This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 May 2008 12:55:29 pm    Post subject:

whoa, I haven't commented here have I?

really like the sprites!
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 May 2008 01:17:30 pm    Post subject:

Well you could make a loader program that is small and stays in ram which archives all the needed programs and lists. this way you only need the two programs in ram, Darkerlines one and the loader which can be small and be archived when done being used. example code in this program could be
Code:
:Prgm(whatever darkerlines prog is called.)
:Unarchive prgmMain
:Unarchive prgmMain2
:prgm(darkerlines prgm)
:setupeditor L1,L2,LBoss,etc. <-all the list you need separtaed by commas setup editor create/unarchives all any lists that need to be al you can then check to see if the installer program has been run by cheacking the first value in one of the lists.
:prgmMain
:prgm(darkerlines thing again)
:archive all of the programs besides this one and darkerlines
:prgm(darkerlines one)
:Archive all of the lists and be done.
TylerMcL

Posted: 31 May 2008 04:13:57 pm    Post subject:

I think I found a solution to my problem!!

Since I use the same equation to load up every map, I think I am going to use the u, v, w variables (located on the 7, 8, and 9 numerical keys). It appears that I can store just about any type of command and then call up it at anytime using only one variable to do so, each time.

So I figured that everytime that it loads your save game, it'll just throw the three functions into the variables. I'm sure you get the point Smile

So, it'll be somewhat like a sub-program?? It should work the same. I'm doing quite a bit of testing with it right now Very Happy I'm trying to see if I can put several commands into these variables, and then execute them without any arguments.

If all goes well, it should make the game a heck of a lot smaller and make it much more easier and quicker to code the rest of the game.

See?? We learn something everyday! Very Happy

(P.S. I think I'm going to use lower-case letters, for the majority of the game. :/ I feel that it gives a more appropriate appearance, and since this game cannot be run on the TI-83 (non-plus), I think most people should have the storage to spare.)
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 May 2008 10:50:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what you're planning on doing with the save game variables, but if you understand what you're doing, and it works, then that's all that matters. :)

As for the unarchive thingy, how's this idea? I could make you an assembly program that unarchived all of your files and then runs the first one. Would this help, or do you not want all of your files to be unarchived at the same time?

Also, I wrote an application called CalcUtil that (among other things) uses hooks to let you run anything while it is archived. You can check it out if you want, but it is kind of unfair to ask the users to install a hook application unless it's really necessary for the game (like xLib for graphics), since hook applications take up space, have to be specially installed, and are sometimes incompatible with other hook applications.
TylerMcL

Posted: 31 May 2008 11:30:10 pm    Post subject:

That would be really nice of you! Buuuuuuttt... I thought about it after a long time. :/ First off, I don't think it would even be possible to have all of them unarchived at once, unless it's with the TI-83+SE/TI-84+SE which I believe allow about 124k of useable archive, and with the help of assembly. I;m already having troubles with the install program running due to the sheer size of it. I've been optimizing it like no other, but it still needs work! :/

I think at this point, I just need to stop adding to it, other wise I fear it might never get done Surprised

I do thank you very much for the offer though majicdan!! You know, that if you ever need help with anything, that I'm able to help with, I'd always be willing to help Very Happy Afterall, I did learn how to program in BASIC and am striving for a career in programming! Very Happy I at least owe you guys a decent game! (Haha Very Happy )

Oh yeah, about the save game variable! That was no big deal at all. I just create a list and unarchive it upon program initiation, and then re-archive it in the exiting commands for the game. It's a 25 variable that contains the stats of both characters, along with the three items used throughout the game. (Potion, High-Potion, and Ethers)

That was no problem. I'll be working on perfecting the install file and the intro/new game file for awhile tomorrow (if all goes as planned :/ )

Last edited by Guest on 31 May 2008 11:33:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TylerMcL

Posted: 04 Jun 2008 09:13:53 pm    Post subject:

Alright! I'm back from a few days away! Sorry :/

Well, here's the progress:

1st Install file: 100% Complete
2nd Install File: 20% Complete (I'm taking a break from all these numbers Cool
1st Game File: 20% Complete

I just recently started the actual game program! Now I get to do this again... :P

I already have the custom menu for the title done, along with the new game, and load game. Smile I have it all set up so even if you have 5928754 ram clears, it will still function 100% properly. Very Happy I even have most of the intro done.

And there's been even more improvements around this time!
1. WoW! I just recently learned about the useable functions such as Y1, Y2... and stuff. So I'm using these for the movement and collision detection lines which are typed in for ever map. Saves quite a bit of space there!

2. This is a new method that I don't know if everyone will agree with me on:
--When loading the actual maps, it took several seconds for the whole thing :/ I changed it so it loads instantly by using the Output( function.

The only problem with #2 is that it takes up alot more data. Not too much, but a few thousand bytes. Does the size of the programs really matter to most people? It's as compressed as possible at these speeds, except for this part.

What does everyone think? Is iit a big issue to have to clear up just a little space for these programs? You can switch them out with your computer as you need them. You only need the chapter that you're on.

-But seriously, the load times for the maps are instantly!!
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Jun 2008 10:33:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd play regardless of size! Of course, that's cause I use CalcUtil and keep everything else archived, so I have all the ram I need Smile
TylerMcL

Posted: 04 Jun 2008 10:57:52 pm    Post subject:

?? Oh snap... I think I didn't mention this part: (my bad Razz)

The whole game is split into segments, as you all know. But once the install programs are run and then deleted (or simply archived for backup use?) you only have to run each program by itself.

I kinda built it with the idea that a lot of people use shells already.

So, what I'm trying to say is that if you use a shell, you'll never have to archive or unarchive anything! Everything always stays in the archive and it updates everything automatically. Like the save data and stuff.

The only time you would have to unarchive something is if you don't use a shell. In that case, all you have to do is unarchive a single program, depending on what chapter you're on. It will automatically detect whether you are on the right or wrong chapter too, if you accidentally load the wrong one. It doesn't automatically go there, it will just tell the user that they're in the wrong one.

So because of all this, I figured most people usually have quite a large amount of archive space open. So I;ve decided that with this scenario, speed would be more of a benefit than size!

(Btw, I actually use the unarchiving/archiving process to my advantage. During the battle scenes, while the different plots are loading up (to simulate motion), it unarchives the next lists so there is no need to insert a for( loop to create a delay Very Happy )
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Jun 2008 12:36:46 pm    Post subject:

Well... I dont know if this would be of any use to you, but here is what I am doing for my extremely large project...

I utilize a program called Resource found on ticalc.org to copy programs from Archive to Ram, and then delete those programs after they are no longer needed. For the save data, I utilize Celtic 2 to move programs from archive to ram and vice versa, and utilize its abilities to write and read the data from those programs. What is nice about this feature is that it will read directly from an archived program, so I can recall the save data without leaving it open to a crash and losing it.

Not sure if that is helpful to you in anyway, but thought I would throw the idea out there. :)

Looking forward to at least tossing this game at wabbitemu. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2008 12:38:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TylerMcL

Posted: 06 Jun 2008 08:42:55 pm    Post subject:

So guys.... I'm thinking of making a trailer for my game once I get out of school (this wednesday!!) I must apologize though, because I do not believe I will be able to finish the game by the 9th as I had planned :/ Actually -- I know I won't be able to :/

So... I figured I'd compensate with a trailer video clip. I actually got the idea from babyboy who was the original creator of Final Fantasy 84 (a new dawn -- or something?)

It's been a long few weeks with school, but I've managed to get some more complete. I really optimized the text in the game, and updated a few other things. I'm actually looking to see if there is an emulator that allows the computer keyboard to be used to type in the text and commands. IT WOULD GO SO MUCH QUICKER IF I COULD!! It would help too because I'd be able to work even when my parents go to bed. I'm usually up everynight until about 1:00 am, so i've got the time -- it's just I havn't been able to have a light, previously. :/

Ugh, almost 18 :D

So yeah, keep an eye out in the next few weeks for a game trailer. I'm downloading the Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection torrent right now, but it's been going for the past 4 nights and it's only at like 4%... Sad I pick up my neighbor's connection, which is a terrible signal Sad
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jun 2008 12:29:44 am    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to the trailer! And don't apologize for not meeting deadlines - you began this thread so short ago that it's great you're as far as you are! Take your time, and I'm sure we'll all appreciate the results.

As for emulators - VTI is rather outdated. I use a combination of four that each have their various merits for me (VTI is not one of them) but for basic programming, I'd recommend WabbitEmu (you can get it at revsoft.org).

Good luck! Smile
TylerMcL

Posted: 09 Jun 2008 09:09:16 pm    Post subject:

Alright, so I've been bugging the crap out of Weregoose with questions (who is, by the way, one of the most intelligent person I've ever met/spoken/typed to.).

After asking 58729035643289 questions, I began putting a little bit more of my knowledge into optimizing and building some more of my game. Alot of more lines of code had been put in.

So, like everyone may or may not know already, I own a TI-83+SE and the TI-Nspire (non-CAS, but with TI-84+SE Keyboard). Since I've got the Nspire, I've been using that just because of the larger screen and what have you.

So today I learned that, apparently, the NSpire (with the TI-84 keypad inserted) does not alert the user when there is a recommended change of batteries. :/

So here I am working on a little bit more of the 2nd install file, and I have 4 or 5 other smaller programs that I use as my own personal templates. The next thing I know --- ZSCHHHAP! Neutral (<-- WTH??) The calculator turns off and the on button isn't doing a dang thing.

For those who don't know already: The TI Nspire does not have an internal battery for when replacing the main batteries (you know -- the battery that saves the ram from getting cleared.). I'm freaking out and trying to figure out a way for the calculator to reboot without clearing most of my hard work!!

So yeah.... An hour later of worrying, I just decided to say "screw it" and replace the batteries. I do so, and turn it back on. It comes up with the normal "Loading Operation System" and returns to exactly how I left it.

???? :confused: What the heck?? Not that I'm complaining, but how in the world is this possible?? Anyone have any clue? I archived my stuff and tested a few times what taking out the battery does. Every time after that, It clears the RAM, just like it normally should?

I think I've got my own guardian angel Good Idea
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 08:34:18 pm    Post subject:

That's pretty rare, but I find this commend quite funny for some reason.

TylerMcL wrote:
So today I learned that, apparently, the NSpire (with the TI-84 keypad inserted) does not alert the user when there is a recommended change of batteries. :/
TylerMcL

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 09:12:27 pm    Post subject:

Well... I feel dumb now... Look what I read on WikiSpire:

Quote:
It is clear that the archive memory and the RAM of the TI-84 Plus is stored in flash memory at shutdown and not kept in RAM because they survive a keypad swap and battery replacement.

...That might explain : / Hmmm... :confused: I'm gonna have to mess around with it more and see what happens. Good news: Last day of school = tomorrow!! (Wednesday) :D

This means two things:

1. I am going to have to do ALOT of house chores that I've been putting off.

2. I'll have plenty of time to finish the game within a reasonable time Very Happy
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 09:52:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to play around with the batteries/memory when you have a big project on-calc... but have fun :biggrin:
The graphics look great and I'm looking forward to your release :biggrin: . As I'm typing this I'm fighting an urge to run upstairs and play FFIV.
(I'm also from Michigan, I live right at the Ann Arbor/Ypsi border)
TylerMcL

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:11:29 am    Post subject:

Ahaha, you're probably right! Very Happy I'd most likely lose my mind if everything was deleted again...

So just to kinda get this out there: I think that everyone is going to be kinda disappointed at the release. I mean, it is my first game and all, but the screenies that I posted are really the only amazing graphics that I have....

I mean, the game is played out on the homescreen with characters as the map (eg. "x", "[o]", "+", "!", "-"...) It's actually pretty good, but I just feel that some others are going to be upset because they were expecting a lot more...

I suppose this is just my disclaimer Smile But, for the sequel, I plan to use some of the same graphics and to incorporate new ones as well. Besides, I'm hoping I will get a TON of feedback on optimizations and such. I'm still decently new to all this, after all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note: I'm taking Weregoose's advice on using lists instead of stings for the hit detection. I did quite a bit of testing for what I'm doing with them, and discovered that archiving the lists and unarchiving them as needed is just a little quicker than converting the lists to strings.

So with that being said, I kinda need help changing around my movement commands to be able to work with this new format.

Here's my previous Movement algorithm:

Code:
:1->T
:While T
:Getkey->G
:Z-(G=24)+(G=26 /->/ C
:Θ-(G=25)+(G=34 /->/ D
:D </=> 0  /->/ T
:D+(D=0 /->/ D
:If not(expr(sub(Str1,C+16D-16      ///no parenthesis on purpose
:Then
:If G
:Output(Θ,Z,"_          //// Blank Space
:C /->/ Z
:D /->/ Θ
:End
:Output(Θ,Z,"Θ

What I need help with, is to change this form into working with a lists rather than a string. Dumb question, possibly, but I haven't worked with strings that much due to their size compared to strings.

Help??
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 03:51:38 pm    Post subject:

Well, it appears you need a 2-D array of somesort, so, I would recommend a matrix.
:1→T
:While T
:Getkey→G
:Z-(G=24)+(G=26→C
:Θ-(G=25)+(G=34→D
:D≠0→T
:D+not(D→D
:If not([A](C,D:Then
:If G
:Output(Θ,Z," //// Blank Space
:C→Z
:D→Θ
:Output(Θ,Z,"Θ

Store your stuff to [A] instead of Str1

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 01:46:29 am; edited 1 time in total
TylerMcL

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 04:10:01 pm    Post subject:

Neutral ugh, I hate matrixes though... They take up more space in my install file because they're 2D and require more commands to compress efficiently. :/

I'm kinda stuck on using lists though (sorry Sad ) So, if anyone can help on this issue?? It's gonna drive me nuts! Neutral I've just been kinda on *pause* because of this problem...

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean -- I just prefer to use lists because I can archive as many of them as I want without having to convert them at all. If I was to use a matrix, it would first have to be converted because there are not enough of them available to utilize.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2008 05:22:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:28:37 pm    Post subject:

There's a way to basically use lists as matrices for reading data, but you can't store to them and depending on the size you might need a ton of lists.
Let's say you have a 10x3 matrix A. The columns can be lists ∟A0, ∟A1, ∟A2. To access A(A,B) you would do :expr("∟A"+sub("012",a+1,1)+"("+sub("0123456789",b+1,1
This would get messier the larger the matrix, but it's a way of using lists to avoid matrices.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 01:46:12 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 07:52:50 am    Post subject:

Well if your using ASCII grapics wouldn't it make sence to use a string as the map itself? it would work the sam way as a list but instead of seeing if the number next to you is one you can go through or not you see if its a letter you can't go through with sumthing like if instring("list of chars that you can't go through",the char your trying to move onto. that is more efficant than any other method for finding out if you can move using list or matrices. Or if you want specific case tests you can just do if "A"=sub(str1,... which it also just like it would be if it were a list.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement