This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Igrek

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 05:34:56 pm    Post subject:

We had a discussion with our math teacher weather or not this notation is internationally accepted. It stands for the set of real numbers, without zero.

[[font="Courier"]R

(Like the set of real numbers but with a small zero in the right lower corner.)

Edit: There was some kind of problem...

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2007 05:46:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:24:05 pm    Post subject:

This? 0
Does it include irrationals and negatives? I don't think that a set would be defined just to leave out 0, it seems kind of pointless.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2007 07:24:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:27:03 pm    Post subject:

You might use it, for example to define 1/x as a function from -{0} to (because it's not a function if defined from to )

And no, I've never seen this notation used before.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2007 07:27:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:31:07 pm    Post subject:

I thought of that too DarkerLine, but it doesn't really have a lot of applications.
Plus, if 0 is excluded from the set of all reals, doesn't that remove it's identity element, thus demoting it from being a complete set?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:37:51 pm    Post subject:

It stops being an additive group, but it becomes a multiplicative group (since now, every element has a multiplicative inverse). And regardless of its usefulness as a mathematical object, it is very useful as mathematical notation, for example saying x∈0 could be a shorthand method of writing "x is a nonzero real number" which is useful all the time.

I would probably write -{0} as above or \{0}, though.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:42:33 pm    Post subject:

What do you mean ℝ-{0} and ℝ\{0}?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Nov 2007 07:45:39 pm    Post subject:

The same thing as ℝ0 (which I've never seen used).

In general, X-Y or X\Y (when X and Y are sets) is called the "difference" of two sets and consists of all elements of X that aren't elements of Y. So it's clear that ℝ-{0} consists of all elements of ℝ that aren't elements of {0}, that is, all nonzero real numbers.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2007 07:46:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Igrek

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 12:14:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll tell my math teacher that she is right, that it isn't used (anymore)in other countries.
We use it a lot in situations like:
log(x) only has a real answer when x∈+0.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 04:06:11 pm    Post subject:

wouldn't just x>0 work? or do you have one of those teachers that is anal about using precise notation for everything? (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, but some teachers do go a bit overboard)
Igrek

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 05:42:46 pm    Post subject:

We are allowed to say x>0 but when you have to tell the domain of f(x) it is only possible to use dom(f(x))=+0.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 06:21:43 pm    Post subject:

+0 seems to be horrendous notation to me for positive reals which don't include zero, considering 0 is so commonly used for natural numbers which do include zero.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2007 12:03:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Igrek

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 06:41:51 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
+0 seems to be horrendous notation to me for positive reals which don't include zero, considering 0 is so commonly used for natural numbers whihc do include zero.
[post="115755"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We use 0 for natural numbers which don't include zero and for natural numbers which do include zero.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2007 06:42:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 08:04:46 pm    Post subject:

I thought that the natural numbers never (or at least aren't supposed to) included 0. I still don't see the point in modifying the actual sets to include/exclude 0. If there isn't a set that contains what you want, I don't think you should modify the notation for ones that already do exist and hope that people know what you're talking about. My opinion is that formal notation is formal notation, so either use it or don't, not modify it to suit your purposes.

[edit] scratch that never part, I didn't read the rest of the paragraph. It is debatable whether to include it or not (but I still think that the nats don't include 0)

Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2007 08:06:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2007 11:22:01 pm    Post subject:

Igrek wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
+0 seems to be horrendous notation to me for positive reals which don't include zero, considering 0 is so commonly used for natural numbers whihc do include zero.
[post="115755"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We use 0 for natural numbers which don't include zero and for natural numbers which do include zero.
[post="115757"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I don't believe I've ever seen that before. Most sources I've read, including Wikipedia which I've just checked, use 0 for the natural numbers with 0. It seems more natural that way (no pun intended). + is more suitable for the positive integers, in my opinion.

simplethinker wrote:
[edit] scratch that never part, I didn't read the rest of the paragraph.  It is debatable whether to include it or not (but I still think that the nats don't include 0)
[post="115759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Well, like the quote says, it's sometimes convenient to assume they don't, and sometimes preferable to assume they do. And the unfortunate thing about saying that "formal notation is formal notation" is that it's not, and has never been, consistent (as this topic proves). When writing a formal paper, it's best explain the notation you use if it makes a difference to your argument.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2007 11:25:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Igrek

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 06:53:27 am    Post subject:

Dutch Wikipedia wrote:
    * Positieve gehele getallen (inclusief 0): of
    * Strikt-positieve gehele getallen (exclusief 0):
    * Strikt-negatieve gehele getallen (exclusief 0):
    * Negatieve gehele getallen (inclusief 0):

Translation wrote:
    * Positive integers (including 0): or
    * Strictly-positive integers (excluding 0):
    * Strictly-negative integers (excluding 0):
    * Negative integers (including 0):

In class we use 0 instead of

Edit: Both Dutch and English Wikipedia say may or may not include 0... it seems just to be a matter of agreements...

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2007 07:06:32 am; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 11:04:54 pm    Post subject:

In all the years I have perused the mathematical literature, I haven't seen the notation you describe. Then again, I have been limited to the literature of America, Germany, and Russia. Maybe it was used somewhere else.

And yes, I'd use set difference notation to for the set you describe (ℝ-{0}).

thornahawk
Igrek

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 11:12:01 am    Post subject:

It is dutch notation.

An other similar question, do you write

loga b
or
alog b

(We use the second option)

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2007 11:17:01 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2007 01:38:28 pm    Post subject:

Wow, you dutch people use really crazy notation. I've never seen logs with superscripts like that before. In fact, I've never seen superscripts used as prefixes (although subscripts used as prefixes do occur, for example for modules, in abstract algebra).

But even http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logaritme uses the subscript notation! (logax) Although it does mention the other possibility.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2007 01:40:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement