This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Flofloflo

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 08:44:00 am    Post subject:

Hello,

Today, at school, I had a nearly impossible to make math test... at least, nobody in my class seemed to understand anything of it, and we are on the highest level there is in Netherlands FYI:P

I am not exactly sure how to put this in English, but we had to find the Tangent of the bending point of a formula; by using the second Derivative.... Y'all should know what I mean now, right?
Oh yeah, and only use algebra

The formula was f(x)=(lnx)^2+2LnX-2
My solution:

f'(x)=(2LnX)/X+2/X
f''(x)=(2-2ln(x))/x^2-(2/X^2) = (-2ln(x)/(x^2)

Now, if I am right, I should make f''(x) = 0.
To accomplish that: x=1.

THat means the bending point is (-2,1), by putting it in the F(X).
To get the tangent, you need the function of a line : Y=aX+b
To get a you put the x of the point in the f'(x); that returns 2.
so the formula is Y=2X+B. I goes trough point (-2,1) As I earlier said; so -2=2+B. B=-4.

So I think the formula should be Y=2X-4. Am I wright??

The next question was this, about the same formula:
There are two lines that go trough point 0,0 that are tangents of the original formula. Where do these two lines tough the formula?

I have absolutely no idea... Anyone?>?>

I hope I descirbed the problem decently.... Maybe not, I am not ENglish after all-_-

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2008 08:44:43 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 01:40:00 pm    Post subject:

Your description is all right, except the correct terminology is "point of inflection" in English (the same thing, but in fancy language).

As for the next question: you know a line through the origin has a formula y=kx. If it's tangent at the point of intersection, then k=f'(x) so the point of intersection has y=xf'(x).

Now set f(x) equal to xf'(x) and substitute for the values of f(x) and f'(x):
(lnx)^2+2ln(x)-2 = x(2ln(x)+2)/x

This should give you two solutions for x. The lines tangent at those points should pass through the origin.
Flofloflo

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 10:11:09 am    Post subject:

Hmm... I understand actually... But I would have never thought of that... Atlough it's actually not that difficult........

Oh, and my solution to the first question was correct, right?Very Happy
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 01:23:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the tangent line at (1,-2) is y=2x-4
Flofloflo

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 05:20:39 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Your description is all right, except the correct terminology is "point of inflection" in English (the same thing, but in fancy language).

As for the next question: you know a line through the origin has a formula y=kx. If it's tangent at the point of intersection, then k=f'(x) so the point of intersection has y=xf'(x).

Now set f(x) equal to xf'(x) and substitute for the values of f(x) and f'(x):
(lnx)^2+2ln(x)-2 = x(2ln(x)+2)/x

This should give you two solutions for x. The lines tangent at those points should pass through the origin.
[post="122391"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I might be wrong, but you seem to be replacing the k in y=kx by x when you say x(2ln(x)+2)/x.
Why's that?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 10:06:56 am    Post subject:

I'm not. I'm replacing the k by (2ln(x)+2)/x, which is f'(x). It's just that I put the x on the other side for some reason, sorry if that was confusing.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement