This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 04:12:49 pm    Post subject:

Touhou Project 83+ (updated August 18th)
A port of the famous Japanese danmaku (bullet curtain) shoot 'em up game. The game is made primarily for the 83+. It should work on the 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE and nSpire (with 84+ keyboard) because of backwards-compatibility. However, support for fast mode or special 84+ features isn't planned.

A movie of typical gameplay of the original can be found here.

First public alpha
touhou.8xp (7.02k )

Current features
* 8 directions of movement
* Sweet splash screen
* Precise physics engine with fixed speed (no lag if suddenly a lot of bullets appear)
* Support for up to 32 enemies at the same time.
* 16 billion directions of enemy movement
* Custom enemy patterns
* Shoot and kill enemies
* Support for 8-pixel wide sprites
* Getting shot by an enemy
* Multi-screen levels.

Planned features
* Custom bullet patterns
* Awesome boss fights
* 16-pixel wide sprites
* Multiple difficulties
* Nice story with a big focus on the characters (expect something cheesy)
* Full screen boss pictures
Maybe:
* Weapon upgrades
* External level support
* High scores
Definitely not:
* Greyscale

Screenshots
Movement and shooting

Menu + diagonal movement

Patterns and bullet hell

Enemy-bullet collision, explosions

Levels, player-enemybullet collision.

Character graphics
Forest Magician

Ice Fairy

Lunarian Nurse

Moon Rabbit

Alternate look:
[attachment=2437:attachment]

Chinese Girl (not included)

Strange Magician (player) dancing

==============
LOL, made this in about 2 days or something. It's supposed to be a clone of the japanese game with the same title (wiki)

No enemies yet, but it supports 65 bullets (only limited by buffer) at the same time at decent speed, framerate and precision, with custom speed and angle, including patterns.

I would still have to code the whole enemy thing and collision etc.
It's for the 83+ if you couldn't guess from the title.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Aug 2008 10:51:49 am; edited 1 time in total
vanchagreen

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 08:19:34 pm    Post subject:

It sounds good, but the image isn't posted.
black-salamander

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 08:45:37 pm    Post subject:

hmm, the image was there earlier when I was on.
MSR5

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 09:02:11 pm    Post subject:

will it be any different from the other space shooting games, or will it be like one of the many Phoenix clones
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 10:27:33 pm    Post subject:

it was pretty impressive when the image was still there. wonder were it went?
vanchagreen

Posted: 22 Jun 2008 10:50:57 pm    Post subject:

fourchanb, post another one, please.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 12:06:04 am    Post subject:

His host is down. That's why you can't see it.
black-salamander

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:23:50 am    Post subject:

well, at least its back now.
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:30:28 am    Post subject:

MSR5 wrote:
will it be any different from the other space shooting games, or will it be like one of the many Phoenix clones
[post="124744"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Phoenix sucks, that's why I'm trying to make a shoot-em-up that's actually good. It's very different from Phoenix really, you play as a cute witch girl and fight against other cute girls. The bullet patterns are also pretty awesome and huge, but not impossible like in the later levels of Phoenix because your ship is just too a huge (in Touhou, only a few pixels of you character are actually vulnerable to bullets).

Sorry for the downtime, my host crashed and I didn't notice until just now. Here are some more pictures I made, of the bosses (Cirno the ice fairy and Eirin the nurse from the moon) and a few more of the main character (Marisa, the witch girl).

black-salamander

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:38:06 am    Post subject:

so, a true challenger for Pheonix, eh? Laughing Keep up the good work!
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:45:09 am    Post subject:

If I finish it.. maybe.

Here is a link of the gameplay of the original: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=BL8OqEnrkeA
vanchagreen

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 09:56:03 am    Post subject:

Wow it looks good!

Your version that is. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jun 2008 09:56:24 am; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 11:51:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Your version that is.  Very Happy

LOL!
no, really, it looks nice.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jun 2008 11:51:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Flameviper

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 04:37:40 pm    Post subject:

Good work. Now I'll have portable lolis on my TI-84!
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 07:52:59 pm    Post subject:

I made something awesome today. Using an interrupt, I have the time kind of synced to the real time (instead of just updating it with a fixed value every frame).
This effectively stops any slowdown, because the precision gets turned down automagically if frames take longer to render.

I also made some more lolis.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 12:32:21 am    Post subject:

Nice subdomain name

and I agree that Phoenix is kinda overrated. Sure, it's a good game to spend time on, but much better could be done. This game would be nice on 83+ and I'm sure it's doable

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jun 2008 12:33:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 04:30:22 pm    Post subject:

maybe it's because phoenix was kinda a quick game, not to mention it had a quick save
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 04:59:27 pm    Post subject:

i think it's more because of the graphics and that it seemed like a Ripoff of Space Invaders and Galaxian. Back in the days it was a revolution and the best graphics ever, the best ASM games were ARPGCs and the best BASIC games used ASCII and ran slow but today in the ages of Desolate, TVF, Spencer's Zelda and 3D engines something new kinda have to be done. Heck, even some more recent pure BASIC games sometimes looks better than ASM ones nowadays

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jun 2008 05:01:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSR5

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 05:44:04 pm    Post subject:

I just wacthed the clip of the game play on youtube, if you could get all of that on the TI 83+ it would be amazing. However, since that is probally not likely due to the calculator's limited processing power how close do you think fourchanb will be able to get the TI version to the real thing?
fourchanb

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 06:03:31 pm    Post subject:

MSR5 wrote:
I just wacthed the clip of the game play on youtube, if you could get all of that on the TI 83+ it would be amazing.  However, since that is probally not likely due to the calculator's limited processing power how close do you think fourchanb will be able to get the TI version to the real thing?
[post="124787"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That's a good question. At this point, processing power isn't really a concern yet, but the size of the screen is definitely going to limit things. Expect a smaller number of enemies and bullets at the same time on the screen. I wonder how many bullets I can fit onto the screen before weird glitches start occuring...

The biggest challenge is coming up with cool bullet patterns that work on the limited screen size.

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
i think it's more because of the graphics and that it seemed like a Ripoff of Space Invaders and Galaxian. Back in the days it was a revolution and the best graphics ever, the best ASM games were ARPGCs and the best BASIC games used ASCII and ran slow but today in the ages of Desolate, TVF, Spencer's Zelda and 3D engines something new kinda have to be done. Heck, even some more recent pure BASIC games sometimes looks better than ASM ones nowadays
[post="124784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Graphics weren't the problem for me, apart from the stupid spaceship design, Phoenix looked OK. What I hated was that the enemies could fill the screen with a crapload of random bullets that were impossible to dodge, and that ridiculous system of weapon upgrades with the shop thing. The only way to beat the game, even on easy, was to get the 5th weapon as quick as possible, after which is was pretty easy.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jun 2008 06:07:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement