This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
MechaTech84

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 07:06:31 pm    Post subject:

First off, I did google searches, AND read the stickies about building a PC, so I have done my research.

I am hoping to build a well-rounded PC for very little money, maybe $600 at the extreme most, but probably more like $400-$500 range. I don't really need to know specifics (I don't have near enough money right now) I just need to know what type of stuff to get.

This is what I plan to use it for:

Video Games (WoW if I ever get enough money for that...)
iTunes. (Even though all my songs are on an external hard drive, this is still a big memory hog on a windows pc...)
Surfing the Web
Making music and editing video (not very often, just want the capability. Definitely not something to spend a lot of money on)

I really just need it for surfing the web, but I would like to have it be good enough to play WoW if I ever get it... I want to also build it from scratch, just to say I did. Like I said though, I am not getting enough money very soon, so this is just to see if this would be worth my time and money. Really I want to know how much it would cost to get one that's fairly fast...

Thanks! --Mecha

P.S. I'm going out of town this weekend (starting tomorrow or thursday for me) and I don't know if I'll have internet time, so if I don't post soon, that's why! Don't think I'm just ignoring you... LOL
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 08:27:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you're looking for good value parts, I'd stick to Newegg.com. That's where I built my pc from, there were no defective parts, and all the prices were low.

As for what parts to buy...I'm not really sure, since I'm not up to date on the hardware side of things. But I would definitely suggest getting a 64 bit dual core processor, now that they're so cheap and pretty much standard, because you never know what you might do with your computer in the future. And if you plan on doing video games and video editing, bulk up on ram (also cheap!)

Good luck!

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 01:38:04 pm    Post subject:

Newegg.com for the most part is good, except on some occasions they have overpriced their stuff. Awhile back the nvidia 780i motherboards were overpriced by $100 compared to amazon.com. Amazon is a great site with usually the cheapest prices you'll find anywhere (including newegg.com) provided you can find what you're looking for.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Mar 2008 01:38:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 08:20:21 pm    Post subject:

If you live in a state that Newegg charges sales tax for and/or you don't want very fast and expensive shipping, you can always try ZipZoomFly...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement