This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 10:17:01 pm    Post subject:

I am creating a website right now and I want to password protect the info that is in one html document so that in order to view that page you have to input the password. From what I can gather I am going to have to use PHP in order to do that. I can create an password box and what not, but I have no clue how to use PHP to force the user to input the correct password to view the page. I don't know too much about PHP except what I learned today while trying to get this to work. To clarify a little bit, I am using iWeb to create a web page so that I don't have to manually go through and do all the formatting. It allows you to insert little html snippets of your own into the page, but I am not sure how to make it force you to enter a password to enter the site. Also, I am hosting this site on UTI for those of you who know about what UTI has installed in the way of helping me with this.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 10:26:42 pm    Post subject:

I googled password protect a php page, and came up with this: http://www.totallyphp.co.uk/scripts/passwo...tect_a_page.htm. I hope it helps.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 10:38:45 pm    Post subject:

Wow, why didn't I think of googling that combination of words. Let me check and see if it works with my setup.

Edit: perfect

Last edited by Guest on 18 Sep 2007 10:43:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 05:05:30 am    Post subject:

If you just need to password protect a page then PHP sounds like overkill. Apache can be configured to password-protect a page (or directory) via an .htaccess file, and IIS provides a GUI manager to edit permissions.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 01:39:07 pm    Post subject:

It seems to me that it would be easier to paste code into a php file that does password protection than to go through the server configuration or make another file. If the php script is already written, why not use it?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 03:24:25 pm    Post subject:

Well, maybe using PHP isn't as easy as I thought it would be. The site I am trying to protect can be found at http://www.jbcquiz.unitedti.org/JBC_Quizzi...ntact_Info.html
Don't worry, you can look at it now, I haven't put in all the information that I need hidden. If someone could view the source and tell me why my PHP isn't working I would be elated.

Edit:

Nevermind, all I had to do was rename the file to .php.

Sometimes bugs are really stupid errors.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Sep 2007 03:42:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement