This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
natman

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 07:42:17 pm    Post subject:

I have a ti-84 + SE and i have had it for about a year. For some reason it is not downloading apps from my computer properly and i don't know why. It keeps saying that my memory is full! Clearly this is not true. I was trying to download Omnicalc ( about 37 KB) and my calc had about 71 KB. I tried to link my calc with a friend's and that didn't work either. Does anyone know what's wrong?

(this does not happen with asm or basic programs, just apps)
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 07:45:09 pm    Post subject:

You may need to garbagecollect to free up space. If that doesn't work, try resetting RAM, or backing up your calc to your computer and resetting the memory.

And welcome to UTI! Smile
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 08:11:36 pm    Post subject:

You can only have so many apps (in app slots). So, you will probably need to delete one to install one. A Garbage collect will help too.
pugboy

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 11:37:56 pm    Post subject:

Apps come in sizes that are multiples of 16kb, and the shown amount of free space is not actually what is available. I would recommend deleting some apps (you filled up ALL of the SE memory!?!?)
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 05:53:45 am    Post subject:

Yeah, it's a little quirky when you're very low on space like that. TI didn't really think that through.
Galandros

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 09:22:09 am    Post subject:

pugboy wrote:
(you filled up ALL of the SE memory!?!?)
[post="126911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is not that hard. Razz But I had too many apps and programs that rarely used.

When you have bellow 30 KB of archive the memory becomes "somewhat" hard to manage. Constant Garbage collects...

The best to do is follow Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz suggestions but before rest all memory is deleting all things your really do not need, begin with APPS. Make a backup of all if you like.

I have a smart management of my memory with almost all the best APPS and programs (not games) around and I have still 200KB left. Thought I still have a few things that for a calculator is dumb (DAWG, for example). And I would like to put again one of the 2 worlds maps APPS around...

If you have TI things, you should delete most of them, see also AppsVars.
natman

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 10:16:39 am    Post subject:

I have garbage collected so many times and reset my ram and deleted a few apps. But for some reason my calc won't download apps still. I am starting to think that an asm program messed up my calc.

and also by the way, is actmath1, actmath2, etc important to my calc or not?
Cryzbl

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 10:21:30 am    Post subject:

Just throw it away, ti puts a whole bunch of apps on their calcs you'll never need.
If you want them later, you can just redownload them.

Don't forget to delete the appvars (these things are basically configuration files for said applications, if you deleted the app these files have no use anymore (besides taking up space))
natman

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 02:56:10 pm    Post subject:

Seriously, I think something is wrong with my calculator. I have double the free archive that I need to download Omnicalc, and Ti Connect still says I don't have enough space. Even when transfering between calcs, it says I don't have enough memory for MirageOS. I have 70KB though! This is just with apps and not programs. Someone help me please!
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 03:17:28 pm    Post subject:

hmm... and you said you were trying to download Omnicalc? It should work with 70K free. If you have any of the original multi-language apps on your calc, delete them. It will free up a lot of space. then clear the RAM and try again.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 03:44:29 pm    Post subject:

Back up everything on your calculator, do a full reset (meaning do it from the Reset:All menu), then put only the apps back that you want. Then add programs and other variables...see if that works.

I suspect that this happens because the last sector of archived variables and the app space are bumping into each other, but who knows, really...the garbage collecting and defragmenting OS code is not fun to look at.
natman

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 07:18:54 pm    Post subject:

I really don't want to do that in case something goes wrong. For some reason, I was able to download omnicalc after deleting an app called "Svenska". But I wasn't able to download Mirage Os after that. Is there a way I can fix this without backing up and clearing my memory?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 08:39:41 pm    Post subject:

Really, just delete all the apps you've never used. Doing this has no chance of harming your calculator (of course, neither does the reset-all method). This should free up enough app pages to download the apps you actually want.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Sep 2008 08:39:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
pugboy

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 09:01:21 pm    Post subject:

natman wrote:
I really don't want to do that in case something goes wrong.  For some reason, I was able to download omnicalc after deleting an app called "Svenska".  But I wasn't able to download Mirage Os after that.  Is there a way I can fix this without backing up and clearing my memory?
[post="126948"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ran out of app slots again I see...

Delete all of the apps (including those Algebra chapters and languages) that you do not use, and your calculator will be fine.
natman

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 10:23:21 am    Post subject:

Ok. And about the actmath1, actmath2, etc. What are those appvars used for, so I know which ones i can delete.
Cryzbl

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 12:03:40 pm    Post subject:

Cryzbl wrote:
Don't forget to delete the appvars (these things are basically configuration files for said applications, if you deleted the app these files have no use anymore (besides taking up space))
[post="126930"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wink
pugboy

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 05:16:41 pm    Post subject:

What he said... er... quoted :P

Also, I think whenever you reinstall the OS, the apps come with it XD

Also, it is safe to delete ALL appvars, but you might loose some settings in applications.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Sep 2008 05:17:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Sep 2008 06:45:37 pm    Post subject:

Many of the applications that TI puts on the calculator aren't even in English. If the name of the application appears like it would be in another language, it is safe to delete it. After all, you're never going to use an application that you can't understand the interface to anyway, right?

As far as appvars goes, some of the study cards used in that corresponding application keeps its data in appvars, but I don't think you'll ever use that application, let alone the study cards that TI provides. If you find the application useful for some reason, at least delete those appvars and create your own on your PC.

If all else fails, try using your linking software to upgrade the OS if it isn't 2.41 or higher. You can check your OS version by pushing 2nd+mem, then 1 to see the "About" screen. The number right below the words "TI-84 Plus Silver Edition" is your OS version. You can also get to those numbers by pushing "MODE", "Alpha", and "S" in that order. Just beware that you should hit the "On" key after viewing the number shown after "BASE Code", else the calculator will go into self-test. Not fun.

If downloading applications to the calculator does not work, provide information regarding what OS you're using, the amount of free RAM and ARC you have, and possibly, what else you've done up until this point.
Galandros

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 09:35:57 am    Post subject:

natman wrote:
Ok.  And about the actmath1, actmath2, etc.  What are those appvars used for, so I know which ones i can delete.
[post="126958"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Some examples to CabriJunior or one TI APPS to see text animated/slides or whatever. You can delete that surely that will not miss.

If you have deleted some APPS and it has not work maybe think a full reset of memory and make sure before you backup up everything... You have APPS "slots" (like TI likes to say on the site) and do not work, strange.
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 06:17:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I deleted some junk apps to free up space and got 508K in my archive.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement