This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 12:34:41 pm    Post subject:

lol, you got pwned by random chances. Probability of that happening... 1 in 73569. I guess that it can happen more often than winning the lottery.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 01:55:19 pm    Post subject:

I think I figured out why this seems to be harder than the original. In the original, since the experience wasn't added to your score until you hit the ground you could get more than you needed. This 'surplus' of exp would give you a sort of safety net for the next level.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 03:19:56 pm    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
I have a question regarding highscores.  If I allocate storage at the end of the program like I would for a sprite, and I store data there, will the OS copy the program back into memory after execution so that the data can be retrieved at a later running of the program?

Bronco:
With the new formula in place, you can consistently beat the first level.  It starts to get insane again around the 4th or 5th wave.
[post="129538"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you need to copy the data yourself

btw, it might be smarter to have the date in the beginning of the program, this way, your user might be able to save their highscore if thet update to a new program (asuming you make a function for that.. lawl)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 03:57:52 pm    Post subject:

Sweet, I found how to do that in 28-days. Maybe I should have actually read more than the first few days of those tutorials before I started programming. I learned assembly for the MIPS machine and figured that it would be quite similar, and it is (lacking mul, div, rem, and easy to use branching instructios), but there are some quirks like SMC that are slightly different.

I just PM'd DarkerLine with the update. Look for it in the archives soon. I fixed the bug with purchasing enemies and made insane slightly easier, you still will have a hard time beating the first level, but hey, it's insane. I have beaten normal, so it is possible, if you can beat insane, I will be surprised, although it is theoretically possible.

I still don't know how to make it place you back at the homescreen, and I can't get any programs to compile for ion right now. Apparently SPASM finds errors in the ion.inc file and I downloaded ion.inc from the ion website.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 04:05:05 pm    Post subject:

you need to output someting on the homescreen, probaly the stuff at (textshadow)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2008 07:01:02 pm    Post subject:

I'll try recreating the Game Over thing later today. But yeah, when it happened, "Game Over" string was up just long enough to visualize and then I was back looking an empty X/Y plot. Direct Input (which I'm guessing is the current input tool) tends to oversample like this. Maybe just 1 second of HALTs will be enough to nip it. I'm also wondering if it was partly to do with being on an emulator.

[edit]
Here's the target. At 21:15hrs Zulu, the bogey was sighted about 10 clicks North-Northwest of a night training exercise. Our sources believe it may only occur when the gamer is holding down directional commands as time expires, however CIA says the Chinese or possibly Russians did it. Following the incident, my cursor was seen mimicking the last known heading of our armored vehicle. That is all.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Nov 2008 10:50:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Nov 2008 02:39:01 am    Post subject:

Yup, that issue has been addressed in my updated release. I only had about a half-second of halts, I actually updated it so that you have to press clear to exit the game over screen. And it displays a cool high-score table featuring the furthest level you have reached on each difficulty, and the extra fuel you had.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Nov 2008 11:47:21 pm    Post subject:

Phase 2 of IndestructoTank is being implemented. This is to convert the game to ion. I have only done nostub before, but ion can't be too different. I have run into a few snags and solved a few problems. One added bonus is the ability to use fast copy.
[attachment=2540:attachment]
Ok, maybe that isn't an advantage. I will either switch back to using bcall(_grbufcpy) or implement some delay system. It is not very conducive to gameplay to have it operating at 60 fps.

One major issue that I have is that the program crashes upon leaving the shell. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the my SMC. I'm not sure what ion or mirage does when it pulls the program from flash memory, and when I use the bcalls to write to the original storage location, I am probably ruining something. Besides that, I don't see what could possibly be occurring.

Benefits of using ion. Ability to have program archived. Some people are not familiar with how to execute nostub programs. I can remove my putsprite and random routines and call ions routines (I was using ion's code anyways). I don't have to worry about it placing you back at the graph screen.

If anyone has any ideas for what is causing the crash, I would be elated.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 12:35:37 am    Post subject:

Whoa this looks awesome! I cant believe you pumped it out so rapidly so far! Sensational bananaman! Very Happy.

As far as the crashes are concerned, have you checked your stack usage? Are you using IY at all? Possibly overwriting memory you shouldnt?

Last edited by Guest on 28 Nov 2008 12:44:04 am; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 02:20:35 am    Post subject:

That's looking really nice! Are you going to have the ground scroll so it looks like you're moving?

Good luck with fixing the crash. Smile
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 02:39:59 am    Post subject:

woa, wait a second

you used _GRbufCpy in the game?

also, we want highscores... and title screens
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 10:46:28 am    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
Yup, that issue has been addressed in my updated release.  I only had about a half-second of halts, I actually updated it so that you have to press clear to exit the game over screen.  And it displays a cool high-score table featuring the furthest level you have reached on each difficulty, and the extra fuel you had.
[post="129568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

here you go
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Nov 2008 11:07:54 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
woa, wait a second

you used _GRbufCpy in the game?

also, we want highscores... and title screens
[post="129608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I was using _grbufcpy and was still pulling 29 fps. Now that I am using ionfastcopy I need to know how to do something.

I want to slow it down to a more manageable speed, right now it blurs way too much and you can't keep track of what is happening. I want to make it run at about 35 fps on both the SE and the 83+. How would I go about adding a delay that makes it run the same speed on all calc models. Also, I want it to run the same speed regardless of how many enemies are on the screen. On the nostub version it would run at 29 fps with no enemies and about 25 fps with like 10 enemies on the screen and all their bullets and explosions. I have never used interrupts before, is this what I want to use, or do I want to put in a delay if it looks at the array location and doesn't find an enemy present.

About the title screen. I have some ideas, but I was thinking it would be great if someother people could try their pixel skills for me. I need some method of expressing, New Game (wimp, beginner, normal, insane) Instructions, High Scores, and Quit (optional). Then of course I want the name of the game and a spot for my name. If you can think of a good way to express this information, I can probably write the code. Cool images of tanks or helicopters dropping bombs would be sweet. But I do want to keep this in monochrome b/w. It is not worth it to add in a grayscale library simply for a title screen.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 12:10:38 am    Post subject:

RW2 uses an self-adjustable frame skip. The more objects there are on-screen, the more times the main loop will iterate without actually printing graphics. As a result, having a ton of objects makes it slightly "choppier," but the real-time pace of the game remains fixed

Alternatively, you can devote an adjustable amount of time to an "idle" process made of only HALTs or NOPs. Then, more objects equals less idling.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Nov 2008 12:12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 03:16:24 pm    Post subject:

Here is the first ion release. I believe that it is finally stable. But make sure to back up your stuff anyways. I want other people to test it out to make sure that it is working properly.

It is now blazing fast, and I think that this makes the game more difficult. I may have to adjust the difficulty levels yet again to make the game a little more fair. I could slow down the game a little bit if you guys think it is too fast. The objects are starting to blur, but I think that it is still understandable what is going on.

I still am looking for good ideas for the homescreen.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Nov 2008 08:14:17 pm    Post subject:

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I uploaded my file to ti-calc a few days ago and thought that it would be fine to let it sit in the queue for a week while I finished up the Ion port. Big mistake. The new file archiver apparently went through 180 files and archived my outdated version at the same exact time as I just submitted the Ion version. I hope that he goes updates my program before too many people download the outdated file.

If you are looking for the "final" release, I just PM'd DarkerLine with the update, so it should appear in UTI's archives soon.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 01 Dec 2008 09:13:27 am    Post subject:

Awesome work, BM. It's crazy fun.

Have you considered adding an option for the "Boom Bar" present in Indestruc2Tank? (Not a typo. The sequel.)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Dec 2008 01:27:41 pm    Post subject:

It is currently in it's finished state.

Some time in the future I may make a version 2 which has the boom bar, fuel packs that drop from the sky, a vertically scrolling screen, or other updates that might be cool. But for now, I am content to say that I did a decent job of replicating IndestructoTank. The biggest difference right now is that it adds your experience in mid-air instead of waiting until you hit the ground.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 02 Dec 2008 09:03:25 am    Post subject:

Personally, I like the change. Good on yeh.
Galandros

Posted: 03 Dec 2008 10:07:30 am    Post subject:

I think you should preserve the "old" version and release it together with that crazy version 2.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 10 of 10 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement