This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 04:53:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm adding some things that weren't clear about the demo I put up.

Starting the game:
There were some troubles with this. Touhou should always be run from the homescreen, by selecting Asm( from the catalog.
Running Touhou from a shell WILL cause trouble. Doors CS is known to be incompatible because it messes with the interrupt.
Do NOT use Doors CS, Nimbus OS, or any other shell that claims to run nostub programs.

Controls:
At the splash screen, press any button that is not [2nd] or [ALPHA]. Up and down navigate in the menu, pushing a corresponding number works too. Note that the different difficulties don't actually do anything. [ENTER] selects an option.
The arrow keys move the player sprite. Diagonal movement is possible by holding down two keys. Shooting is done automatically for now.
Pressing [CLEAR] stops the game.

Gameplay
Dodge the enemy bullets and hit the enemies with your own bullets. After a while they die. After defeating all waves of enemies the game stops and returns to the homescreen. Nothing surprising here.

Supported Emulators:
-PindurTI with TI-83+ ROM
-WabbitEmu with TI-83+ ROM
Any version of VirtualTI or the Flash Debugger is unsupported. Don't try it, I have no idea what will happen.
I guess it should work in Wabbit with an 84+ ROM, I haven't tested it though.

Tested calculators:
-TI-83+: The program was designed for this calc and should run flawlessly.
-TI-84+(SE): Various users have confirmed that it runs without noticeable speed problems or crashes, but I haven't seen it myself.

The TI-82 and TI-83 are not supported, Touhou will not run now or ever on these calculators.

About the nSpire: Can someone with a non-CAS nSpire test if the game works with the 84+ keyboard?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Sep 2008 04:54:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 06:49:27 pm    Post subject:

If you don't make a randomly generated mode, I'm going to eat your spleen.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 08:57:10 pm    Post subject:

it should be okay if you're not using undocumented instructions.
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 03:00:17 am    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
[post="126791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The problem is interrupts. Doors CS has it's own interrupt for some reason, and I think mirageOS does too (but that one doesnt run my program to begin with anyway).
The 84+'s also have new interrupt frequencies that might be different from the 83+ and the emulators.
Interrupts were also the reason that Wabbit used to shit itself when running my game.

Also, I think my sprite routine uses an undocumented shift function Sad.

Quote:
What do you mean random generated? I can't just dump random enemies onto the screen and see what happens, it might be impossible to beat.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2008 03:06:21 am; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 05:18:34 pm    Post subject:

Well using undocumented instructions is only an issue for assemblers. They actual instructions exist on all calcs (except the nspire) so it should be all good there!
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 03:44:11 pm    Post subject:

fourchanb wrote:
Liazon wrote:
[post="126791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The problem is interrupts. Doors CS has it's own interrupt for some reason, and I think mirageOS does too (but that one doesnt run my program to begin with anyway).
The 84+'s also have new interrupt frequencies that might be different from the 83+ and the emulators.
Interrupts were also the reason that Wabbit used to shit itself when running my game.

Also, I think my sprite routine uses an undocumented shift function Sad.

Quote:
What do you mean random generated? I can't just dump random enemies onto the screen and see what happens, it might be impossible to beat.
[post="126800"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You could, I do it for every game I make.

Of course this would be an alternative to the normal play mode. Or you could have several levels alternate randomly between themselves.
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 06:17:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:

It could be a bonus round that activates if you don't get hit at all during a level. You could also do a survival mode to see how long you last.
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 09:08:41 pm    Post subject:

I think the reason randomly generated levels might not work is that from what i've gathered this game isn't bullets randomly generated at different times, it's arranging the enemies so that their bullets form patterns on the screen for the player to weave in and out of while they take shoot the enemy ships. Randomly generated enemies might create a formation of bullets that the player can't dodge. Although an alternative could be storing a collection of formations that are possible to win and choosing to load a random one after the previous was completed.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 09:35:33 pm    Post subject:

that makes a little more sense now. I was wondering why he originally wanted to hardcode levels. didn't realize it was pretty intricate.
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 03:11:20 pm    Post subject:

asdf wrote:
I think the reason randomly generated levels might not work is that from what i've gathered this game isn't bullets randomly generated at different times, it's arranging the enemies so that their bullets form patterns on the screen for the player to weave in and out of while they take shoot the enemy ships. Randomly generated enemies might create a formation of bullets that the player can't dodge. Although an alternative could be storing a collection of formations that are possible to win and choosing to load a random one after the previous was completed.
[post="126860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I was getting at...
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 12:44:30 pm    Post subject:

That would be very much possible. Of course the trick is making in so that it gets incrementally more difficult, for example by increasing the HP of the enemies.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 10:44:02 pm    Post subject:

Flameviper wrote:
asdf wrote:
[post="126860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I was getting at...
[post="126882"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

fourchanb wrote:
That would be very much possible. Of course the trick is making in so that it gets incrementally more difficult, for example by increasing the HP of the enemies.
[post="127058"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

both ideas would probably increase the lifetime of a single play through (instead of getting to the end of phoenix and just playing through w/o scoring at the end).
GregW17

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 01:57:14 am    Post subject:

It's not showing up in MarageOS? What shell is this being designed for, out of curiosity?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 03:58:00 am    Post subject:

Take a look at the date of the last reply – this project is no longer actively being worked on.

As for shells, you might be interested in [post="126782"]this post[/post] from earlier inside this thread.

(It's on this very page, if you'll read backward through it a little bit.)

Last edited by Guest on 15 Oct 2009 04:12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 01:44:58 am    Post subject:

Hey, I always wondered where Liazon and fourchanb went. They still on any other calc forums or did they abandom calculator game writing all together? Surprised
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 05:58:05 pm    Post subject:

He's been busy with work iirc, I think he is planing to continue work on this once he is done with w/e he is doing at work.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 07:20:51 pm    Post subject:

Woah... how have I not heard of this yet? This is just what I need! Portable Touhou! Smile
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 12:41:15 am    Post subject:

Hard to believe it's already been a year. Cool
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 04:23:39 pm    Post subject:

i do, this was one of the great projects that pushed me to learn asm!
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 07:32:32 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys,

good to see there's interest in my project. You might wonder what happened over the last year. Basically, I've been busy with work for the last year, but I've finished most of that now so I should be having a lot more time now.

(I won't go into much detail, basically it was a function that lasted from october 2008 to october 2009)

I'm still very much motivated for this project but I just haven't had much time at all for the last year. I'll try to get something running next week or so. The biggest problem is that I more or less broke the program while trying to convert it to application format. I like apps but this program isn't really fit for them because of all the buffers and everything.

I'll probably revert the app conversion to get something working fast, add some sprites and levels and maybe work on some cool bullet patterns.
I'll also try to get some story elements working, probably just talk boxes with loli pictures.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement