This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 08:56:46 am    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
looking awesome!

makes you wonder why nobody's bothered w/ a port of the gba mario games.  it was more fun when you had 4 characters to choose from w/ different stats, and you killed things by picking them up and throwing them at others.

lots of fun puzzles too.

add quicksand lol
[post="127134"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Wasn't that just Mario 2 for the NES?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 10:58:36 am    Post subject:

A port of a port, I presume.

To be honest, I didn't know that game ever saw the light of day (officially) outside the NES.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 01:59:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe add masked sprites!

Yea, If I knew how to write a masked clipped routine I would.

Same with my shooter. Can't write a clipped routine for it either (it's bugged or something).
NanoWar

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 05:03:28 pm    Post subject:

You dont need to write one, do you? There are plenty online somewhere.
If not for speed: Save the pixels behind your sprite. Then OR the mask on it and then XOR the (inverted) sprite on top of it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 05:36:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I wouldn't bother reinventing the wheel unless you're wanting to prove to yourself you can code one. This game is already advanced to the level where I think that would be unnecessary. Besides, those routines aren't online for *not* using. Smile
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 05:40:23 pm    Post subject:

I'll find a balance when my project gets farther. Atm, I'm working on the general stuff and tiding other things up.. Like not picking up a ton of things at once, or hitting question blocks from unique angles, and not picking up enemies while on an elevated platform, etc.

I think i'm just gonna mix super mario with the question blocks and crap with the throwing stuff.. make it a bit more unique. heh.

If it wasn't for school, i'd probably be alot farther. :\
TylerMcL

Posted: 22 Sep 2008 12:46:31 pm    Post subject:

Lol, yeah I feel you on the whole school thing. As lazy as it might sound, school takes up a ton of time. For real. Then on top of that, I wonder if you work at all?

But regardless, the project is looking amazing! :D

Oh and about the masked sprite, just do a sprite that takes the entire background, taking the mask, then doing reverse bits with the and.

I'm terrible with explaining, so I'll try here:

say the background byte looks like the following:

Then say the sprite byte looks like this:

What you don't want the results to look like is this:

So what you do is create a mask that you AND with the original Byte. The mask bit would look like this:

and then this is where you would AND the original Byte and the mask together. Then go about and just place your sprite however you normally would. So your final sprite byte would look like 01011111. :D

I hope that helps? Like I said, I can't explain things if my life depended on it. Once I get my computer back again, I'll try to show you an example of my masked sprite routine. Razz
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Sep 2008 03:21:54 pm    Post subject:

TylerMcL wrote:
Oh and about the masked sprite, just do a sprite that takes the entire background, taking the mask, then doing reverse bits with the and.

I'm terrible with explaining, so I'll try here:

say the background byte looks like the following:

Then say the sprite byte looks like this:

What you don't want the results to look like is this:

So what you do is create a mask that you AND with the original Byte. The mask bit would look like this:

and then this is where you would AND the original Byte and the mask together. Then go about and just place your sprite however you normally would. So your final sprite byte would look like 01011111. :D

I hope that helps? Like I said, I can't explain things if my life depended on it. Once I get my computer back again, I'll try to show you an example of my masked sprite routine. Razz
[post="127205"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'm pretty sure he understands that much, but if I'm right, then his problem is properly splitting bytes in two if the sprite isn't aligned, and still masking it correctly.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 22 Sep 2008 07:24:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he understands that much, but if I'm right, then his problem is properly splitting bytes in two if the sprite isn't aligned, and still masking it correctly.

I think it gets worse when the sprite is clipped and can be off the screen. From the XOR routine clipped from 28 days, I think all the registers are already tied up, making the mask a super pain. Haven't really analyzed the situation, but I don't think there's an easy modification, but then again, I could be wrong.
TylerMcL

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 06:05:39 pm    Post subject:

why can't you do an

Code:
EXX

or something? That should be able to free them up for a moment with use of minimum clock cycles. Although the routine could already be using them though... Razz I'd take a look, but I'm a little tied up right now :P

Just save the registers that you need for the moment to memory, then do what you gotta do for the masked routine. It shouldn't be that slow, should it? It looks like you have a few cycles to spare anyway Razz It's fast enough as it is Smile
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 09:21:05 pm    Post subject:

probably don't want to do that w/ gray.

i think sigma's probably already uses shadows, but i don't remember
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 05:24:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
or something? That should be able to free them up for a moment with use of minimum clock cycles. Although the routine could already be using them though...  I'd take a look, but I'm a little tied up right now

Just save the registers that you need for the moment to memory, then do what you gotta do for the masked routine. It shouldn't be that slow, should it? It looks like you have a few cycles to spare anyway  It's fast enough as it is 

Was thinking of that, but i'm using an interrupt timer, so I would have to disable interrupts, meaning my timer would be off depending on how often the pics were drawn. :\
I could use it for less called statements, but drawing is probably the most common command. :P

Having the timer off could be okay for a few objects, but i'm not certain over a larger array of objects.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 10:14:26 pm    Post subject:

stack or free RAM i guess... I'm guess you already have smc?
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 09 Nov 2008 08:14:53 pm    Post subject:

Jumping things and pow block :|

Glitchyish atm, but when I actually get some time i'm gonna make a scorer thing for the pow blocks =X

Gonna finish sometime in summer of 2009. It will be uber epic and all that crazy stuff you saw in Super mario advanced is gonna be here and stuff like that. :]

School has kept me from any real progress, grrr. >Surprised!

Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2008 08:41:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Nov 2008 03:01:16 am    Post subject:

huh? are you using asmin28days XOR routine??

amazing screenies, btw
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 10 Nov 2008 06:03:58 pm    Post subject:

Yea, i'm using the clipped xor routine from 28 days. :D

I should be using a clipped mask routine, but i'm to lazy to make\find one.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 04:05:14 am    Post subject:

>_>

lol, even my suckey program uses an bitmask routine i made myself...

[attachment=2502:attachment]
here (it runs at 50 fps btw)

it doesnt need to be clipped because im using an 14 wide buffer
when its clipped, its already off-screen Smile
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 03:25:08 pm    Post subject:

Bitmasks are over rated :]
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 04:09:49 pm    Post subject:

nah, they allow you to have detailled bg

and they make grayscale a hell lot easier
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 07:53:35 pm    Post subject:

Greyscale takes up to much speed and isn't worth using in a side scroller unless you can write epically effecient code.

I was gonna do greyscale, but it's to slow.

I don't know what you're saying about about making greyscale easier(?) with masks.

oh and greyscale and cool bg's are over rated :]

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2008 07:54:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement