This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Galandros

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 05:02:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, here is the case:
I got a strange trojan from the web I think. It tried to fake a Anti-Virus from Windows but I doubted XD And I was cautious because of some reasons and I refused the installation by closing it by Task manager.

Then I ran AVG to search and I got rid of it. The kinds from the files caught today is a generic trojan, generic downloader and even a win32 Heur virus.

Now I have some nasty effects =/

I lost some admin rights to use Restore of the system and desfragmentation.
But I can install programs Smile So I can install an alternative to desfragmentation tool, but to restore of the system I only know a simpler one...
Oh and I can make a new restore point neither restore to a previous because they vanished today! And I have one from today about the hour I got the virus I think.

And also in the desktop when I see the desktop properties I can not change the wallpaper from there. The virus changed to a stupid warning of virus...

Is there some program to restore this things? Without some of this tools my pc becomes handicapped in some ways...
And I do not have a entire system backup nor the Windows CD or any kind of system restore. I am on a Windows XP...

Help appreciated.

PS: I know computers system deteriorate from virus to next virus, programs installed, uninstalled or whatever happens but if someone knows a way... I have this pc working very well for years, it is just a pity to start loosing some control of it.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 10:11:56 pm    Post subject:

Well since you have Windows XP, there is a back door in safe mode to log on as an administrator, provided you didn't set a password for it which I doubt you did. You should be able to boot into safe mode login in as "Administrator" and claim your rights back. Also when scanning for viruses/spyware/adware and all that do it in safe mode not normal operating mode. Hope this works out well for you.

Edit: BTW Microsoft got rid of that "feature" in Vista. Well it wasn't all bad, just most people didn't even know about it.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Sep 2008 10:13:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 06:55:03 am    Post subject:

Ok, I do not know how exactly to get in safe mode besides I had some opportunities to enter that mode in some bad shut-downs...
I now many things in the Control Panel and other things from the Windows but not that one... Maybe it is on boot hit some key to choose how to start? Del usually for BIOS. Is from boot I saw that option to safe mode.

TO be more exact of the symptoms, I can run the program of defragmentation but when I choose to analyse or defragmentate a disk it says that I am not allowed basically.
And did not lost all admin rights but only some that I can activate from where exactly? I remember a place in the Control Panel to change things such as these, many time ago and in that time I was not sure if was what I thought but if you point out exactly it will be easier for me to discover. I will try this as soon as I have time. My computer runs well but I want to recover especially the System Restore. It is a good "feature" in many occasions.

Note: if you strange something from the names of certain program is because of translation, my Windows is. But I think I got the right names ^^
PS: ah from that backdoor my teacher of computers could enter school pcs without knowing the passes, interesting...

Last edited by Guest on 19 Sep 2008 07:12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 07:42:51 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Well since you have Windows XP, there is a back door in safe mode to log on as an administrator, provided you didn't set a password for it which I doubt you did.
[post="127032"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
This is only a "backdoor" if you didn't set a password when installing Windows. Admittedly, most OEM preinstallations don't, but if you installed XP from a CD yourself that shouldn't be an issue.
Galandros wrote:
Ok, I do not know how exactly to get in safe mode besides I had some opportunities to enter that mode in some bad shut-downs...
Hammer away on F8 as the PC is booting to bring up the option to boot into safe mode (this has been available since at least Windows 95).

If you can borrow a Windows CD for the same version of Windows as you have from a friend (ie, if it's XP Pro, borrow an XP Pro disc, if it's XP Home, borrow an XP Home disc) you should be able to use that to repair install your machine. The thing you pay for is the licence sticker on the case, not the CD.
Galandros

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 02:01:05 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
This is only a "backdoor" if you didn't set a password when installing Windows. Admittedly, most OEM preinstallations don't, but if you installed XP from a CD yourself that shouldn't be an issue.
Mine I think is not OEM. The pc was bought at parts and they mount them and installed the Windows by a CD, I think. But I do not have the CD.
But I could login in Administrator account.

benryves wrote:
Hammer away on F8 as the PC is booting to bring up the option to boot into safe mode (this has been available since at least Windows 95).
Worked.

benryves wrote:
If you can borrow a Windows CD for the same version of Windows as you have from a friend (ie, if it's XP Pro, borrow an XP Pro disc, if it's XP Home, borrow an XP Home disc) you should be able to use that to repair install your machine. The thing you pay for is the licence sticker on the case, not the CD.
[post="127051"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting and legal like you explained. But...
All of my friends with pc are OEM versions as far I know. I know some other people that maybe have but I lost contact from them or we do not know each other well enough to borrow me a OS CD...

Thanks ben.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So some progress: made a new account. (only a idea after seeing some stuff and worked for some things)

Well this restored my properties in the Desktop that are running at 100% and I have access to "Folders Options" that was an old strange issue and now solved. But ONLY FROM that new account. Still I can not defragmentate or System Restore to make a new Point and to worst from that account, many programs do not appear from the programs list.
But I can copy the remaining from the right folders to the respective folder of the new account but I do not know for sure that downs this can have...
If some have a program to automatically transfer all definitions and programs from a session to other, excellent. I know a sort of this to transfer an old XP account to a new VISTA one.

And I have a risky alternative: use one of 2 remaining system restores but I suspected they were made from the virus...

Or I could go on and forget because the pc works after all. (besides now has some problems at shutdown and begin a session because it totally freezes =/ )

Last edited by Guest on 19 Sep 2008 02:01:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 10:48:15 pm    Post subject:

aren't OEM CDs the same? or was it different for XP?

how much data can you retrieve safely? if you're desperate, wipe the thing clean then clean install another OS. if you go to university, generally you can get discounts on OS, or even get it FREE through MSDNA and other programs.

or use linux...
Galandros

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 02:47:20 am    Post subject:

Well I found some installation files on certain public computer. Now remains to see what kind of Windows are they. Razz Sometimes when someone installs a Windows left a i386 folder with all. With my computer they left the installation of office and useful drivers and other software (maybe OEM).

I am not so desperate but I know those alternatives. I do not like the idea of having to reinstall all if the pc still works well, only some limitations.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2008 02:49:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 07:27:07 am    Post subject:

Check disk do not run either. But all this stuff do not run by the GUI.

But I can defrag and chkdsk by command line. :biggrin: I do not mind using command line for this ^^

Restore system not. Well I will make registry backup and files backup and hope that is enough in emergences.

Also I made a complete backup of all important in this pc. "Some" GigaBytes copied to a external hard disk...

I will survive. =D
EDIT: defrag on command line does not work but chkdsk is all fine. I have to install a defragmentation program, I know one so no big problem.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2008 08:52:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 12:52:47 pm    Post subject:

Curious:
Defrag is 100% now
And also chkdsk without command line prompt
System restore not

And I did nothing Neutral Computers sometimes are strange. :confused:
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 08:39:06 pm    Post subject:

Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

Install that, run it, click the "Update" tab and then click "Check for updates." When it has finished updated close it out and reboot into Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, run Malwarebytes again and click "Perform full scan," then click "Scan"

Wait for it to finish, review the logfile it generates, and then reboot into Windows normally. Open Malwarebytes again (hopefully for the last time) and do another full scan. If it was successful it should report "No malware found."

Hope that helps,

kms375
Galandros

Posted: 12 Oct 2008 09:47:58 am    Post subject:

Too late. Windows does not boot from any special option. Safe modes, debuging, etc..
It just stares at the image of Windows and black background.

Anyway I will put Linux there while I get a borrowed Windows CD. Thanks anyway -.-

EDIT: chkdisk on the pc hard disk did not help. And I can't execute system restore...

Last edited by Guest on 12 Oct 2008 09:51:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement