This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 07:20:21 pm    Post subject:

My family just moved, and I'm trying to set-up a network. We have a PC running Windows XP and an Ibook with OSX. Our ISP is SBC (AT&T), we have a wireless modem. I've been able to get the Ibook and the PC to connect to the internet. My problem now is trying to set up our printer to do remote jobs from the laptop. It's an HP PSC 1500, and I know that it can handle printer sharing. I've installed the software on both computers, the printer's hooked up to the PC and it will print fine. My problem is trying to get the laptop to access the printer. After a lot of screwing around, I finally got the laptop to recognize the printer. The problem is that when I go to print, it either doesn't respond, or starts printing out pages and pages of jargon, and only stops when it runs out of paper or I turn it off. I've never had this problem before, but at our old house I never bothered to try and set-up the printer-sharing. This is seriously starting to piss me off, I had this (explicit paragraph) thing trained!!! Please don't recommend Linux, to get around this whole everything Microsoft and Apple sucks, I've argued that to my mom for years. If anyone has any ideas on what I should do, tell em. Even if you don't know exactly what I should do, any ideas could get my mind geared towards it.
Thanks for anything anyone can do.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 08:38:00 pm    Post subject:

First off, I don't have much experience with Apple computers, and I have no experience with PC-Mac networks. However, a couple of ideas:

First, double check that you're using the right driver on the Ibook. Make sure it's the latest driver, and maybe check some forums to see if anyone else has this problem.

Second, I've heard of software products that facilitate cross-platform networking. I expect that they help with this sort of problem, so maybe you can find a trial for one and see if it works.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 08:40:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...we have a wireless modem...
Do you mean a wireless router, or is this just somthing that I've never heard of?
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 08:42:01 pm    Post subject:

It's a modem with built-in wireless capabilities, so I don't need to hook up a router to it to get wireless.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 08:48:44 pm    Post subject:

A modem is for dialup though. I don't think there is such thing as wireless dialup. A wireless ROUTER is used for getting wireless internet on laptops (and other things). It's called a wireless router wether if it's built in or not.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Sep 2007 08:49:50 pm    Post subject:

It's the DSL box, sorry, it serves the same purpose (basically), and as you can read from my first post, I'm slightly irritable.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 07:06:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah I waaaas trying to do a similar thing for some friends of mine but The laptop was also runing XP. The laptop just could never find the printer it was weird.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 07:25:03 pm    Post subject:

I think the problem in this scenario all steams from the printer. The HP PSC printers stink. On a scale of 1 to 5, they get a 1 at most.

I have seen them prevent computers from completeing POST, I have seen them cause Segmentation Faults...

Regardless, it reall is simple. You just share the printer then use the proper driver.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement