This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 09:33:12 am    Post subject:

I was using my Nspire with the Nspire Keypad, and it was working fine. I turned it off, took out the Nspire keypad, and put in the 84+ keypad. When I turned it on, it showed the usual loading screen. But when the loading bar got to the top, a black bar appears at the top of the screen (looks like an LCD overload), and the calc freezes. I tried taking out a battery, and it still didn't work. I also tried switching back to the Nspire keypad, but the same thing happened. I think I could fix it by pressing the reset button on the back, but I don't want to lose my programs. Is there a safe way to get it to work again? I tried ON+DEL, and it didn't work, either. Please help, I just got the Nspire a few months ago.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 06:15:58 pm    Post subject:

"when the loading bar got to the top"? It goes left to right, so I'm not sure what you mean.

If the Nspire boot code is screwing up at some point and neither the emulator nor the OS get control, it's out of our hands and there's nothing that can be done. It'd have to be some sort of hardware failure. That being said, I think you should push the reset button and/or try resending the OS and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work and you want to be hard-core, you could look at the Nspire wiki at http://hackspire.unsads.com/ (I think) and attempt to solder a serial cable to it and watch the serial debug log. It might give some hint as to what's wrong (although I'm doubting it).

If you're just giving up on it, PLEASE mail it to me. I'm willing to pay whatever cost + shipping you might want for the trouble. It would greatly help in hacking efforts.

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2008 06:16:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pugboy

Posted: 09 May 2008 09:12:22 pm    Post subject:

I would just reccomend a reset.

What would you rather have? Your calculator, or your programs?
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 May 2008 05:25:12 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
"when the loading bar got to the top"? It goes left to right, so I'm not sure what you mean.
[post="123458"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry. I meant when it fills up (gets all the way to the right).
I don't want to completely reset it yet, but I've taken the batteries out and I'm going to try leaving them out for 24 hours. If that doesn't work, I'll reset it or try hackspire, and if that doesn't work, brandonw, you can have it.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2008 07:08:15 pm    Post subject:

I tried taking out the batteries for 24 hours, and that didn't work. I tried pressing the reset button, and taht didn't work either. So I sent an email to TI Cares, and the only thing they could suggest was holding [home]+[enter]+[P] while it was loading, and them pressing [On]. That didn't work either, so if no one has any other suggestions, it may be dead. Poor Nspire... it only lasted a few months. Sad
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2008 10:05:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm really excited. Finally I'll have a spare chip I can desolder and we can get the ball rolling on understanding how this thing works under the hood.

You have made a noble sacrifice for the good of the community!

EDIT: Or maybe I'll, you know, wait until you say I can have it first. That's the excitement talking.

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2008 10:17:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 May 2008 08:07:31 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
EDIT: Or maybe I'll, you know, wait until you say I can have it first. That's the excitement talking.
[post="123595"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Lol. I got so excited when my friend's calculator started losing pixels, because I had never heard of dead pixels on these devices, and wanted to test it out in every way imaginable...until he said he had given it to his cousin who didn't mind the dead pixels Sad
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 May 2008 08:11:52 pm    Post subject:

Brandonw, do you have a chip reader?
Also, why aren't you in #tcpa? we miss you. Sad
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 08:11:57 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm really excited. Finally I'll have a spare chip I can desolder and we can get the ball rolling on understanding how this thing works under the hood.

lol. Most likely you can have it. The only challenge is convincing my mom to give it to you rather than return it to TI.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 May 2008 08:29:09 pm    Post subject:

I hate how they make things easily breakable today. A 1970s TV can last 30 years and one from the 90s is supposed to last about 10 years from what they say. They purposely make things so they break faster to force you to pay for repairing it or to buy a new one. Laptops gotta be the worst for this.
SonicBoom95

Posted: 14 May 2008 08:19:02 am    Post subject:

Sorry you lost your N-Spire. I know my 83 Silver was like a child to me...it came as such a shock when it died.

On an unrelated note, no matter how 1337 you are, double posting is kinda annoying when there's an Edit button on the bottom of all your posts. Smile
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2008 09:05:16 am    Post subject:

there were 2 days gap between both posts so it should be fine, considering there are only 2 posts
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 May 2008 09:22:03 am    Post subject:

SonicBoom95 wrote:
On an unrelated note, no matter how 1337 you are, double posting is kinda annoying when there's an Edit button on the bottom of all your posts. Smile
[post="123633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I know there's the edit button, but there were a couple days delay, and if I edited it with the update, it wouldn't show as a new post. Not that I meant to bump the topic, jut giving an update. Smile
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 May 2008 11:44:26 am    Post subject:

Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz wrote:
brandonw wrote:

lol. Most likely you can have it. The only challenge is convincing my mom to give it to you rather than return it to TI.
[post="123604"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, I know how parents can be. I'm willing to pay shipping (or more) and have you/your mom receive it first before you do anything, or you can tell her I'll do whatever she wants to make it happen.

netham45 wrote:
Brandonw, do you have a chip reader?
Also, why aren't you in #tcpa? we miss you. Sad
[post="123603"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't have a chip reader yet, but I'm looking at them. I probably won't make the purchase until I've safely removed the Nspire chip.

As far as #tcpa, I don't think I need to remind you guys that it has degenerated into a useless channel, at least for calculator talk, which is why I'm around. I'm far more productive when I'm not there, and I'm making good progress on USB things.

Just because I'm not in that one channel doesn't mean you're not free to contact me, even just to chat...even you, Netham. Smile
SonicBoom95

Posted: 14 May 2008 11:53:16 am    Post subject:

*quietly swears to look at date stamps before looking like a n00b again*
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2008 05:21:31 pm    Post subject:

If it wasn't for the drastic increase in trolling/flaming in the #tcpa channel late 2007 and early 2008 by both some old users and some new ones it would be good. I came here in 2005 when it was friendlier and half of the discussion was about calculators, which is why I suggested that the channel is added to ticalc.org IRC page back then, considering it always had between 25 and 50 users.

Since this channel is on ticalc.org and is the biggest channel around, of course new members will go there first. Now newbies come to ask a question, no one cares and if certain people in particular help them and the new person won't understand fast enough people make him feel like a retard. Good way to attract new users in the TI community and keep them.

To be back on the Nspire I am wondering why is the TI Nspire is cheaper than the TI-84+SE where I live? (by about $12) I am talking about the non CAS version, since it is the only one avaliable here.

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2008 05:22:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 May 2008 06:00:58 pm    Post subject:

TI probably hopes that by making it cheaper, more people buy it.

so let me get this strait, #tcpa originally wasn't from ticalc.org?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 May 2008 07:21:19 pm    Post subject:

It stands for TI Calculator Programming Alliance. It was the official IRC channel for the programming group of the same name, which dissolved/evolved into Detached Solutions. The DS members rarely if ever visit that channel, and it sort of turned into the hub for all things graphing calculator.

And then it turned into what it is now.
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jul 2008 11:31:17 am    Post subject:

Hi guys. Sorry for taking so long to get back, but I had a pretty bad storm in my area, and it blew out my router for a long time. Finally got it fixed and in that time, I was able to fix the Nspire too. So now it's fixed. Sorry Brandon, but I won't be able to send it to you now. Best of luck with hacking the Nspire though! Smile
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Jul 2008 11:40:10 am    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
And then it turned into what it is now.
[post="123664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which has nothing to do with calculators...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement