This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
SonicBoom95

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 11:49:30 am    Post subject:

Does the output that Sourcecoder gives for ASM programs actually work? That is to say, can you use it to type in ASM programs on the calculator?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2008 12:14:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 12:17:01 pm    Post subject:

To a very limited extent. If the output happens by chance to be entirely made of tokens you could actually type in on a calculator (and if you had the compiled AsmPrgm token lying around) then you could do it. It would be a very silly thing to do (an order of magnitude harder than writing in the hex codes and using AsmComp(, for instance) but possible.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 01:08:57 pm    Post subject:

Compiled AsmPrgm token? Entirely made of tokens? Explain, please. I've poked around and don't understand.

Also, is there any more convenient way I can get ASM without a link cable? (Have a link cable, speaking hypothetically.)

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2008 01:09:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 01:46:18 pm    Post subject:

No program would be made entirely of typable tokens.

If you open a squished assembly program in the program editor (which you normally can't do, because they're protected), the editor will take each byte from the program and try to interpret it as a token. (BASIC programs are made up of tokens...everything you enter anywhere is made up of tokens.) Since that's garbage, you end up seeing garbage and potentially the screen will endlessly scroll garbage. This is a bad thing. He was suggesting you could type that garbage in, but that assumes that the garbage can be accessed by using OS menus, and the chances of that are basically zero.

The only way to have assembly on your calculator without a link cable is to manually type in the bytes of the program as ASCII hex characters, and then optionally "compiling" it with AsmComp(. That's the purpose of that command.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 03:04:22 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
The only way to have assembly on your calculator without a link cable is to manually type in the bytes of the program as ASCII hex characters, and then optionally "compiling" it with AsmComp(. That's the purpose of that command.
[post="127639"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Compiling it is optional? I thought it was required if you wanted to run the program.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 03:05:24 pm    Post subject:

No, compiling is optional.

Then, is there any way to get the ASCII hex characters for any ASM program?

EDIT: I am asking questions like a newb.

Final Question: Barring file transfer, is there any way to get ASM programs on a calculator?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2008 03:23:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 01:34:07 am    Post subject:

Sure, use a hex editor (like http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/ or any number of editors available for free online) and open the .8xp file. The first chunk you don't really care about. Look for BB 6D (the AsmPrgm token) and forget about everything before that. I can't really say how to determine where the end of a file is, in most cases it won't matter if you just type the rest of it in (it should only be a few extra bytes). To type in level files, look at the program's documentation to check out the header required for the main program to recognize the level, because these files don't need the AsmPrgm token.

You can also try a disassembler, such as the ones here: http://www.inkland.org.uk/dz80/
http://mobile.8m.com/z80disas.zip

This is all assuming, of course, that there is no source already available for the programs you want Razz
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 06:13:53 am    Post subject:

Type it all from BB 6D except the last two bytes, which are the checksum of the 8XP file.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 07:19:38 am    Post subject:

Oh, and don't include the BB 6D either. That's covered by the AsmPrgm command.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 07:35:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks, guys. This was a huge help. I'm going to get Grayscale Tunnel now. Razz
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 10:58:00 am    Post subject:

I thought you said you already have a link cable.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 11:32:10 am    Post subject:

he already seid zillions of times that he cant install ti-connect because he hasnt admin rights on all computers he has acces to...

WTB grammar nazi...
SonicBoom95

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 11:38:22 am    Post subject:

I didn't even mention that I can't get the drivers to work on my friend's Vista laptop (for the record, 32-bit).
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 12:58:14 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
he already seid zillions of times that he cant install ti-connect because he hasnt admin rights on all computers he has acces to...

WTB grammar nazi...
[post="127682"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What? I think that was a little uncalled for. I was just confused...I don't think I see anywhere in this thread where he said he can't install TI Connect.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2008 12:59:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicBoom95

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 03:04:17 pm    Post subject:

Okay, for the record, I said "No link cable" because I wanted to avoid the "OMGF U CAN GET TI CONNTECT FROM TEH BEWSITE KLOKLOKLOLLOKLOKLOLOLOL!!!!!!111!!@ononesix" that would happen had I said "I don't have TI Connect." I have a link cable, just no way of using it. This has been explained.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Oct 2008 03:04:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 07:25:31 pm    Post subject:

SonicBoom95 wrote:
Okay, for the record, I said "No link cable" because I wanted to avoid the "OMGF U CAN GET TI CONNTECT FROM TEH BEWSITE KLOKLOKLOLLOKLOKLOLOLOL!!!!!!111!!@ononesix" that would happen had I said "I don't have TI Connect." I have a link cable, just no way of using it. This has been explained.
[post="127690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, just so you know, (almost) no people act like that. Your assumption is a bit of an insult. We try to help. Of course, someone would have said that you can get TI-Connect from the website, but not in a mocking way, only to make sure you knew. If you really want help, then you need to learn to give accurate information instead making up stuff because you think it won't cause confusion. If you were new to the forum, I would be more understanding, but you have been here nearly a year, so you should have learned by now that people don't act like jerks when someone asks a (seemingly) simple question.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 02:13:51 am    Post subject:

I can understand how annoying it is to ask a simple question and then get an answer to a completely different question, so I would've said how to enter them anyway.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 07:46:40 am    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
SonicBoom95 wrote:
[post="127690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, just so you know, (almost) no people act like that. Your assumption is a bit of an insult. We try to help. Of course, someone would have said that you can get TI-Connect from the website, but not in a mocking way, only to make sure you knew. If you really want help, then you need to learn to give accurate information instead making up stuff because you think it won't cause confusion. If you were new to the forum, I would be more understanding, but you have been here nearly a year, so you should have learned by now that people don't act like jerks when someone asks a (seemingly) simple question.
[post="127693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, my apologies, but that is how people have reacted on nearly every other calc forum (barring a few of the misspellings and oneonesix's), but that's not the point. I was trying to avoid a conflict because I know I'm not mature enough to handle you telling me something I already know in a way that doesn't start a pointless flamewar (because it's happened before on other calc forums and I still haven't learned from it), but that's still not the point. I may have needed to be slightly more liberal in my smiley usage, because I was trying to be funny. I have almost never seen that kind of post on UTI. I realize that almost no one on UTI reacts like that, and UTI...we're an intelligent community the vast majority of the time.

See how I'm reacting now? You said "just so you know, (almost) no people act like that." And look how I'm reacting to someone telling me something I already knew--in a way that seems perfectly reasonable to me, but will no doubt be picked apart by those of you who are smarter than me.

And, my last wall of defense against the inevitable geniusly crafted response is literalism. I never said I didn't have a link cable, people just assumed it because I asked a question about how to get ASM programs without one. I realize this is a stupid argument, but against the reply post I know is coming, I need all the defense I can get.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 01:58:22 pm    Post subject:

*bump*

I don't see a BB 6D in an Ion program I'm trying to get the hex for. Is there a different token?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 03:13:10 pm    Post subject:

There really shouldn't be, unless it's BB 6C which is just a plain AsmPrgm. But I do remember encountering a chess program for Ion with a strange header...

Is there ANY token starting with BB near the beginning of the program?

Another possibility: in an Ion program, the two bytes after BB 6D should be C9 30 (which is ret followed by jr nc, ...). If you can find those, you can type the hex code in starting with those.

Well, there's also the no-lib Ion programs, which have xor a // jr nc, ... which corresponds to AF 30.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jul 2010 05:14:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement