This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Aryna

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 03:12:04 pm    Post subject:

The system files on my mom's laptop needed to be updated, but she wasn't confident in my ability to back-up the system files, so she wouldn't let me, and now the only way you can use it is if you start it up in safemode, which is annoying. So..., what should I do? Without my mom having to pay for a computer tech guy to fix it.
benryves

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 06:26:37 pm    Post subject:

Run System Restore? That's what it's there for, after all. Smile
Aryna

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 06:37:32 pm    Post subject:

thanks, i'll just do that without asking my mom, or else she'll, wait, i think i'v tried that, and i think it didn't work.
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 07:42:06 pm    Post subject:

did you run chkdsk?
Aryna

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 08:34:44 am    Post subject:

No, not yet, my mom won't let me do anything to it, so I have to wait until she won't catch me so she can't yell at me.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 08:43:42 am    Post subject:

Well, sounds like you know what to do, so we don't really have a job to do. Your problem sounds like something I came across years ago: "hai guise my mom wont let me use the computer but its broke so i need to fix it but she wont let me halp pls kthxbai!@!!"
Aryna

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 10:17:06 am    Post subject:

But see, that's the problem, I know what to do, but, I actually don't know how to actually do it, if that makes any sense at all, plus, my mom keeps hovering over my shoulder whenever I'm trying to fix it, so I can only look to see if I could actually do anything.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 03:15:22 pm    Post subject:

Aryna wrote:
But see, that's the problem, I know what to do, but, I actually don't know how to actually do it, if that makes any sense at all, plus, my mom keeps hovering over my shoulder whenever I'm trying to fix it, so I can only look to see if I could actually do anything.
[post="127704"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense. If you know what to do, but don't know what to do, you may be breaking the universe.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 03:23:48 pm    Post subject:

Haha. Just don't run a google search on "google," and we should all be fine.

Why don't you tell us what error messages you receive, and what the current status of the computer is? Then we can do our best to help you out.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 07:29:33 am    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Haha.  Just don't run a google search on "google," and we should all be fine.

Why don't you tell us what error messages you receive, and what the current status of the computer is?  Then we can do our best to help you out.
[post="127712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

<offtopic>I just did. Everything seems to be okay.</offtopic>
JoostinOnline

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 09:55:57 am    Post subject:

Aryna wrote:
No, not yet, my mom won't let me do anything to it, so I have to wait until she won't catch me so she can't yell at me.
[post="127677"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you have Norton Antivirus? If you do, that may be why you can't do a system restore. Also, something that I don't think was asked is what version of Windows you have. If you ran S.R. then you obviously have ME or newer, but that still leaves several options.

Also, if your mother is reluctant to let you work on the computer, don't be upset. Troubleshooting can sometimes go wrong, but many of the people on UTI know a lot about computers, including me (I'm not trying to brag, only reassuring). I have spent the last two summers in working for SGU's IT department, and am now a freshman majoring in computers. Let your read this topic so she can decide whether or not she feels comfortable letting you follow our directions. I hope she says yes, because we do enjoy helping people, and I would hate for you to pay a lot of money for another tech guy. Either way, it is her decision, so she can choose either way.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 11:46:26 am    Post subject:

...didn't he say that his mom was the one telling him not to System Restore?

I use masculine pronouns for clarity.
Aryna

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 03:34:52 pm    Post subject:

He? He? Excuse me (that was said in a very sarcastic rude way), but the HE you are referring to, is not a HE, but a SHE. And, I did a syschk last night, and, it nothing showed up, and I don't have Norton Antivirus, yet system restore won't work..., so..., I have no idea what to do now, and, I don't want my mom to have to pay somebody to fix it when I might be able to.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 04:11:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry, but could you please provide a bit more information? Specifically, are there any error messages that show up? What exactly happens when you try to boot into Windows normally?
TylerMcL

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 11:30:42 pm    Post subject:

A few things you might want to clearly state before we continue any further:

1. What version of the windows environment are you running?

2. What exactly is it saying when you try to boot into windows without any special start-up specifications?

3. At what point did it stop working? What happened to possibly stop allowing windows to operate correctly?

4. Do you still have the OS installation disk that probably came with your mother's computer?

So I can't really make any suggestions for any solutions at this point. Not to be a smart-alec, but I'm very experienced with the windows OS installation and repairs, for I have spent most of my time using windows, trying to re-install it, or re-configure it correctly Razz.

What I can say is the following few statements:

1. If your mother is having problems with you trying to get it to work again, just tell her that it can't get any more worse at this point. Anything that you try to do at this point in the restoration will only open the possibility of the OS's partial or full recovery.

2. Depending on what OS version you are using, I might be able to provide a link for a vista OS recovery/repair disk, specially designed for situations like this. I have a copy right in front of me, so I might just be able to use a FTP to transfer it directly to you -- if need be. I don't exactly remember how I ever came across it Razz.

ALSO -- if your mom is worried about the data on her computer, I suggest the following:

Download and burn a copy of the Linux Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron installation CD. This amazing operating system is completely free, with the exception of the requirement of having to own a blank CD and a burner. This CD has the option to boot directly from the disk and run at near full capacity with absolutely no changes to your system. This will give you access to your windows partition, regardless of Windows state. You could then back-up your data that way, and either put it on CD's or on an external hard drive.

I hope this here helps somewhat. If you need any direct assistance, feel free to email me at Tyler.McLaughlan@Yahoo.com or IM me at MoneyBagsTyler. Please don't ask about the AIM screenname -- I've had it since I was in 4th grade or so. Very Happy
Aryna

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 05:34:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, there aren't any error messages, and when I start it up normally, nothing happens, and, the version of windows is Windows XP professional, we don't have the cd, and, I don't remember when it stopped working, i think two to three weeks ago.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 06:16:10 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean nothing happens? What screen does it stall/stop at? Unless the monitor ceases to exist, something happens Razz
JoostinOnline

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 06:36:15 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Unless the monitor ceases to exist, something happens Razz
[post="127898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ugh, I hate when that happens! Monitors don't come cheap!
TylerMcL

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 10:26:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, not to be a snot or anything, but you gotta be more specific than that Razz

Regardless, my option to at least back-up your data without having to install another operating system, still exists.

Here's the link for the latest stable ubuntu release:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Since it sounds like an older computer, I'd assume it is a 32 bit processor.

And for your XP problem, you should be able to use this package to boot into your XP OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyo...displayLang=en#

And something must come up when you try to boot. Either you just blew your monitor, or your graphics card, something should show. If even the BIOS load screen isn't appearing, either your motherboard is fried, along with the whole computer, or the above possibility. If it's not a hardware issue, that file, once burned onto a CD should do the job. Smile
Aryna

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 03:43:04 pm    Post subject:

Okay, what I mean by nothing comes up when I boot it up is, it'll try to boot normally, but, nothing happens, it just stays trying to boot up. So, I guess, what I meant by nothing comes up, no error messages come up.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement