This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Chasney913

Posted: 12 Nov 2007 10:08:27 pm    Post subject:

Although most people use what you are talking about, we use a different program interface called ROBOLAB, which offers more power, but does take a bit more explaining. Pretty cool though. It has a bunch more stuff than the RIS interface. There is also NQC (Not Quite C) and leJos (Java) which are object-oriented programming languages, as opposed to RIS and ROBOLAB, which are graphical.

We don't have many people on our team (3-4), so everybody has to know how to code, although everybody has different general tasks. (Builder, Programmer, etc.) I am the builder, but also know how to code, so it doesn't really matter.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2007 11:14:15 pm    Post subject:

Chasney913 wrote:
Although most people use what you are talking about, we use a different program interface called ROBOLAB, which offers more power, but does take a bit more explaining. Pretty cool though. It has a bunch more stuff than the RIS interface. There is also NQC (Not Quite C) and leJos (Java) which are object-oriented programming languages, as opposed to RIS and ROBOLAB, which are graphical.

NQC is not at all object-oriented. its lower level even than C would be on a PC.
actually, I think you can get an RCX assembly sdk from some obscure section of the lego website, although they may have taken it down since the release of NXT :(

there are a couple other firmware projects floating around on sourceforge if I remember correctly that provide other languages. There's a LOGO like one too iirc, but its been ages since I've used that.....MindScript maybe?

aha,

http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2/

:) have fun.
Chasney913

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 07:07:54 am    Post subject:

Good point. I guess I merged NQC and leJos together. Whoops. Anyway, yes those seem to be different than what I was talking about. I should take a look at them, but we probably won't get time to learn in time for the competition. Nice to know for next year though.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 05:38:03 pm    Post subject:

There's also Forth for the RCX. I own ROBOLAB; it is the only language that I have ever used.
Chasney913

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 07:11:41 am    Post subject:

Well, I have used the RIS system, but ROBOLAB is so much easier and cleaner to use. And it is more powerful than the RIS system, I believe. Like I said, I think we have an advantage over other people because of it, but we tend to use more novel ideas, (like a 3-hub tread design) rather than just the same old thing over and over again, so we start from scratch every time. After the competition, I'll let everyone know how we did. We did pretty well last year, but we'd like to improve and work out some bugs that we had (not beeping, etc.)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement