This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 22 Aug 2007 12:42:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've been looking at one specific laptop for quite a while, but I have never felt a real need for a newer laptop until now. Most drivers on this current laptop are starting to fail me, and these integrated graphics are horrible (I can't even play the Need for Speed Carbon Demo without it crashing before the splash screen!). Also, the BioShock Demo has recently popped up some error messages which are equivalent to "Your computer sucks, you need to get a better graphics chipset than the Intel integrated one". Also, the Dark Messiah Demo has given a very low FPS (especially in battles), and Elder Scrolls won't let itself play. Basically, I've had enough of playing games that are at least 4 years old (sometimes even Warcraft 3 crashes, though those are very rare occasions), and I've felt for the need of a tune-up in other areas as well.

The laptop I've been looking at is the Dell Vostro 1500. I have been looking at it because: it's one of those rare computers you can still get with XP (I'm not going to trust Vista until SP2 comes out or until 2 years pass since its release), it has an option to get a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics chipset (there is also a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT one, but it costs much more compared to the minor boost in performance), it has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (I hate my current Intel Pentium M processor), it has a built-in DVD burner (me like, me want to burn 4 GB disk images, me need to stop talking this way), and it has a bundle pack with all the stuff I want with it (what a coincidence) for only $619.

I want your opinions about this laptop and if there is a better one. Also, if you want to post a "better" computer, it must comply to the following requirements:

• It must come with Windows XP. No Vista, no Mac OS, no Linux distributions. Windows XP.
  • It must be a laptop. No towers, please.
  • It must have non-integrated graphics.
  • It must have a clock speed of 2.0 GHz or more if it is single-core, or 1.5 GHz or more if it is dual-core.
  • The processor must be Intel. No AMD, please (I'm not disclosing any reasons why).
  • Battery life must exceed 2 hours when computing at average power, or double that when idle.
  • It must have a DVD burner.
  • The Hard Disk Drive size must be 80 GB or more.
  • It must have at least 1 GB RAM.
  • The total cost (of all the features) must cost less than $650.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2007 12:50:04 pm    Post subject:

It'll be pretty hard to find another computer which meets those criteria...

Last edited by Guest on 22 Aug 2007 12:51:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
pugboy

Posted: 22 Aug 2007 01:32:04 pm    Post subject:

It looks as if that is going to be your best option, and you might have me investing into that laptop too...
Cure

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 09:59:24 am    Post subject:

If I were you, I'd pay the extra for the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT if you're planning on playing some of those games. Also, keep in mind you can get any laptop you want, and still separately buy a copy of XP for $20. Wink
JoostinOnline

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 06:24:42 pm    Post subject:

Cure wrote:
If I were you, I'd pay the extra for the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT if you're planning on playing some of those games.  Also, keep in mind you can get any laptop you want,  and still separately buy a copy of XP for $20.   Wink
[post="111737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hold on!
You cant buy just any laptop brand and expect it to work with xp. I worked at SGU this summer as a computer tech, and I found out that some laptops (almost all the hp models) don't have compatible drivers for xp, so you may end up with no video or sound! Remeber not to buy an HP. Try out an Acer, because I found no reported problems from them, and they had a whole archive full of xp drivers available.
Edit: I just bought an Acer that matched all your specs besides vista (which can be downgraded safely) for $450, plus a free all-in-one and free norton antivirus!

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007 06:28:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 06:43:46 pm    Post subject:

Well guys, what do you know? The price for the laptop dropped by $20... and it now includes a free webcam! OK, so I don't really need the webcam, but the reason I am telling you people this is that Dell usually sells its laptops at a pretty low price. Also, if you ever buy a computer from Dell, whether it be a laptop or a desktop, go to the Small Business section instead of the Home & Home Office section, as you can usually find better quality products for less money than normal.

@Cure: yeah, I'd get the 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT if I really wanted to, but I don't want to bring the price to above $700. Of course, if I had the money I'd be buying an XPS M1710 or an Alienware laptop. :)

@JoostinOnline: what model was it?

Last edited by Guest on 28 Aug 2007 06:46:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cure

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 01:50:21 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
You cant buy just any laptop brand and expect it to work with xp.
lolwut?

Download the drivers if you need them.

And for the record, HP's are great laptops. I would highly recommend them.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 06:15:14 pm    Post subject:

Cure wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:
lolwut?

[post="111815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but they really don't have any good laptops that fit my price range (under $700). The ones they have are either AMD Sempron (and one of my criteria was that the processor was to be Intel), and the only one that fits my price range (at about $550) only has integrated graphics and only has 512 MB of RAM. :hmpf:
JoostinOnline

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 08:41:38 pm    Post subject:

Cure wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:
lolwut?

I never said that HP laptops were bad. However, THERE ARE NO XP DRIVERS AVAILABLE FOR NEW HP LAPTOPS!
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...cname=c01092639
@Delnar_Ersike Its an Acer Aspire 5570Z

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 09:20:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 09:42:57 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
Cure wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:
lolwut?

I never said that HP laptops were bad. However, THERE ARE NO XP DRIVERS AVAILABLE FOR NEW HP LAPTOPS!
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...cname=c01092639
@Delnar_Ersike Its an Acer Aspire 5570Z
[post="111938"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There is only one problem: That laptop model isn't available in the US the last time I checked.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 05:23:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There is only one problem: That laptop model isn't available in the US the last time I checked.

I just bought it a couple of weeks ago at staples, and I live in Oklahoma.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 05:55:04 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
Quote:

I just bought it a couple of weeks ago at staples, and I live in Oklahoma.
[post="111987"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, the Staples in Oklahoma probably has more computers in stock than the stores here in Silicon Valley, California (Cupertino to be more exact), which is pretty ironic. I checked the Circuit City website, Target website, Staples website, and a couple of others and couldn't find the model.
Cure

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 07:59:13 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
THERE ARE NO XP DRIVERS AVAILABLE FOR NEW HP LAPTOPS!
You're kidding, right? Give me proof.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 08:18:04 pm    Post subject:

Cure wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:
THERE ARE NO XP DRIVERS AVAILABLE FOR NEW HP LAPTOPS!
You're kidding, right? Give me proof.
[post="111990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you kidding? Do you mean besides the link I posted to HP's website that says there are no drivers Rolling Eyes . If you don't believe the company itself, then try all the complaints on the internet. Just do a google search.
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 09:05:05 pm    Post subject:

whats funny is hp pulled the printer drivers for 98/me but left the 3.1 drivers lol

Last edited by Guest on 31 Aug 2007 10:01:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 07:01:17 pm    Post subject:

Well looks like I'll be needing this laptop after all, as the fan in my ex-laptop fired today. Neutral

Only problem is that Dell has made the price of the laptop pretty high now (probably to get ready for the holiday season drop in prices), so high it does not fall into my requirements anymore (it now costs $739 with my requirements). I can probably use a different, old laptop for browsing and stuff like that, but does anyone know any laptops that fall into my requirements (just in case the high price stays during the holiday season for some strange reason)?

Last edited by Guest on 17 Sep 2007 06:21:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoostinOnline

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 07:07:39 pm    Post subject:

As far as I know, Dell is the only company that offers XP preinstalled these days, so I don't think that anything is going to meet your requirements. You could (assuming that you have XP installed on your old computer) make a ghost of the hard drive and copy it to a new computer that you buy. That's the only way you are going to get XP on a non-Dell without buying a copy or getting it installed at a university.
Btw, what's a "goliday"? Smile
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 06:23:09 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
As far as I know, Dell is the only company that offers XP preinstalled these days, so I don't think that anything is going to meet your requirements. You could (assuming that you have XP installed on your old computer) make a ghost of the hard drive and copy it to a new computer that you buy. That's the only way you are going to get XP on a non-Dell without buying a copy or getting it installed at a university.
Btw, what's a "goliday"? Smile
[post="112826"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really? Dell is the only vendor offering XP pre-loaded? I thought some other companies had XP laptops as well...

And about the goliday, it's just a typo. :blush:
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 05:51:43 pm    Post subject:

If you're going to use the laptop for high-end gaming, don't. High-performance laptops tend to be heavy, power consuming and age fast. You might want to hold on to your old laptop for a while, and get a desktop PC.

Otherwise you'll end up with a heavy laptop that dies after 1 hour on battery with outdated performance (Desktops are so much easier to upgrade).

Just my 2 cents i guess.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Sep 2007 09:36:08 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
If you're going to use the laptop for high-end gaming, don't. High-performance laptops tend to be heavy, power consuming and age fast. You might want to hold on to your old laptop for a while, and get a desktop PC.

Otherwise you'll end up with a heavy laptop that dies after 1 hour on battery with outdated performance (Desktops are so much easier to upgrade).

Just my 2 cents i guess.
[post="112881"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I Definitely agree with that if you want gaming go for a desktop. You are most likely to be playing those games with the laptop on a table or something so it would be pointless to buy a laptop that will stay on a desk.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement