This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 09:07:47 am    Post subject:

Apparently Tilem can be run in linux, but I do not really know the first thing about linux or how to compile anything including how to get GTK for linux. I have done some research online and downloaded tilem .973 or what not, but the readme doesn't have any instructions for linux. (I am using fedora). Also, their link to the GTK website is also strictly to the source code. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of GTK and Tilem that are not source and are simply installers or something a little more user friendly for someone who has never used linux before?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 04:46:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you already have gtk installed. If not, install the gimp or something with dependencies.

I can't remember exactly how to install TiLP II in particular, but poke around and look for a file called "readme" or "configure." Either read the readme, or go to the directory in the command prompt and type:
./configure
make
make install

Try that, when you get errors we'll try to solve them as they come up.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 04:47:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 07:19:47 pm    Post subject:

Fedora Linux should already have the GTK libraries installed.

@Alex: he wants Tilem, not tilp, but similar installation process.

bananaman: Tilem was originally written for linux Wink read the README and INSTALL files in the downloadable archive. Actually, I think the calcforge repo may have an .rpm that you could use instead of building it from source, so check that too.

[edit]
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/383/38301.html

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 07:21:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 08:26:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
downloaded tilem .973 or what not, but the readme doesn't have any instructions for linux

Code:
joe@xxxx ~ $ cd Desktop/
joe@xxxx ~/Desktop $ tar -xf tilem-0.973.tar.bz2
joe@xxxx ~/Desktop $ cd tilem-0.973
joe@xxxx ~/Desktop/tilem-0.973 $ ls
AUTHORS      README      bin             config.sub    doc
COPYING      THANKS      config.guess    configure     install-sh
Makefile.in  TODO        config.h.in     configure.ac  pixmaps
NEWS         aclocal.m4  config.h.win32  data          src
joe@xxxx ~/Desktop/tilem-0.973 $ cat README

From Source (Unix)

You will need the GTK+ library (http://www.gtk.org/) version 2.4 or
newer.  GTK+ 1.2 is no longer supported.

In addition, for the full experience, you'll also need libticables2
version 0.0.3 or newer, which you can get from the TiLP project:
http://tilp.sourceforge.net/

Having installed the above, go to the main TilEm directory and run:

./configure

to configure TilEm for your system.  Then run:

make

to compile it, and finally (as root):

make install

TilEm will install into /usr/local/bin by default, with data and
images stored in /usr/local/share.  If you want to install in a
different location, you must specify "--prefix" when you run
configure.  Run "./configure --help" for more information.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 08:27:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 09:56:13 pm    Post subject:

or he could use the binary FC5 i386 .rpm I linked to above Wink
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Sep 2007 10:00:48 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so the Linux lab was down for awhile at school, so I just now had time to try some of your suggestions. I tried compiling it from source, but when I reached the make install step I get this error.
Quote:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rothjo/tilem-0.973/src/tilem'
/usr/bin/install -c -o 0 -g 0 -m 755 -d /usr/local/share/tilem
/usr/bin/install: cannot change owner and permissions of `/usr/local/share/tilem': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rothjo/tilem-0.973/src/tilem'
make: *** [install] Error 2

So I tried downloading the rpm b/c I figured the server probably doesn't give me permission to compile it from the source. But I have no clue how to execute an rpm file. There is no suggested application. I am sorry for my linux ignorance, but I just started using it.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Sep 2007 03:22:46 am    Post subject:

Well if you did configure and make fine without any errors, just navigate to the bin directory in the same folder, some executables will be there. You could also ..... ........ wait for it ....... waaait fooor iiiiit .......... google "linux execute rpm" or "linux compile tilem" or "xx problemhere xx" and get your answers roughly 324 times faster than asking here.

[EDIT] - Hahah a google for 'linux compile tilem' links you to this very post Razz

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2007 03:25:02 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Sep 2007 08:35:00 am    Post subject:

It sounds like the compiling went without errors, which is always a good thing. Try make install as root or the super user ("sudo" + password). Any time you're installing something, you have to be root/super user.

EDIT: I just realized you probably don't have root access on the server. Either use the executables as JoeImp mentioned, or ask an admin to do it for you.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2007 08:35:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Sep 2007 11:47:08 am    Post subject:

So I figured out how to use the rpm, but when I run the command rpm -Uvh blah, I get the following error.
Quote:
error: Failed dependencies:
libticables2.so.1 is needed by tilem-0.973-4.i386

I'm pretty sure I know how to find out what this is. GOOGLE. But I'm running late for class so I don't have the time. I just figured I'd update you on my quest for the holy grail.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Sep 2007 07:23:53 pm    Post subject:

I was surprised that didn't happen the first time around, actually. :D

You need to install tilibs first. It should be broken into parts, which are ticalcs, ticables, and tifiles. You might have to install one before the others, but I don't remember which one.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement