This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 02:08:15 am    Post subject:

I am using a... not-so-high-spec laptop, to put it nicely, since my desktop still hasn't arrived from being shipped overseas (probably going to arrive around August 15th). The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000 running on a Pentium M (clocked @ 2.13Ghz), 1.5GB of RAM, a 160GB 5400rpm IDE hard drive with 4 partitions (an NTFS partition with a heavily modified Windows XP Professional SP3, two Ext3 partitions for Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 Linux, and the Linux Swap file), integrated Intel GMA 900 (yes, I know it sucks big time, and I can't do anything about it other than keep the system in tip-top shape at all times), *takes breath* and among other things, an Intel PROset 2200BG wireless card. I am having problems with the last component, and they are not the wireless performance issues others have posted about on the interwebs.

About every 5 seconds, a couple process spike on my computer at the same time, taking up about 40% of the CPU each time. The frequency of said spikes increases as the CPU usage of other processes goes up. As you probably guess, this is seriously annoying, especially during video playback, gaming, and sometimes even audio playback. I have traced the 5 or so processes to my wireless driver. I had turned off all background programs, and the CPU still spiked; however, even if I let all of those background programs run and only disabled my wireless from inside the Intel driver settings, the CPU spikes immediately stopped, whereas when I turned the wireless on the CPU spikes resumed. Note that I tried this with both no network connection and later with a wired internet connection, and I got the same results.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or even better a solution, to these CPU spikes caused by my wireless driver/card?
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 09:59:45 am    Post subject:

Stupid question bu have you checked linksys to see if they have a new driver out fro your card? They update them often enough that is might be worth a try.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 11:02:56 am    Post subject:

Remember, this is an Intel wireless card, MiniPCI as well. Also, I did update to the latest version (from Intel's page, not from Dell's) and it didn't make a difference.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement