This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 May 2008 02:52:42 pm    Post subject:

I have a particular problem that I'm working on for my dad. He would like some computers he has at his work set up so that he can make images of the hard drive, do tests on them and then after the tests are done, restore the images. The thing is he wants it all done for free. After some research, I eventually found a program that would do what he wants. The next step is he'd like to have it all automated. This is where my current problem is.

Having the program run automatically is easy enough - it has a batch mode that allows you to set parameters in a text file, etc. However, the program needs to run before Windows loads up. I first thought autoexec.bat would do the job, but it turns out Windows skips any commands contained therein... So, I'm kind of stuck. I've done some research on the Internet and have yet to find anything that'd work. All of the computers are running XP.

Hopefully I explained the problem clearly enough... Any ideas?

P.S. The program is Partition Saving.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 May 2008 03:03:35 pm    Post subject:

I just found this list of programs, depending on your abilities one of these might work

The following are files that programs can autostart from on bootup:

1. c:\autoexec.bat
2. c:\config.sys
3 . windir\wininit.ini - Usually used by setup programs to have a file run once and then get deleted.
4. windir\winstart.bat
5. windir\win.ini - [windows] "load"
6. windir\win.ini - [windows] "run"
7. windir\system.ini - [boot] "shell"
8 . windir\system.ini - [boot] "scrnsave.exe"
9. windir\dosstart.bat - Used in Win95 or 98 when you select the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" in the shutdown menu.
10. windir\system\autoexec.nt
11. windir\system\config.nt

I'm fairly sure that a mistake in some of these will make Windows all butthurt.

Last edited by Guest on 02 May 2008 03:05:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 May 2008 03:11:57 pm    Post subject:

I think that you should try autoexec.nt first, because it's basically the equivalent of autoexec.bat for the nt-based systems (including XP).
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 May 2008 08:09:33 pm    Post subject:

windows XP has no pre-boot execution file, the only option you have is to put it in the startup folders. Autoexec.nt and config.nt are only executed before you open a command prompt, or a program that relies on the DOS emulation layer.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 May 2008 11:09:31 am    Post subject:

I tried some of the files that justusdude mentioned, with no success. I guess I'll just use a floppy diskette or something like that. I know that one works, anyway.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Guest on 05 May 2008 11:10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 May 2008 11:49:58 am    Post subject:

Am I not understanding something here? Why are you not just using virtualization?
Ph34r_my_l33t_skillz

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2008 12:18:58 pm    Post subject:

You also might be able to set it up to run in the task manager, so it runs whenever Windows starts.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 May 2008 06:53:42 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Am I not understanding something here?  Why are you not just using virtualization?
[post="123254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That actually never crossed my mind. Thank you for your suggestion, though. After researching and testing it out, it looks like it'll work nicely not only for this idea, but for some others as well.

Thanks everyone!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement