This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Apr 2008 02:04:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to get my feet wet with web design, and so I've bought a couple of domain names. I intend to set up one so that the primary domain and the www subdomain point to a hosting server, and the blog subdomain points to a blogspot blog. I've successfully pointed the domain to the hosting server by changing the nameservers, but now I can't get the blog subdomain to work. When I set it up at my registrar's website, it does nothing. Am I understanding correctly that my registrar still controls DNS for my domain, or is DNS completely delegated to the hosting nameservers? If that's the case, I may have some trouble, since I'm using a free host that doesn't have full DNS control. Still, It seems illogical to me that I can't tell my registrar that two subdomains on my site are hosted at two different servers...

Edit: Nevermind, I figured this out on my own. Turns out, the free hosts are crazy people who insist that their clients use their nameservers which provide no custom DNS management, and actively block any attempts to redirect to their servers from a third-party DNS. Sigh... Sad Anyone know of better free hosting? I'm looking for one that will let me use my own DNS (or else offers good DNS configuration options), provides PHP/mySQL, and preferably has no ads.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2008 08:20:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 02:57:43 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't worry about ads. Well at least with godaddy it was easy for me to put in a JavaScript comment at the end of my code where godaddy puts their ad and it commented it out and it didn't show up on the page.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Apr 2008 04:05:07 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I figured that trick out too Smile but when I finish programming my site, and I tell people about it, I don't want to block any ads, just in case it violates any rules of the host. Also, I do have a free godaddy host account too, but I can't use it, because it has some weird problem with my forms that no other free host seems to have trouble with...

Actually, I've found another pretty good free host with no ads: http://www.000webhost.com/ So far, the only disadvantage I see is that I still can't configure subdomains Sad but I guess I can deal with that, and I have yet to find a single free host that does let me configure subdomains. If anyone knows one, please let me know!

Last edited by Guest on 03 Apr 2008 04:06:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement