter at the top left corner should now be the first letter of the program's name.  Press Enter to change it; set it to something greater than 5Bh (e.g. add 20h to change it to lowercase.)

After doing this, the program will appear only in the Mem Mgmt view, and not in the programs list.  If it's archived, you should unarchive and rearchive (otherwise the program will be restored to its original name when the calculator is reset.)
[post="129093"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Though programs with a lowercase b as the first letter will not show up in the mem menu, I found that out the hard way thanks to x-link. i think there are a few other letters that won't show up any where either but b is the only one I know for sure.
ticalcnoah

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 09:26:06 pm    Post subject:

If memory serves me right r is another of them.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 10:16:37 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah. I had heard that before and forgot about it. 'r', I guess, gets confused with Ans, but I have no idea why 'b' would do that.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 10:24:21 pm    Post subject:

No clue, but it confused the shit out of my when I sent bubble bobble from my 86 to my 84 using x-link and it didn't show up in the mem menu.
Bronco

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 07:12:23 am    Post subject:

Lol, that would freak me out. I thought the letter r was capable of it too. I would check to verify this, but I'm about to leave for school.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 07:29:07 am    Post subject:

You know, you guys sound rather surprised that programs starting with certain lowercase letters don't show up in the memory menu. Keep in mind, this isn't a feature of TI-OS to hide programs. It's not even an undocumented feature. It's just a bug that we chose to make use of, by forcing some programs to have lowercase names.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement