This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 08:53:02 pm    Post subject:

So today, I was thinking, "Let's give Ubuntu a try." So I downloaded Wubi, a dual-booter and ran ubuntu. It installed and junk, however when I turned it on after reboot, and ran Ubuntu my computer froze before it booted. "Uh oh." was all I could think to myself. So I tried it again and now I can't load windows at all. My boot files (and probably some other essential windows stuff) was destroyed. I think I'm gonna cry! My shiny brand new computer is bwokeded... Neutral
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:05:14 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry. I've been in situations like this before, and there's a good chance it can all be fixed. First, you need to tell us some details. How far does the computer boot before it stops, and what happens when it stops (error message, freezes, reboots, etc.)
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:24:51 pm    Post subject:

Boots right past the little HP logo (after which I assume windows tries to boot) and then I get an error message along the lines of "Windows failed to boot due to... blah blah...

IMPORTANT STUFF:

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while trying to read the boot configuration data.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:25:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:30:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. You said that Ubuntu never installed, right? It just froze before installing? If that's the case, it shouldn't have messed up any boot settings.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:39:44 pm    Post subject:

No I installed it with Wubi, which allows you to dual boot. Here's what happened:

I ran Wubi to install Ubuntu. It was about halfway through when my screensaver came up and I had to leave. When I came home and woke my computer up, it said that ubuntu had failed to install; I don't know if the ubuntu iso was completely downloaded or what. But, I ran it again and it didn't try to download the iso and finished installation. So I restarted and ran Ubuntu from the dual boot where it then installed all of its files and I had to reboot again. This time the Ubuntu loading screen came up and the bar filled to the top. Then my computer froze. I restarted and it said that windows has failed to boot and I can't do anything but access the hardware setup menu and restart. So here I am...

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:40:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cure

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:40:49 pm    Post subject:

You do know that Ubuntu automatically installs a grub loader which lets you choose your OS, a.k.a., duel-booting. I don't see why you ever chose to use a 3rd party program...

Besides, it just sounds like you need to fix the mbr (master boot record). Just pop in your computer's Vista disc, or whatever, choose to repair, or go to a repair console, and type "fix mbr" (at least it works with XP), and it should fix the boot record and you should be able to boot into Windows.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:46:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:44:41 pm    Post subject:

Neutral I didn't know that... Sad I was just on CNET Video where they had a video of how to do it). So, following the folks at CNET's knowledgeable advice I used Wubi.

Here's the link to the video if you want to see my computer's harbinger of doom.

EDIT: And how would I go about doing so?

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:45:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:47:20 pm    Post subject:

Lets see...I'd have to agree with Cure that the mbr is probably messed up. I know in Windows XP you could boot off the XP disk, enter recovery mode, and run some command like "fixmbr" or something, and that'd reinstall/reconfigure the mbr. Does anyone know if there's a similar command to that for Vista?
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:48:48 pm    Post subject:

My computer didn't come with a damned recovery disk. Dry Cheap bastards at HP...
Cure

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:49:51 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't have to be a repair disc. Try the CD that says "For re-installation of Windows Vista" or similar. And the command is "fix mbr". If that doesn't work, try it without the space.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:51:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:53:42 pm    Post subject:

Take a look at this. I haven't used it, but I suspect you could put the fixmbr program on a bootable floppy/cd/flash drive and run it to fix the...well...mbr.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 09:55:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm already trying a different method. I believe it is called Active Partition Recovery. It's a boot disc that can detect deleted partitions (like the MBR) and restore them (I hope).

EDIT: I'll try that too.

EDITii:Didn't work... stupid trial software. Trying the other one now.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 09:59:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:04:42 pm    Post subject:

I looked up Active Partition Recovery, and it looks like it can only recover a backed-up mbr, whereas fixmbr.exe should be able to fix a broken mbr without backup (I think).
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:09:20 pm    Post subject:

I used active to find out that another mbr had been created in place of what should have been the old one. It's corrupted, with a bunc of zeros in it. And its filename is: wubildr

Still about to try the other one.

EDIT: Didn't work. I can't boot an exe file.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 10:13:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:22:47 pm    Post subject:

Well, you don't boot it. What you do is, you put the floppy disk in a working computer, right click it in My Comupter, choose format, and tell it to put system files on it. This way, it should boot into dos. Then, you add fixmbr.exe to the floppy disk, so once you've booted into dos, you can type fixmbr to run it.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:24:43 pm    Post subject:

How do you boot into dos? All I can do is access my hardware info and change the boot order.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:26:51 pm    Post subject:

Put a floppy disk in the working computer you are using now. In My Computer, right click it, choose format, choose Create a MS-DOS startup disk, and click Start. This disk should now boot into DOS. If you add fixmbr.exe to the floppy disk, you can run that program once you boot into DOS.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:27:26 pm    Post subject:

SWEET. Only problem is... that I don't have a floppy disk drive on my laptop. Can I do it with a cd?

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2007 10:28:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:30:20 pm    Post subject:

It's possible, but it's more difficult to create a bootable cd. I can see if there's a bootable disk image online that has an mbr tool (UBCD - Ultimate Boot CD probably does), but then you need special software to burn the iso file to a cd.
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2007 10:31:16 pm    Post subject:

I have all that. Just need the files.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement