This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 06:57:59 am    Post subject:

Hm.... My Calc's buttons seem to have some lag when I press them. Sometimes, (in Mirage OS for instance) they completely correspond with the wrong key (Stat and XT0n for instance). They were working well but then they don't anymore.

I think I left my calc run a simulation for 12 hours before this began so maybe this had something to do with it?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 10:36:30 am    Post subject:

Doubtful. Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

If you can get this to happen on a freshly-reset 83+ series calculator in the OS, it's hardware.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 11:27:37 am    Post subject:

I've had a problem with something like that with MirageOS before. A simple calculator reset (I had to do the On+Del trick) cleared that one up, but you've gotta make sure that there's nothing in RAM that you want to keep.

I haven't been able to reproduce that error ever since, so... just keep us all posted on what's happening.
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 01:04:38 pm    Post subject:

Mirage OS can be a shifty bastard sometimes. Once, the erase-line function stopped working. Line(47,31,94,62,0 wouldn't erase a line, it would just do the same thing as Line(47,31,94,62. Clearing the RAM fixed everything.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 07:45:04 am    Post subject:

And how did you come to the conclusion that MirageOS was to blame? Pardon me if I'm a tiny bit skeptical.

(For some reason a lot of people seem inclined to blame MirageOS for problems caused by buggy games and whatnot...)
SonicBoom95

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 08:23:46 am    Post subject:

Well, Mirage is the only ASM thing I have on my calculator, and I periodically get random RAM errors (A THEN IS NOT A SYNTAX ERROR YOU FREAKING TWIT OF A CALCULATOR), so I'm forced to blame Mirage.

Note: The Then was placed correctly.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 08:00:00 pm    Post subject:

People blame MirageOS for everything, and I don't understand why.

Are you running these BASIC programs of yours FROM MirageOS? Because THAT I could see. But simply having it on your calculator does NOT make it more or less stable.

I'm just making sure you're talking about running them from MirageOS, because people do blame it for completely unrelated things (like saying because MirageOS was on the calculator, it caused RAM to reset when they tried to use randInt( or something). While MirageOS does mess with some system flags, the OS can usually recover from such things if it actually did get into an inconsistent state, and while it does install a couple of hooks, they aren't complicated enough to cause any unusual things to happen.

If someone can show me something that consistently happens just because MirageOS is on the calculator, I'd love to see it and maybe fix it.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Sep 2008 08:00:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 08:46:23 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
People blame MirageOS for everything, and I don't understand why.

Are you running these BASIC programs of yours FROM MirageOS? Because THAT I could see. But simply having it on your calculator does NOT make it more or less stable.

I'm just making sure you're talking about running them from MirageOS, because people do blame it for completely unrelated things (like saying because MirageOS was on the calculator, it caused RAM to reset when they tried to use randInt( or something). While MirageOS does mess with some system flags, the OS can usually recover from such things if it actually did get into an inconsistent state, and while it does install a couple of hooks, they aren't complicated enough to cause any unusual things to happen.

If someone can show me something that consistently happens just because MirageOS is on the calculator, I'd love to see it and maybe fix it.
[post="127300"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well said, people tend to assume that MOS is the culprit. The only time that MOS could cause a problem (when not being run) is if there is some issue with conflicting keyhooks. Still, it is usually listed in the readme of the other app/program and is not MOS's fault.

It is a similar issue with Vista. Vista is (now) pretty stable, but it got a bad name in the beginning and I hear people blame it for problems when really it was them doing something stupid. Vista had some compatibility issues in the beginning, but now it is pretty good at running old programs, and is often required for new hardware to run at its optimal performance.
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 08:54:13 pm    Post subject:

I would like to make an observation, the keys were back to normal (after 3 or so ram clears) and then I played on MirageOS and they went back to occasionally missing.

Coincidence?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 09:00:56 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
I would like to make an observation, the keys were back to normal (after 3 or so ram clears) and then I played on MirageOS and they went back to occasionally missing.

Coincidence?
[post="127304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, yes, it is. You can't reset RAM after that, still get the issue, and tell me it's MirageOS's fault. That's nonsense.

The ONLY way MirageOS could even remotely do this is if the keyhook wasn't working properly. I VERY seriously doubt that, it's not a complex hook.

I can write (or you can hand-type in) a very small assembly program that disables all hooks, which you can run after you get this issue. If it mysteriously goes away as soon as you run the program, then I'll look into exactly what the MirageOS keyhook does, but I very, very much doubt it.

EDIT: the program: AsmPrgm:FD3363400FD363500FD363600C9

Last edited by Guest on 25 Sep 2008 09:06:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicBoom95

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 07:45:36 am    Post subject:

Well, I can think of no other reason this program would give me a syntax error on the second line (when Goto'd)

Code:
If A
Then
sub(Str1,A,1)->Str1
A->B
End

After a RAM clear, it worked again. I ran Mirage to get my lowercase back, and it didn't happen again--until I tried to hide some programs. Then it started again.

<offtopic>CtlgHelp will give you "help" for the 2: Goto in error messages. Smile</offtopic>

EDIT: Optimizations unwelcome.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Sep 2008 07:46:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 09:44:36 am    Post subject:

SonicBoom95 wrote:
Well, I can think of no other reason this program would give me a syntax error on the second line (when Goto'd)

Code:
If A
Then
sub(Str1,A,1)->Str1
A->B
End

After a RAM clear, it worked again. I ran Mirage to get my lowercase back, and it didn't happen again--until I tried to hide some programs. Then it started again.

<offtopic>CtlgHelp will give you "help" for the 2: Goto in error messages. Smile</offtopic>

[post="127317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What other apps do you have installed? It could be conflicting keyhooks, although I am no expert on apps.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 03:12:29 pm    Post subject:

SonicBoom95 wrote:

Code:
If A
Then
sub(Str1,A,1)->Str1
A->B
End

[post="127317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you telling me that when running a BASIC program containing the code from above in MirageOS, you get a syntax error on the line with "Then"? Was the BASIC program hidden when you ran it?

What version of MirageOS are you using? What OS version and what model calculator are you using?
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Sep 2008 09:34:54 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
luby wrote:

Coincidence?  ][post="127304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, yes, it is. You can't reset RAM after that, still get the issue, and tell me it's MirageOS's fault. That's nonsense. [post="127305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the problem reoccured after I did MirageOS again...

Last edited by Guest on 27 Sep 2008 03:55:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 03:59:42 pm    Post subject:

MirageOS and BASIC programs didn't get along too well before 1.2. If you're using 1.0 or 1.1, I'm not surprised at all and I wonder why everyone is trying to say Mirage can't be at fault.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 04:04:36 pm    Post subject:

Please answer some of our questions if you want help.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 05:56:42 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
MirageOS and BASIC programs didn't get along too well before 1.2.  If you're using 1.0 or 1.1, I'm not surprised at all and I wonder why everyone is trying to say Mirage can't be at fault.
[post="127342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, there were issues with the first two versions, but I'm ASSUMING he's using the latest 1.2 version, since the older ones are almost impossible to find these days.

Please answer my questions so we can track this down. If you can prove to me that it actually does happen semi-consistently or at least give me something to go on other than "I had Mirage on my calc and now this one thing doesn't work", I will track it down and fix it. Otherwise it'll never get fixed.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 05:58:32 pm    Post subject:

luby wrote:
brandonw wrote:
luby wrote:

Coincidence?  ][post="127304"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, yes, it is. You can't reset RAM after that, still get the issue, and tell me it's MirageOS's fault. That's nonsense. [post="127305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the problem reoccured after I did MirageOS again...
[post="127328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What version of MirageOS are you using? What OS version and what model calculator are you using?

You played something in MirageOS, exited MirageOS, reset RAM, and your keys are being unresponsive? You can't blame MirageOS for that. MirageOS does not do ANYTHING that persists between RAM resets.

Please, give me some sort of explanation as to how that could even be remotely possible.

I don't mean to be a total jerk about this, but I really don't like seeing software being blamed for problems that it cannot possibly cause.

EDIT: Did you run the program from my earlier post after you got problems? Did it affect anything?

Last edited by Guest on 27 Sep 2008 06:01:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 06:04:35 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
MirageOS and BASIC programs didn't get along too well before 1.2.   If you're using 1.0 or 1.1, I'm not surprised at all and I wonder why everyone is trying to say Mirage can't be at fault.
[post="127342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I doubt he has anything earlier than 1.2 since it is just about impossible to find an older version unless you dig through old forum posts.

Edit: Oops, just realized that brandonw already pointed that out :blush:

Last edited by Guest on 27 Sep 2008 06:07:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
luby

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 09:17:09 pm    Post subject:

k, I have OS 2.40 on an 84+SE and Mirage 1.2. Other Apps: Krolypto, Cabamap, xLib (unistalled) and FunSci. This issue occured after I had run a simulation that involved making a bazillion random numbers and lasted 12 hours or so. I did a few ram clears and then it was fine. Then, I went to Mirage OS, played a few games and the problem returned. I then Ram Cleared and it works fine now (most of the time).

Anything I missed?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement