This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
SonicBoom95

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 09:50:27 am    Post subject:

To any talented ASM programmers out there looking for a project, I have one for you. Indestructotank. After playing, get back to me and see if you like the game, and are liking the idea of an 83+ port.
Galandros

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 11:09:00 am    Post subject:

Simple, fun game!

And ironically you buy enemies and not parts XD

For me the hard implementing would be all those missiles (work making the AI) and hit detection and movement caused by the hit that I have no idea to implement that...

If I had more experience maybe I would port.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2008 11:09:57 am; edited 1 time in total
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 06:16:27 pm    Post subject:

I think the physics is probably the hardest to implement with the limited math capabilities in asm.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 07:06:50 pm    Post subject:

Ah, there's barely any math to it if you do it right. With some really small sprites, there's no question it can be a sure-fire hit. Plus, the TI community will tank you for it.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 07:15:15 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Ah, there's barely any math to it if you do it right.  With some really small sprites, there's no question it can be a sure-fire hit.  Plus, the TI community will tank you for it.
[post="128672"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

NOOOOOOOOOH!!!!
It Buuuuurns!!!!!
Pseudoprogrammer

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 07:06:25 am    Post subject:

It would be an even more challenging project for home screen BASIC! -plots-
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 09:17:48 am    Post subject:

That game is pretty amazing. If my life wasn't so busy right now, I would try to program this.

On a different note. Can anyone beat a 144 combo?
Galandros

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 02:07:39 pm    Post subject:

The physics engine in the game seem not realistic or complex.
But I would have some hard work doing calculating collision force and to where the tank is projected...

So far I have some ideas to implement the engine... But I need more experience before going in such project. My classes of Physics and Math are useful for this kind of game XD (horizontal launches and vectors)
EDIT: maybe I had to do some research of my own to know some things in physics and math... Or wait 1 year because I will learn that next year. I only know horizontal launches with restrictions

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2008 02:09:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 05:49:12 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
The physics engine in the game seem not realistic or complex.
But I would have some hard work doing calculating collision force and to where the tank is projected...
[post="128705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are right about the physics not being quite right. The most obvious one is that you don't have the same downward acceleration as the bombs, but when calculating trajectories you just have to use a different constant for the player and the bombs. Plus, I don't see any major flaws where the basic mechanics equations can't be tweaked to match the game. You could probably find most of what you need in Wikipedia's list of classical mechanics equations.

Quote:
EDIT: maybe I had to do some research of my own to know some things in physics and math... Or wait 1 year because I will learn that next year. I only know horizontal launches with restrictions

I'd say do some research on your own. You'll never learn better than when you're self motivated :biggrin: If you really enjoy mathematics and physics jump right in and research anything that sounds interesting. The only thing that could go wrong is being a college freshman stuck in the advanced optics and differential geometry courses...
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 06:46:05 pm    Post subject:

You can simplify the physics by quite a bit when making this game. What you do is have a number representing your x velocity and another for your y velocity. During each frame you decrement your y velocity by an amount to pretend to be gravity. Whenever you hit a bomb or a plane you increase the y velocity by a specified amount depending upon whether you hit the top of the object or the bottom. You do the same thing for your x velocity except there is no gravity. You adjust it depending on the arrow keys and what side of the planes your tank struck.

This way you don't have to worry about all the equations. It would slow your game down to try to incorporate completely accurate physics. I believe that the bombs just fall at a constant rate which is why you can catch up to them. You probably want to do a few different physics frames before you update the display.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 14 Nov 2008 09:41:19 pm    Post subject:

that can be used in any program if you dont care about realistic physics
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 08:22:18 am    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
You can simplify the physics by quite a bit when making this game.  What you do is have a number representing your x velocity and another for your y velocity.  During each frame you decrement your y velocity by an amount to pretend to be gravity.  Whenever you hit a bomb or a plane you increase the y velocity by a specified amount depending upon whether you hit the top of the object or the bottom.  You do the same thing for your x velocity except there is no gravity.  You adjust it depending on the arrow keys and what side of the planes your tank struck.

This way you don't have to worry about all the equations.  It would slow your game down to try to incorporate completely accurate physics.  I believe that the bombs just fall at a constant rate which is why you can catch up to them.  You probably want to do a few different physics frames before you update the display.
[post="128715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I thought that. But what about hitting in the sides? But simplifying only 6 kinds of hits:
bottom right, left and center
top right, left and center
Also the variables will be signed to know which direction.
Complicating this because I think that in the game when you hit somewhat on the side and top, the tank tends to go in the direction.

The problem is that I haven't make a game with simple hit detection (I'm planing making one but I would see better how while coding it)

That can be in my wait list. xD
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 09:55:39 am    Post subject:

also in the game the tank sometimes goes out the top of the screen
Galandros

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 11:23:08 am    Post subject:

GloryMXE7 wrote:
also in the game the tank sometimes goes out the top of the screen
[post="128799"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is piece of cake. Just keep adding to the y position and make sure the sprite is put in the top of the screen and change in x if the player uses the keys. The v in y will decrease and reach the point that will make y start to be on screen.

Also we may mention the effects of all the objects. Some missiles and things react in odd ways. And start documenting the game.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 12:07:55 pm    Post subject:

yes one missile bounces thre times another chases you until your vertical position is higher then the missiles but that souldnt be twoo hard i dont think
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 04:42:07 pm    Post subject:

Bouncer: drops it's bomb which will bounce off the ground once.
Gunner: fires three rockets that chase you except they can't move upwards.
Homer: shoots a rocket that follow you, but it's very weak unless it's coming up from below you.
Miner: the thing on the ground.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Nov 2008 05:05:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 05:48:43 pm    Post subject:

and doest the fuel decrece on impact more than normal i think
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 05:51:06 pm    Post subject:

GloryMXE7 wrote:
and doest the fuel decrece on impact more than normal i think
[post="128842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

oof topic: learn english >_>

if you have noting to say, dont post

on topic: make fuell powerups! Very Happy
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 06:13:14 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
oof topic: learn english >_>

if you have noting to say, dont post

on topic: make fuell powerups! Very Happy
[post="128843"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's kind of harsh. You're not doing much better.
I think you meant "Off topic", and "nothing", and "don't", and "fuel". There's also the lack of capitalization and punctuation...

Plus, the post was on topic.
Galandros wrote:
...And start documenting the game.[post="128806"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think impacting anything affects the fuel consumption. I've been looking at the fuel meter on impact and don't notice any changes.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 06:23:43 pm    Post subject:

yeah i just played the game again and didnt notice anything either

anyway i think we have everything we can get from the original game
maybe we should take a look at the sequals for anything else
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 10 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement