This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Jeffrey

Posted: 10 Nov 2003 08:02:17 pm    Post subject:

I have been posting more questions than answers lately, but...

How do I run an ASM program from an ASM program? I am trying to create a keyhook that will run a program when a certain key is hit. I dont need the source or explanation for the keyhook, just for running the program. If anyone has source, or has time to explain, please help!
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Nov 2003 08:27:57 pm    Post subject:

Jeffery I'm not too sure you're ready for that kind of step. I'm glad you have extremely high aspirations though. I am more than willing to explain it if it is absolutely necessary. The biggest thing about it is you will be dealing with the Allocation and Deallocation of RAM. Luckily running a no-shell asm program is rather easy as compared to running an Ion one.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 02:03:41 pm    Post subject:

i assume you bcall(_InsertMem) then ldir the program to the new location, then some how "call" the program so that the ret simply returns to your program instead of the tios? or am i wrong?
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 03:38:35 pm    Post subject:

Actually your guess is fairly accurate.

If you want to run an asm program from an asm program it gets a little complicated. As you have to remember there is already a program in userMem being executed. So you have to create a bunch of other offsets so data doesn't get overwrittin and cause a crash.

Fortunately in the case that Jeffery is doing we won't need to worry about it because the code will be executed by a keyhook.

Anyways Jeffery here's some code to put in your keyhook for executing a second program. Please note that I have not tested it. If there are any problems I will make mods later.

Lets assume the keyhook code will be executed in the AppBackUpScreen Buffer

Code:
;Whatever code/Keyhook start
keyhook:
 add a,e
 cp kprgm
 jr z,AppBackUpScreen+(ExecutingProgram-keyhook)
 ret
ExecutingProgram:
 ld hl,AppBackUpScreen+(ProgramExecString-keyhook)
 rst 20h
 bcall(_ChkFindSym)
 jr c,AppBackUpScreen+(Terminate_Program-keyhook)
 ex de,hl
 ld c,(hl)
 inc hl
 ld b,(hl)
 inc hl
 push hl;save pointer to start of program data
 push bc;push bc to the stack to save size of program
 pop hl;place size into hl
 push hl;save again yet size is still in hl
 ld de,userMem-2
 bcall(_InsertMem);allocate however many bytes it in hl
 pop bc;size into bc for ldir
 pop hl;Start of program Data=hl
 ld de,userMem-2
 push bc;save size again
 ldir;copy program to userMem-2
 call Usermem;by calling userMem we skip the AsmPrgm token
;once the program is done execution is returned here
 ld hl,userMem-2
 pop de;pop size to deallocate
 bcall(_DelMem)
 xor a
 ret
Terminate_Program:
 xor a
 ret

ProgramExecString:
 .db ProgObj,"PROGRAM",0

Please note that this code is based on the fact that the program will already be in RAM. If it isn't then the calc will crash.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2003 03:40:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 04:13:26 pm    Post subject:

Ok ,I will test it now. Thanks, you have earned your name in the credits!!!
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 05:11:34 pm    Post subject:

There's a bug somewhere in the code. I tested it and it crashed, I will try and find the problem.
Jeffrey

Posted: 11 Nov 2003 07:27:32 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Now I am trying to look for an alternative to the execution idea!
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 09:13:18 am    Post subject:

if you use an external program and the program has been renamed,etc., you might have a problem
if you know what the program will be, cant you just put the program as part of your code? or is the program user-defined?
Jeffrey

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 11:05:46 am    Post subject:

I have a better idea, I will just change it to application format. That way I can use the keyhooks more effectively. Only now I will have to learn what is different in applications than RAM programs.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2003 08:56:18 am    Post subject:

also, jwales, could you not just .org appbackupscreen instead of doing all the appbackupscreen+(excutinprogram.... stuff?
or does the .org command do something else for TASM?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement