This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Nov 2008 06:06:45 pm    Post subject:

Discussion has been moved to the Falcon thread. Please discontinue discussion here.

I have an idea for a completely new type of RPG (that is, if you haven't played some very obscure RPGs...).

The combat will be somewhat real-time. Everyone will have a delay bar that goes down over time, and when it empties completely, it is that player's turn. If more people have it empty when the first guy is still deciding his action, they are put on a queue. Also, if you don't play fast enough, you lose your turn.

As for the actual fighting, it will be kind of like D&D. You will be able to fight conventionally or cast spells. Magic will be very powerful but also very expensive. Each character will have willpower points, or WP, which is the character's energy level, in addition to HP. WP falls when the character is hit with non-lethal attacks (punches), doesn't eat enough, casts spells, etc.

You will choose which attack to use by first picking a target with the Y= - Graph Buttons and then pressing a number from 1-9. The numbers would be assigned attacks before battle, and they could be changed during battle at the cost of your turn. You could also do nothing by pressing 0, giving you a very short delay bar for your next turn. Also, using attacks that would be faster realistically would give you a shorter delay bar than using a gilded two-handed sword.

I want the actual world to be walkable with good graphics and not use any libs (except Resource). I could accomplish this by using text sprites.

The level-up system will also not be conventional. You will get experience points for fighting, or using your noncombat skills. The points can then be applied to your stat points or skills. Skills include ability to use certain weapons, spells, or noncombat abilities such as cooking. The average of your skills and stats would determine your total level, which would be from 0 to 10, or theoretically a little higher.

I still haven't decided on the party system. I'm not sure if you should just go alone, bring a party of NPCs that you have to pay, or bring a party of characters under your full control. I would like to eventually put in a co-op system.

What do you guys think a good name for this would be?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Mar 2009 10:39:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 02 Nov 2008 06:22:28 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a great game :biggrin:
I think you would probably need at least a rough idea of the setting/story for a name though.
Bronco

Posted: 02 Nov 2008 08:39:57 pm    Post subject:

Agreed. Unless you have just some generic name you can temporarily slap on there for a project title.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 07:48:59 pm    Post subject:

What are your thoughts on the party system though? Just you, optional NPCs, or a fully-controlled party?
Bronco

Posted: 03 Nov 2008 07:59:08 pm    Post subject:

Ultimately, it's what you the developer wants. I would do either solo or fully party, but again, it's what you want. It all depends on what you want to do with the game.
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 04 Nov 2008 05:24:39 pm    Post subject:

realtimecombatRPGw/delaybarproject
just a suggestion
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 07:54:46 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've resumed work on this project. I haven't written any real code yet, except for my text map utility. I have decided that the six stats will be strength, stamina, agility, comprehension, awareness, and intelligence. I have also decided on at least 12 skills and 10 spells.
Galandros

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 12:21:09 pm    Post subject:

thebetter1 wrote:
I have an idea for a completely new type of RPG (that is, if you haven't played some very obscure RPGs...). 

The combat will be somewhat real-time.  Everyone will have a delay bar that goes down over time, and when it empties completely, it is that player's turn.  If more people have it empty when the first guy is still deciding his action, they are put on a queue.  Also, if you don't play fast enough, you lose your turn.
1st it not so a obscure game.
2nd in that game the only difference is the bar is filling and when is filled you can play. (if you hit a button or click) and you have 3 levels of filling. The highest level of filling, the more powerful things you can do. (like spells and abilities)
Maybe you can even implement this.

Also the speed of the filling/empting bar depends on some kind of attribute.
Also in that game, you had up to 3 characters.

But still a good idea! Go ahead.

Offtopic: And that game was fun for me. One of my first RPG, maybe the first on my computer. ^^ Name: Septerra Core.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jan 2009 09:47:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm referring to Baten Kaitos Origins, by the way.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 11:38:35 pm    Post subject:

Progress:
-completed as much of the boot code as possible at this point. It will check which programs are installed and stop immediately if certain ones are missing
-working on character builder, mainly the user-friendly name entry

I want to call this game Falcon. Is there anything else that's already called that?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 09:12:11 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a cross between Gunbound and Eternal Sonata.

As to the name, Falcon is cool, but sounds a little generic to me. Just my 2ยข. I too would advise waiting until you actually have a story planned.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 06:12:55 pm    Post subject:

I meant I would call it Falcon as a temporary name and come up with a real name later.

One of the biggest problems I'm having so far is that it takes over a minute to draw one screen on the 83+. I've been considering scrapping the For loop in the routine and actually writing out all the Text commands. This would make that one routine much larger, but it might make the program significantly faster. What do you guys think?
Galandros

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 09:44:17 am    Post subject:

thebetter1 wrote:
I meant I would call it Falcon as a temporary name and come up with a real name later.

One of the biggest problems I'm having so far is that it takes over a minute to draw one screen on the 83+. I've been considering scrapping the For loop in the routine and actually writing out all the Text commands. This would make that one routine much larger, but it might make the program significantly faster. What do you guys think?
Is there any other way to optimize? Like a balanced one with space and speed... I am not seeing how the text can be so slow...
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 10:14:16 pm    Post subject:

Guess what? It worked! The program can now draw a text sprite screen in 17 seconds by using less than 2kb of code. Remember, this is on a regular 83+. It would have taken almost 14kb, but I used one for loop with a larger scope.

Now, I am working on a utility that is not directly connected to the game but will help me to make tile maps. It will allow the user to draw 6x6 text sprites and put them into a tile bank, then place those pre-drawn tiles onto the screen to form a tile map.

My friend is currently helping me with the storyline. Somehow, it seems like everything he writes came straight out of Tales of Symphonia...
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Feb 2009 11:42:21 pm    Post subject:

The utility is done. You guys should try it.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Feb 2009 07:51:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 07:17:25 am    Post subject:

i get a syntax error because Lmap01 does not exist?

also..

if g=>2 and g=<3 or g=>6 and b=<7..

can be

max(g={2,6,10,14,18...} and g={3,7,11,15,19...

and..
if a=24 or a=25 or a=26 or a=34

can be..

if a=35 or 2<abs(a-25

possibly more
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 07:50:32 pm    Post subject:

I just realized that I forgot to delete one line of code that references the obsolete list MAP01. The original file has been updated. I also know that the program isn't fully optimized; I may work more on that in the future.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement