This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 01:58:49 am    Post subject:

Tonight I did the usual web surfing and turned the computer off a few hours. When I tried to turn it back on, I got a message saying "Windows could not start -- file missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. Attempt to repair using original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

...At that point, the machine would just reset again if I pressed anything. So I got my Win XP CD and had to boot from the CD-ROM. I did something with automated recovery and the repair option. Now the computer's working like it did before.

What the? What was that all about?!!? Could it be a virus or disk failure? What's gonna stop it from doing that again tomorrow?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2008 01:59:18 am; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 06:55:08 am    Post subject:

This sort of error has occurred several times in my computer programming classroom, because the computers have really cheap hard drives. I'd do some sort of drive scan just in case.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 08:41:22 am    Post subject:

It sounds to me like a minor disk failure. I would run a disk check utility to see if anything else has gone bad.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 04:02:19 pm    Post subject:

well at least you didn't lose sonic or robot wars. that would have been bad x.x
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 04:49:03 pm    Post subject:

You should probably back those up on the internet, though, if you haven't already.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 05:35:45 pm    Post subject:

Yep. Luckily I made a backup CD for when I was planning to install Ubuntu. If the drive had failed, it only would have set me back about a week or two. I'll probably back them up on a FTP server from now on.

I tried the built-in Win XP Disk Scanner. All it said was "disk check complete." Does that mean everything is okay now?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2008 05:36:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 07 Feb 2008 07:53:17 am    Post subject:

Should be, though it's better to schedule a full test to run on boot (tick the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box).

As for source code; I use Tortoise SVN and store the repositories on a different physical drive to the main working directory; this works pretty nicely. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 07 Feb 2008 07:54:22 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Feb 2008 02:26:06 am    Post subject:

It means the SYSTEM hive of the Windows Registry is corrupt or missing.

I.e. Windows cannot Load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

This means, all services, and the data for most programs is completely messed up.

You should not have re-installed Windows! That was a mistake because now your settings are probably broken forever unless you completely start over.

If you did do an install of Windows, I hope you at least installed it to a Different Folder. I.e. %SystemRoot%\Windows Re-Install\ Folder.

Here is how to recover from a broken registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

This covers the following errors:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM [color=blue]<-- YOU[/color]
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

What you will definitely want to do is go into the recovery console. From there, you will want to go into %SystemRoot%\System Volume Information, take ownership if needed add administrators to the DACL. Neutral

You can use CACLS to do this task.. Google it if you need it.

From Recovery Console, Find a recent snapshot of your registry (you likely have a backup). DO NOT just restore the missing SYSTM Hive. You need to backup and restore a complete set of all 5 hives, because they are relational.

Typical cause of this failure is a dying hard drive, so check the SMART data immediately as it is an indicator that although inaccurate will usually tell you after it is too late and you have already lost data... (Now) that the hard drive is dying. You can also try diagnostics.

I recommend the very first thing you do is backup your important data or make an image of your system. You can use Ghost, Acronis, or OpenSource Partimage to accomplish this task.

If you have already re-installed Windows, you can still go into the recovery console and backup your current registry. From there, you can delete the hive files and if you have a complete set of old ones, you can load them. That would restore all of your old settings and fix all of your broken applications that are looking for stuff in the Registry if the system will still work after doing this.

The only foreseeable problem is that the system SID is likely different now now that you re-installed Windows, which might result in a BSOD during system boot because the Security IDs will likely be wrong on all Access Lists breaking Permissions everywhere. Moreover, the SysKey used to encrypt the Security Accounts Manager (accounts in here), LSA Secrets, Certificate Authority, and a few others are keyed from. Since much is keyed from the SAM, which is one of the registry hive, this may work, but I don't know. If it does not work, you can restore the backup of your repaired Windows install, boot and run the syskey utility and change the location the syskey is stored. This might work, but it probably won't as I bet it marks your choice in the registry.

My Recommendation (What I would do):

1. Make a backup of your Documents, Email, ISP Settings, and all that type of stuff
2. Get your Windows Product Key if needed use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder
3. Download all of the needed drivers and use some sort of a driver backup utility to get your bases covered.
4. Ensure you have SP2 Windows XP media if not, slipstream
5. Verify your hardware AKA ensure the hard drive is actually good. If your hard drive is not good, replace it if you value your time and sanity and wish to avoid this 13-step plan in the future
6. If you are going to make any system changes even minor ones like flash the BIOS, do it now.
7. Do a clean install of Windows. Setup your partition scheme however you want.
8. Format NTFS (Quick) "Works even on a brand new, unformatted drive and saves your time"
9. When Windows boots, ensure the network cable is unplugged (unless your network driver is not installed) and turn on the Windows Firewall (Unless you have a router doing NAT). You will want at least the basic NAT through whatever means to prevent an immediate attack from the Internet to your insecure system.
10. Install your drivers
11. Run Windows Update -> Install/Run Microsoft Update
12. Install your programs/apps/software and their updates
13. Restore your backups and migrate your settings back.
14. Do not forget things like AntiVirus and all the good Windows Practices. I.e. Avoid Internet Explorer, it carries Blue Plague (ActiveX and Security Exploits) unless locked down and used properly. Firefox is much safer.

Preventative Strategy:
Setup a Microsoft Backup Schedule or something third party. Use something like PartImage to make a backup image of this system, so you can restore it within 15 minutes if it breaks down again.
Also Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756, (How to Backup and Restore the Registry)

Good Luck, Happy Installing :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 08 Feb 2008 02:53:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement