This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
angel14995

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 06:24:11 am    Post subject:

OK, earlier this morning I turned on my computer. As per normal functioning, it went through BIOS and then went to the Windows startup screen. I left to go get a Pop-Tart, and when I came back, I got a blue screen (not of death thankfully) saying that the boot drive was unmountable. I seriously had little idea what it was talking about. I remembered that "mounting" is a part of setting up Linux (I got a book that explains Linux, probably never going to be used...). So I assumed that the message meant that the hard drive wasn't giving up the boot information correctly. So for 40+ minutes I was stressing over what to do and was doing things like rebooting, re-rebooting, and making sure everything else was working.

After that 40+ minutes, I remembered that I had a Windows install CD, and popped that in, hoping there was a repair option. There was, and so I told it to repair. It opened up a command-prompt like screen. I was stuck, so I typed in the only thing that I thought could help, and that was CHKDSK. It apparently worked for I'm on the computer right now.

Now my question is, did I handle this right? If not, what should I do now to make sure everything runs smoothly?

Thanks.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 01:07:16 pm    Post subject:

I think that you did the right thing, It's possible you had a bad sector in the boot area, and chkdisk repaired or moved it, so if it boots now, I think you're set. Note that I'm not sure of what I'm typing, so other people are free to post their ideas.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement