This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 09:57:51 pm    Post subject:

Obvious question,

How many of you use Nickel Cadnium recargable batteries.

Also, what is your maintenence routine to counteract memory effects?
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 02:28:28 am    Post subject:

Actually I prefer to use NiMH rechargables. Although they are 3 times the price they are worth it. I like the fact that NiMH batteries do not have the memory like NiCad's. You can plug them into the charger any time, and it is actually recommended that you put them in frequently to keep them at their maximum.
WhiteDwarf

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 03:15:18 am    Post subject:

lol my batteries are called Rayonac Renewal.....but they litterally only last for a day! and i don't have a charger so i have to wait till 4th period math to charge them which is a pain....so i bought some duracells which is way too expensive....how much are a decent pair of batteries with a charger?...where do u get them from?
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 03:22:07 am    Post subject:

To buy a set of AAA NiMH rechargables, the one's I buy anyways are about $15.00 Can. x2 to get 4. Charger's aren't that expensive. So my calc is running on batteries that cost about 1/4 of the actual price of the calc.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2003 03:24:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 09:20:47 am    Post subject:

i use 2 AAA nikel-cad. batteries for my wireless mouse, and it has a button on it to drain them while its in the cradle. you just set it in, press the button, and hop in bed/go to sleep.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 05:44:54 pm    Post subject:

I have RayOVac rechargable Alkalines. Currently have 2 AAs and 4 AAAs

They do not last long after the first couple of charges.

You know there is something wrong when the charger takes 18 hours to charge them(IE that is a sign they are dead)

It is also bad when you put them in the charger and they are done in 5 minutes (another sign they failed)

In the past three years, I have gone through 16 AA's and 4 AAA's

I then purchased RayOVac's 3 in 1 charger and 8 NiCads AA's ratted at 1000mAh and 4 AAA's rated at 300mAh

They seem to work okay none will ever develop memory, but it is possible to develop cell fatigue, which is far worse than memory and very common. BTW, I will discuss proper care for NiCads because there is a real reason I use them sometimes instead of NiMh's.

Lastly, I purchased the 1 hour RayOVac charger last year for like $25 and it came with 2 AA's ratted at 1600mAh NiMH.

They are very a good batteries.

I then purchased a 4 pack of AA's bringing my count to 6, and I purchased a 4 pack of AAA's ratted at 700mAh.

Yes, they can all be charged in the 3 and 1, but the 1 hour charger is nicer.
BTW, the 1 hour charger can charge the new I-C3 800mAh AAA's and 2000mAh AA's, but I don't have the I-C3 batteries or the 15 minute charger.

I don't plan on getting them soon either becuse I can run my cd player all day, run a flashlight for 6 hours, or leave my calculator on over a month.

Justin, you said the NiMH do not have memory. Actually, you are wrong, but the memory effects/ cell fatigue is less than 5% what it is like on a NiCad cell sience memory and fatigue are generally due to cadnium not hydrogenated alloy.

I will tell you all the true things the battery companies will never tell you unless your read their OEM. Also, Manufacturers will never tell you what I will tell you next time I post.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 04:22:40 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of batteries:
The batts that come shipped with the new calculator seem to have an exceptional power. My lasted for three years, I replaced them recently Smile
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 04:57:16 pm    Post subject:

David, didn't your calculator simply come with something like Duracell or Energizer? When you took it out of the box?
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 06:48:58 pm    Post subject:

David, is Jbirk right? is that all those where?
NextPerception

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 06:56:35 pm    Post subject:

they come with duracell.
I know this for a fact because I just bout a silver version an hour ago that I have been saving up for. WooHoo. Lots oh memory now!!! I have been saving up for about two weeks. my other calculator just wasn't cutting it... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Nov 2003 03:11:24 am    Post subject:

Ah okay, I don't think Duracell is anything special. It is just a regular alkaline battery.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Nov 2003 01:24:05 pm    Post subject:

i usually chuck a 4 pack of energizers (sp?) in about 2 months, 1 month if i do heavy programming.
NextPerception

Posted: 16 Nov 2003 08:52:32 pm    Post subject:

my record is a pack of duracells in a 1 week and 2 days lol.
I was working my butt off on a prgm.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 05:08:20 am    Post subject:

and you had duracells! Razz
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 01:09:55 pm    Post subject:

NextPerception wrote:
I know this for a fact because I just bout a silver version an hour ago that I have been saving up for. WooHoo. Lots oh memory now!!! I have been saving up for about two weeks. my other calculator just wasn't cutting it... Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Shoulda saved some more and bought an 89. Laughing
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 04:00:58 pm    Post subject:

I bet you guys never tried charging a reglar sigle use alkaline such as Duracell or Energizer.

I recharged two Duracell AA's yesterday for the heck of it. I figured hell, if it explodes or leaks, it won't reallly make a difference because the charger has a cover and I don't even care about that charger.

Here is how I did it.

Piece of foil over pointy part (+).

Jam them into a RayOVac Rechargable Alkaline charger ment to charge only Rechargable Alkalines. I haven't tried the 3 in 1 yet. If it works, you wont't need foil for that one.

A few hours later, pop them out and take off the foil.
Amazingly, you have been lied to for all these years. Regular alkaline batteries do recharge despite manufacturers claims that they leak, exploade, and cause injury. They are just covering themselvles to prevent lawsuits.

Go ahead and try it, but be warned we are not responsible, and you should read the warnings and attain a MSDS. What ever you do, do not use a Ni Cad or Ni Mh charger, or any fast charger! I recommend using a charger ment for Rechargable Alkalines because they are similar to regular alkalins.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2003 07:07:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 03:50:16 pm    Post subject:

I wouldnt recommend that you 'recommend' to people to rechage non-rechargable batteries. There is still a cahnce that something could go wrong ..... and you dont want to be held responsible ........ do you? Smile.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2003 07:02:57 pm    Post subject:

I said put the cover on the charger down, and I gave good precationary statements. If you read our disclaimer, we state that we are not responsible.

I never said it was safe, I simply said I did it, and I explained how I did it. I am not suggesting you try it, I am merely stating it is possible.

Here it goes:

Although unlikely, the battery could explode casueing injury, death or fire...keep the cover closed. Wear eye protection.
I guess it is very possible that they might leak though it has not happened to me. If they get hot or warm, that is bad; remove them becasue this usually means there is pressure build up.

If they do leak, alkaline electrolite (Mangoneese Oxide) does not appear to be corrosive to skin, but you probably should not touch it. It is not likely that any alkaline battery sold in the US has mercury, but who knows. Mercury is a toxic heavy metal you do not want to touch.

If you do manage to get the alkaline solution on your hands, wash your hands, and whatever you do, do not get any in your eyes, it would probably burn and cause blindness.

Do not disassemble, recharge, mix, put in a pocket with meatal coins, store above 90 F, short, lodge into ear canal or other orifeces, ingest...

If you have problems, please contact the poinson controll, 911, read the warnings, and get a Material Safety Data Sheet.

I am not telling you to do anything, I am simply telling you that it is possible to recharge a regular alkaline. Also note that it works best the first time, do not charge more than twice, and it works best if they are not discarged completely.

When I say injury, I mean injury or death
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 11:40:43 pm    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Do not disassemble, recharge, mix, put in a pocket with meatal coins, store above 90 F, short, lodge into ear canal or other orifeces, ingest...

Neutral Um didn't you just say it's possible to recharge them? And does your other little disclaimer mean I'm out of luck with my charger meant for those new Energizer Recharchables? It says they're "High energy NIMH"

Sigh..

Spyderbyte
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 12:44:13 am    Post subject:

What it means is that I do not recommend you charge it; it doesn't mean you are out of luck. Obviously, you can disregard my recommendations.

Anyway, here is why it is bad.

NIMH is 1.2 v Alkaline is 1.5

and your Energizer charger probably tries to dump a charge of 140% of the capacity of Energizer NIMH, and it probably does it in about 30 minutes.

Let us just say your Energizer NIMH are 2000mAh, they put in 2800mAh worth of power because there is a 40% inefficient. Now, you put that into the batt in 30 minutes, so you need a charge current of 5.6 amps of constant current for 30 minutes, where the current is adjusted by controlling the voltage.

In essence, you would be hooking the alkaline up to over 5 amps, that would be bad. Not only that, an alkaline never uses all of its capacity and will set off the charge done condition at 1.2 volts not 1.5.

In other words, do not think of using your Energizer 30 minute charger on an alkaline!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement