This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 11:05:15 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Spam?  [post="110338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Yeah, he's running Win98.
What does his OS ahve to do with "Hey, thanks for the spam."?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 11:41:52 am    Post subject:

There's a rather good chance that, because he's still running Win98, the computer is now a Zombie.
Cure

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 01:19:51 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
alexrudd wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Spam?  [post="110338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Yeah, he's running Win98.
What does his OS ahve to do with "Hey, thanks for the spam."?
He was talking to ForthReich, not you. alexrudd's post before this clarifies.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 01:44:40 pm    Post subject:

What does that have to do with my question?
Cure

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 02:34:03 pm    Post subject:

Didn't you read the entry alexrudd provided? He said there was a good chance ForthReich's computer could now be a zombie computer, and thus be a reason for spam received via email.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 04:15:21 pm    Post subject:

..ok..
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 04:17:31 am    Post subject:

Taricorp wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Don't get a Pentium 4.

128 GB [spam ignored  Razz ]
[post="110328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True, but applications are still limited to 2 GB of memory unless they are compiled with the /HIGHMEMAWARE (or something) flag, since some programs behave abnormally when given more memory.

Coincidentally, there was a good article on this subject not too long ago.
[post="110356"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

His network cable is probably 14' as that is an industry standard length. At work I have dozens of boxes of 14' cables. They are packaged by Lucent Technologies and Avanya. I have never had a bad cable from these companies, FYI and have used at least 2000 cables.

As for XPx64, I recommend you avoid it with a passion. Although it is more secure, robust, and reliable, it is a really bad version of Windows for driver support. There are distributions of Linux, which have better driver support than XP x 64.

As for programs that can use a lot of memory, the rarely compiled 64 bit programs can use extra memory.

Windows 9x has been obsolete for 6 or 7 years. Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft; hence, it is highly recommended to replace Windows 2000 Pro with XP Pro. At least then you can get security updates. Being that 2000 supports all the Win32, WinNT, and pretty much everything that XP does. This means that Windows 2000 supports all the latest security exploits as it shares a nearly identical kernel with XP.

Next time you read about an exploit that affects XP or you hear about a patch for XP, be aware that 2000 has this exact problem and it is not going to get a patch.

You should run only Windows XP or Vista if you are making a Microsoft box for Desktop, Gaming, or Workstation use.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 04:39:59 am    Post subject:

You can upgrade your computer if it is in an ATX case. :-)

Minimum Components to upgrade as they go together based on arcitecture:
Motherboard
Processor
CPU Cooler
Memory (AKA RAM not Hard Disk)

Highly Suggested (Sometimes Unnecessary depending on Motherboard's Capabilities):
Video Card (NETWizz recommends Nvidia based GPUs)

Necessary Upgrade just for You:
Hard Drive (3GB is not large enough for any moder operating system, nor is it likely to support anything higher than ATA/33). However, it will be supported on any new motherboard that supports IDE/PATA.

Possibly Necessary somewhat Recommended:
Power Supply

Optional:
Optical Drive and Case (if ATX and non-proprietary should be optional)

Check your power supply wattage. If the power supply is in good working condition, is ATX, and has at least 300 Watts, you can try to use it. If it does not meet all of the aforementioned specifications or does not have the +4 prong connector, you should buy one that is at least 350 watts, but I would buy nothing less than a 450 watt for even a light-duty computer. You should be able to get a cheap power supply for $40 if you try, or a Case with Power Supply for $70.

Motherboards and Processors are typically sold together with a CPU Cooler. You can get a cheap combo for under $150. I have seen them for $109. Even then it can be Pentium D or some slower Athlon X2.

RAM is cheap now and must work with the motherboard you have. Get a Dual Channel Kit. You should be able to get memory at about $50 per 1 GB

Hard Drives can be picked up cheaply now. You can get acceptable quality Maxtor SATA 200 GB drives on-sale for about $35. They come with 1 year warranty and are OEM. However, if you can afford it, I recommend you get Western Digital OEM SATA 2 Drives. You can get a 250 GB Western Digital for under $70 shipped to you. They are of great quality.

Video Cards:
You can buy Nvidia GPU Chipset cards cheaply compared to ATI due to the competition. Additionally Nvidia cards work well with Non-Windows Operating Systems. For someone on a tight budget, I recommend you get a 7000 series card.

DVD Burners can be attained for about $30 now

Operating System:
XP Pro is king in the Microsoft World. Think of it like Vista Ultimate without the fancy Aero Interface. It supports more software and hardware than Vista. In time, you may eventually wish to run Vista; hence, be certain all of your hardware is Vista Capable.

Here is an estimate of cost:

Motherboard + Processor + Cooler $150
RAM $50
Case & Power Supply $70
Hard Drive $70
Video Card $150
DVD Burner $30

It will be a little over $500 if you do a complete build. You can shave a little bit off of my estimate if you are penny pinching.

I.e. it is possible to:

Motherboard + Processor + Cooler $110
RAM $50
Hard Drive $35
Use Existing Power Supply/Case/Optical Drive and Integrated Graphics

For $195, if you try hard you can have:
Pentium D 805
1 GB RAM
Integrated VIA Graphics
200 GB Hard Drive
Runs XP or Linux Okay and Can be Easily Upgraded.

*Attach your existing 3 GB drive after your complete your re-build/upgrade and install the OS. You can then copy all your data off of the 3 GB drive including your documents, favorites, and desktop items. It will take at least a half hour because 3 GB drives are slow... ATA/33 at the most
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement