This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
NextPerception

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 09:37:37 pm    Post subject:

with the huge archive that the ti83+ silver edition has does it take longer to garbage collect?
Matt

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 09:43:20 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't think so. Does anybody have any information?
b__

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 09:51:42 pm    Post subject:

It takes about 10 seconds.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Nov 2003 11:45:50 pm    Post subject:

the normal 83+ takes longer than that! mine 83+ takes about 25-30
Glen
Prokul Interactive

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 02:40:22 am    Post subject:

just wondering, how come sometimes it collects garbage and sometimes it doesnt?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 07:20:15 am    Post subject:

Garbage collection in flash memory is useful for re-allocating where programs are stored so that you don't have fragmented freespace. This is essential if you want to make use of all or most of your free space with programs. Without the garbage collection you could have as much as 100KB free all in 2KB chunks making it impossible to load a 4KB program into your flash memory. In computer terms the process is essentially the same as defragmenting your harddrive.

The more you write to and delete from flash memory, the more frequent you will have to garbage collect. Which brings up another problem with shells that copy a program out of flash memory so you can write your game scores, etc. to it, then rewrite the program back into flash memory, they cannot guarantee its going to be written back in the same spot in flash memory, which then brings about the garbage collection process more frequently.

--AlienCC
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 12:05:50 pm    Post subject:

Also, flash memory can only be rewritten for a limited amount of times. I think 100,000 is the minimum. I can't remember correctly, but I believe that 100,000 Garbage Collects would be 25 times a day for 10 years. Can anyone check me on that?

To kind of offer my own input. When you put something in archive it writes it to the flash rom chip. As long as you don't take it out or whatever, you'll be fine. But unarchive it or delete, it's merely marked as that. Deleting phoenix doesn't actually do that. It just marks it as deleted. When garbage collecting, the calculator goes through the memory and removes whatever has been marked deleted, for example, and shoves everything up front leaving the open memory nice, clean, and big.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 01:21:56 pm    Post subject:

They are rated by AMD the chip manufacuer at 2 million erasures, but TI rates them at only 200,000. Either way, your calculator will last longer than you need it.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Nov 2003 02:28:58 pm    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Either way, your calculator will last longer than you need it.

i guess this is all that matters really, huh?
X1011

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 06:50:51 pm    Post subject:

b__ wrote:
It takes about 10 seconds.

Quote:
the normal 83+ takes longer than that! mine 83+ takes about 25-30

It isn't a fixed time, the more garbage collecting it has to do, the more time it takes.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 07:26:19 pm    Post subject:

X1011 wrote:
It isn't a fixed time, the more garbage collecting it has to do, the more time it takes.

hehe, that sounds kind of funny, but it is really true... i hope you dont mind if i rephrase it slightly here :
Quote:
If you have more stuff stored, then it will take longer to do a garbage collect
is that any better? or am i just making a fool of myself (again...)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 09:07:21 pm    Post subject:

I thought that it had to garbage collect after a certain amount of programs being run - the more programs you've run since the last garbage collect the more time it takes. I don't really know though, this is just the idea I got 4 years ago after reading the manual.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Nov 2003 09:20:56 pm    Post subject:

not run. archived/unarchived

see:
when you un archive a program, it marks it for deletion, but doesnt delete it
when you archive something, it checks if there is a continuous string of free archive, and if not garbase collects, deleting anything marked for deletion and moving all free space to the end in one long string.
then it archives.
the more data it has to move to $8000-$8100 then back to archive, the longer it takes.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement