This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
SonicBoom95

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 09:43:44 am    Post subject:

I have a problem. If you don't know this already, I (essentially) do not have a home computer, and so I am forced to do everything in my lunch periods on a school computer. The problem is, I am trying to use (read: install) TI Connect and I am phailing miserably. <offtopic>Not unlike some politicians we know.</offtopic> The "limited" account all students are given at my school doesn't allow installing of programs or hardware, and I would love to get Contra 83 onto my 84+SE, as well as show you guys my massive puzzle game project of doom.

Anyway, I need a way to run TI Connect without installing it, if that is possible at all. Thanks in advance.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 04:52:38 pm    Post subject:

At my school, you can't install things on the computer, but sometimes, you can install it on your hard drive. So, what ever hard drive is yours (if you have one) try installing it to that instead. Or, I have found that if you unplug the network cable during login, you are able to install things.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 06:24:05 pm    Post subject:

The only solution I see that would not get you in trouble is coding it by hand, which would take a long time and would require someone to post the code. If it uses asm utilities then you are screwed. I really doubt that installing TI-Connect on a school computer would go unnoticed.
pugboy

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 06:34:14 pm    Post subject:

There are such things as portable apps, but only for open source. I think TILP is open source. Try looking on PortableApps.com and see if you can find it.

Then, you install it on a USB drive.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 07:02:51 pm    Post subject:

How could you do that? TILP requires GTK, plus the driver needs to be installed on windows.
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 07:04:22 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't it just be run off the usb drive directly? just make sure you have all the needed files.... that should work, right?
JoostinOnline

Posted: 25 Feb 2008 07:08:05 pm    Post subject:

No, because the programs have to be listed in the registry, plus the driver issue. The TILP driver is not like some simple auto-installing driver, it is an unsigned pain in the butt driver that takes work to install.

Edit: I just realized if you could get someone to send MSD8X and USB8X to your calculator and you bought a USB adapter that can connect a flash drive to your calculator (I have one myself) then you could save the files on your flash drive and run them directly from it.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Feb 2008 07:11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicBoom95

Posted: 27 Feb 2008 12:52:24 pm    Post subject:

The app I want is Contra 83. It would be possible to code by hand, if I had the source code. (This is what makes me mad.)
JoostinOnline

Posted: 27 Feb 2008 02:38:30 pm    Post subject:

SonicBoom95 wrote:
The app I want is Contra 83. It would be possible to code by hand, if I had the source code. (This is what makes me mad.)
[post="120815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Since when is Contra83 an application? Also, I suggested getting Msd8x because that would prevent you from ever having this problem again.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement