This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 12:44:30 pm    Post subject:

I have a quick question. My motherboard's SATA controller recently stopped working and instead of buying an expensive motherboard I'm thinking of buying a PCI SATA controller, but what my question is if this PCI controller would be able to boot my hard drives on startup since they wouldn't be connected to the original motherboard SATA controller?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 12:15:59 am    Post subject:

Yes, you can boot your computer from a SATA, SCSI/RAID card. You will see the device most likely in your setup program and then you just specify that card somewhere in your boot order...

Then the card will usually say something right after the motherboard POSTS... i.e. "Press F10 for RAID Setup..."

You can go into the devices setup, setup hardware RAID, and/or merely set which device that is connected to that card boots the computer.

It is really cake. The biggest thing is you need to install the SCSI/RAID driver (Yes SATA generally uses a SCSI/RAID driver). When you install Windows, just tap F6 in setup and pop in the Floppy Disk, or be smart about it and slipstream the drivers into your Windows CD like I do. Who the hell has a floppy drive these days anyway? I mean, the only floppy disk drive I have is in a box somewhere!

What I generally do is use nLite to SlipStream my Windows Disc. I simply create a new folder, pop in my existing Windows XP media, tell it I wish to do an unattend, slipstream, add drivers, and burn the image. I then specify the drive with the XP CD, the empty folder, the location of the service pack file I downloaded from Microsoft, I type in my product key, typical network installation, and a few others. I tell it to provide default answers instead of hide pages or fully unattended, so I can make changes. From that point, I add my RAID/SCSI drivers, create my ISO and burn it...

It works perfect every time. I have a CD I pop in with XP Pro SP3 Volume Licence. It has my RAID drivers and my Product Key as well as my default answers to the dumb questions... It really takes all the work out of installing Windows.

Trust me, nLite + SATA/RAID card will make you very happy.

Justin

Last edited by Guest on 25 Sep 2008 12:16:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 10:56:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. BTW my computer still has a floppy drive, because I wanted one when I bought it, but it is by no means a crappy computer. I normally had to install raid drivers when I installed XP in the past on the computer because of the controller already on it so that wont be a big deal.

I'm going to take your advice on the slipstream CD though cause I've been wanting to d that for a long time now, just was too lazy too care.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Sep 2008 10:58:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 09:45:32 pm    Post subject:

Having problems with the Rosewill RC-209 EX SATA controller. I formatted both my hard drives, set them up for RAID 1, and connected them to the PCI card, but when I start the Windows Install and press F6 to load the driver it still cannot find the hard disks. What can I do?

EDIT: BTW I have hooked up these hard drives to a different computer to see if they work and they do.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Sep 2008 09:53:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 10:54:45 pm    Post subject:

You can try a different driver, slipstream an XP CD, or try a different RAID card.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement