This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Dec 2007 09:44:22 pm    Post subject:

elf I checked for about 15 mins, and I did the best I could Razz. SInce it didnt mattered much I stopped after 15 mins tho
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 01:47:12 am    Post subject:

jvndrbrg wrote:
...I do hate Kerm...
[post="116657"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That explains why you come onto my site to spout hatred and misinformation. Oh no wait, no it doesn't.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2007 10:10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 10:35:35 am    Post subject:

The subject of this topic is ticalc.org, not whether or not Joshua is a troll.

Frankly, I don't care what he does on other sites, but if he starts bringing it here we'll deal with it then. I realize that "I hate xxx" isn't a very polite statement and could be considered a violation of ToC #1. However, instantly labeling someone as a troll is slightly unfair and provocative too.

Personally, I haven't had a use for ticalc.org in a while. They're basically the 800-pound gorilla with the extensive archives, but I would call it a common hosting service rather than a usable file archive. There was a chance to change this with ratings, but that never got anywhere.

However, I think they have a great foundation, and it wouldn't be too hard to make it back into an active, usable site.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2007 10:54:48 am; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 07:56:45 pm    Post subject:

I think some good filtering, a new look, some new staff, and other minor touch ups are all that is needed. Better organization for the archives would be in order also. It takes too long to get to what you are looking for and the search function take multiple tries to find what you want.
Plague

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 08:14:48 pm    Post subject:

I wish there was a website that had only the quality programs, like the best of quadratic formula etc... instead of having a million basic math programs with only a couple thrown in the mix that are actualy worth downloading.

I dont see why they would fire a staff member at all, they should have several archivers so they can stay on top of things and post some kind of news every day. To me thats just common sense.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 08:59:33 pm    Post subject:

yeah i agree if you can't have two full time archivers then have 5 part time ones or something like that.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 09:24:43 pm    Post subject:

As far as the news is concerned, I think MichaelV is too picky and biased towards assembly. The two recent news items were definitely cool, but I just can't help notice that he hardly ever features anything TI-Basic related. What do you guys think?
JoostinOnline

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 09:32:02 pm    Post subject:

I just went over a years worth of News articles by ticalc.org and found that none of them were about Basic. I would think that Metroid II would be mentioned at least.

Edit: Somehow I overlooked Bowling. That is the only Basic file mentioned in the news for the past year unless I have missed something else. I even did a search for the word Basic on the page.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2007 09:49:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 09:39:16 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, it was. But he only ended up featuring Bowling because he had lack of news items...there were plenty of other feature-worthy programs that were released during that time, both Basic and ASM.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 09:40:12 pm    Post subject:

You sir, are wrong.

Metroid II (as well as a half dozen of his other games and quite a few other xLib games) were featured. On the other hand, there is almost never a featured pure basic game.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Dec 2007 03:35:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 09:44:23 pm    Post subject:

I meant the expansion one.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 11:24:13 pm    Post subject:

The expansion wasn'T featured because it is still in the pending queue since about a month.

And even if Metroid II and Bowling were featured I still think he's too biased toward assembly because it has been 3 years since a pure basic game (using no asm libs) was featured and it was Civilization Simulator 1 and the previous featured pure BASIC game was in 1999 for the TI-89 and it was Final Fantasy Destination, contra was never featured even if it should have been

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2007 11:25:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 04 Dec 2007 06:23:56 pm    Post subject:

Wait, do they only mention programs on the news when they are featured? Or does featured me on the ticalc news?
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Dec 2007 07:46:54 pm    Post subject:

when they are featured. There used to be a time when not all featured programs got news tho, but this is history. Now it's all of them

They really need to quit sticking to finished/submitted programs tho, especially if their archives are so slowly updated atm
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Dec 2007 07:53:12 pm    Post subject:

Well, it really makes sense that they'd stick to finished products. Because so many projects never get finished, and it would be silly if something featured never got completed.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Dec 2007 02:24:12 am    Post subject:

i still think they should, so it gives more motivation for the users to finish them
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Dec 2007 02:32:34 am    Post subject:

Possibly add a "Projects in progress" section?
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Dec 2007 09:29:38 am    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
i still think they should, so it gives more motivation for the users to finish them
[post="116858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I disagree. I don't believe incomplete projects should even be hosted. Besides that though, it's not ticalc's job to motivate developers. I'd rather not hear about every Joe Shmoe's "I'm making Halo, here's the title screen" project.

Now, Ticalc having a message board would probably suit the announcement of incomplete works better. So far they've been to strict on just being a file archive, that's not to useful when its difficult for users to give feed back on products.

Honestly, I've made a lot of stuff over the years, but I've only released a handful to Ticalc. Seems pointless to me not knowing if it's getting any use.
CoBB

Posted: 05 Dec 2007 11:20:25 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Well, it really makes sense that they'd stick to finished products. Because so many projects never get finished, and it would be silly if something featured never got completed.

Heh, Death Rally got featured despite it being explicitly declared to be abandoned...
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Dec 2007 12:51:49 pm    Post subject:

They actually deleted the old projects-in-progress section; I'm disappointed.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement