This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 12:09:27 pm    Post subject:

So I downloaded TiLP and the ticables/calcs/files programs for linux (I'm running Fedora Cool and I put the cables, calcs and files directories inside the main TiLP directory. Then I opened a terminal and followed the instructions. I typed in "./configure" and is seemed to load fine, bust stopped when it said this:

Code:
checking for ticables >= 3.8.0... Package ticables was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ticables.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'ticables' found
configure: error: Library requirements (ticables >= 3.8.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

So I tried the "make" command next:

Code:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Then I tried "make install":

Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

I guess it can't find the ticables package, but I'm not sure why. I don't know how the package should relatively connect to the tilp directory. Can anyone help?
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 12:17:54 pm    Post subject:

That's nice that you're trying to build everything from source, but you know, it would sure be a lot easier to use the RPMs that are provided.

And by the way, I got to that site in three clicks from the TiLP homepage.

(P.S. if the configure script fails, there is no point in running 'make', let alone 'make install'.)

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jun 2008 12:32:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 12:28:57 pm    Post subject:

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
So I downloaded TiLP and the ticables/calcs/files programs for linux (I'm running Fedora Cool and I put the cables, calcs and files directories inside the main TiLP directory. Then I opened a terminal and followed the instructions. I typed in "./configure" and is seemed to load fine, bust stopped when it said this:

Code:
checking for ticables >= 3.8.0... Package ticables was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ticables.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'ticables' found
configure: error: Library requirements (ticables >= 3.8.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

[post="124828"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is basically saying that you need to install ticables first. (Which one are you trying to install in this example?) The different packages must be installed in proper order (Im not sure off the top of my head what this order is) If installing ticables complains about annother package, install that first.

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
So I tried the "make" command next:

Code:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Then I tried "make install":

Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

[post="124828"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

These errors are because it is the configure scritpt that, when ran successuflly, makes the makefile.
bfr

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 12:00:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, do what sgm said. Download and install this, and then open a terminal, login as root using "su" or whatever, and them enter: yum install tilp2 (you can also use a graphical package installer, like gpk-application, which is the "Add/Remove Software" application, but using the terminal is probably quicker) .

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2008 02:11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 02:47:13 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I went through with c_plus_plus's method first, I tried to install the ticables package and it said it had installed fine. Then I went to install the ticalcs package but it couldn't install because it couldn't find the ticables package.

bfr, I tried yours and it said that it wouldn't work for a version of Fedora <= 9. I have Fedora 8. Is there a different version that will work for Fedora 8?
bfr

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 02:57:50 pm    Post subject:

Use this instead.

Just wondering, not to be rude, but why are you using Fedora 8? You like KDE 3? The proprietary nVidia driver, kmod-nvidia, works with the new X.Org that Fedora 9 uses now, if it has anything to do with that.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2008 02:59:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 03:05:47 pm    Post subject:

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Alright, I went through with c_plus_plus's method first, I tried to install the ticables package and it said it had installed fine.
[post="124874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

so the configure, make, and make install all ran with no errors on ticables?
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 11:52:16 am    Post subject:

Thank you bfr, that worked. The reason I use Fedora 8 is because that was what was out when I got this computer and I don't feel like taking the time to upgrade.

C++; yeah, they did, I don't know why it was being funky.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 10:02:31 am    Post subject:

Quick (maybe dumb?) question:

Is KDE *really* needed just to be able to use TiLP, or is there a way to have TiLP run without having to install KDE (I'm using Xfce, and there's not enough space for another environment)?

thornahawk
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 12:58:36 pm    Post subject:

thornahawk wrote:
Is KDE *really* needed just to be able to use TiLP, or is there a way to have TiLP run without having to install KDE (I'm using Xfce, and there's not enough space for another environment)?

thornahawk
[post="125202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, given how TiLP isn't even a Qt application, much less a KDE one...
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 01:54:46 pm    Post subject:

Google "tilp," hit the first link, and – behold! Four platforms under the Downloads section. It took me a while once to get a certain person to stop staring at Tux and just read the bloody page content, as he was convinced that he needed... well, you see my point.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jul 2008 01:55:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 13 Jul 2008 10:08:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, believe it or not, I'm using a Linux distro that has the compiler and apt (or yum, or other similar utilities) missing. (gasp!) No, I can't switch distros yet due to a number of reasons, and I would really not appreciate comments telling me to throw this distro away. Razz (at least, not until I resolve a number of other problems)

Anyway... the reason why I asked is that I was looking at CalcForge and was browsing the Fedora RPM section (the distro is a Fedora fork, but not something actually produced by RedHat). Since Fedora is the OS that most resembles my current setup, I pull the RPMs from CalcForge, and when running

Code:
rpm -ihv tilp2-1.08-2.i386.rpm

I get

Code:
error: Failed dependencies:
        libkdecore.so.4 is needed by tilp2-1.08-2.i386
        libkdeui.so.4 is needed by tilp2-1.08-2.i386
        libkio.so.4 is needed by tilp2-1.08-2.i386

which seems to imply I *need* KDE or some subset of it. :(

So, what do the rest of you think?

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jul 2008 10:10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bfr

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 11:48:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think you need kdelibs3-3.5.9-16 and qt3-3.3.8b-13 (although TiLP2 isn't a KDE application, the *nix version uses KDE libraries so that it can integrate better with KDE).

If you can get a compiler working, you can try compiling the TILP2 source to remove the KDE dependency...that might work (don't mind the desktop/kde directory in the source).

EDIT: I just talked to Kevin Kofler and he said that you can build TiLP2 from source without the KDE dependency, but that would require a lot of -devel packages anyway. He said you would configure it with the --without-kde option.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jul 2008 01:39:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 01:05:23 am    Post subject:

bfr, thank you for the response. Very Happy Unfortunately, this particular distro, as I have mentioned earlier, is severely crippled, in the sense that I for some strange reason cannot put in gcc or any of the other compilers.

I now wish to ask if there is, somewhere, an RPM of TiLP that does not have KDE dependency? I would be very grateful if you could point me to someplace where I can get it. :D

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement